Failed medical - Please advise (ACL Reconstruction)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by doughnut007, Nov 30, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    My 16 year old son has just failed his medical due to ACL Reconstruction over a year ago. We had letters from his GP, Physio and consultant stating he has full function and is fit for any activity but the Doctor doing his medical didn't even want to see the letters. He said no, "end of story". Is there anyway we can appeal this? Prove his fitness etc...? He can pass the physical test easily (treadmill run in 9 mins 20secs) and passed every other part of the medical. He is gutted beyond belief having lived, breathed and slept this application for the past 3 months. He runs, cycles 50km easily and plays competitive tennis at a high level. Is this really a permanent no... nothing at all we can do? What about in a few years time?

Any help would be great?
    Cheers

2. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Reading the notes on the RN site it says that any ACL reconstruction is a bar to entry therefore it does not matter how fit your son is. http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/~/media/files/cnr-pdfs/eligibility_form_online_version.pdf

If he is adamant he wants a career at sea it could be worth calling RFA Occupational Health as their medical requirements are less stringent than the RN's. 02392 725243.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex-wren. Don't blame me if it all goes tits up.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Sorry to hear of the circumstances. It's all the more frustrating that it got as far as the medical examination, perhaps prematurely raising false hopes as it is specifically listed as a bar to entry in the application guidance notes and eligibility criteria, as indicated by ex-Jenny.

Unfortunately the Naval Service operates a single service policy & ACL reconstruction is an outright bar and non-negotiable.

It may well be worth checking the policy with regard other services, particularly the RFA.

Best of luck to him.

4. Thanks very much. It looks like no hope at all for him then?
    We will certainly look into the RFA, thanks exjenny for the contact number. The doctor said the Army may take him which surprised me as I thought they would also have a bar on this injury too.
    We will look into all options but at least I can tell him now he has to get his head around never being in the Navy. :((

5. You know I was wondering. Why doesn't the Navy do what the army does and do the online medical questionnaire? Surely this could potentially save time both for the applicant and the recruiters!

6. Nope, we have already had potential recruits hinting they could be dishonest at medical stage about some former injury for example.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The eligibility criteria is actually hosted online (exJenny's link) but very often what happens is potential applicants will see a list of things that bar entry and either not declare it or think that their particular case differs from others.