Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Failed medical - Please advise (ACL Reconstruction)

Hi,
My 16 year old son has just failed his medical due to ACL Reconstruction over a year ago. We had letters from his GP, Physio and consultant stating he has full function and is fit for any activity but the Doctor doing his medical didn't even want to see the letters. He said no, "end of story". Is there anyway we can appeal this? Prove his fitness etc...? He can pass the physical test easily (treadmill run in 9 mins 20secs) and passed every other part of the medical. He is gutted beyond belief having lived, breathed and slept this application for the past 3 months. He runs, cycles 50km easily and plays competitive tennis at a high level. Is this really a permanent no... nothing at all we can do? What about in a few years time?

Any help would be great?
Cheers

exJenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Reading the notes on the RN site it says that any ACL reconstruction is a bar to entry therefore it does not matter how fit your son is. http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/~/media/files/cnr-pdfs/eligibility_form_online_version.pdf

If he is adamant he wants a career at sea it could be worth calling RFA Occupational Health as their medical requirements are less stringent than the RN's. 02392 725243.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex-wren. Don't blame me if it all goes tits up.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Sorry to hear of the circumstances. It's all the more frustrating that it got as far as the medical examination, perhaps prematurely raising false hopes as it is specifically listed as a bar to entry in the application guidance notes and eligibility criteria, as indicated by ex-Jenny.

Unfortunately the Naval Service operates a single service policy & ACL reconstruction is an outright bar and non-negotiable.

It may well be worth checking the policy with regard other services, particularly the RFA.

Best of luck to him.

Thanks very much. It looks like no hope at all for him then?
We will certainly look into the RFA, thanks exjenny for the contact number. The doctor said the Army may take him which surprised me as I thought they would also have a bar on this injury too.
We will look into all options but at least I can tell him now he has to get his head around never being in the Navy. :((

maukjf

Badgeman
Sorry to hear of the circumstances. It's all the more frustrating that it got as far as the medical examination, perhaps prematurely raising false hopes as it is specifically listed as a bar to entry in the application guidance notes and eligibility criteria, as indicated by ex-Jenny.

Unfortunately the Naval Service operates a single service policy & ACL reconstruction is an outright bar and non-negotiable.

It may well be worth checking the policy with regard other services, particularly the RFA.

Best of luck to him.

You know I was wondering. Why doesn't the Navy do what the army does and do the online medical questionnaire? Surely this could potentially save time both for the applicant and the recruiters!

Stirlin

War Hero
You know I was wondering. Why doesn't the Navy do what the army does and do the online medical questionnaire? Surely this could potentially save time both for the applicant and the recruiters!
Nope, we have already had potential recruits hinting they could be dishonest at medical stage about some former injury for example.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The eligibility criteria is actually hosted online (exJenny's link) but very often what happens is potential applicants will see a list of things that bar entry and either not declare it or think that their particular case differs from others.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sj25105815 Failed medical - Appeal outline help please. Joining the Royal Navy 4
lewismansell Failed Aircrew Medical - Advice please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
S failed medical paper review Joining the Royal Navy 4
A Failed medical Joining the Royal Navy 2
B failed medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
R Failed medical, reapplying or possible redo-medical? Joining the Royal Navy 2
M Failed medical Joining the Royal Navy 8
F Failed medical and Appeal. Joining the Royal Navy 7
G Failed for medical reasons - appeal? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
C Failed Medical Joining the Royal Navy 1
O failed medical review Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
D Failed medical requiring advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
L Failed medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
J failed the medical standard for entry due to Gilbert's syndrome? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Failed my medical - TMU Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
M Failed RN Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
M Failed RM medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
S Appealing failed medical (eyesight) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
M Joining different force after failed medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
H failed medical due to high blood pressure Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
F Failed the medical, what now? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
AndyStano Failed Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
R Failed Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
alexb123 Failed Medical!!! Health & Fitness 32
N Failed the medical Health & Fitness 10
C Failed my Medical - Need some advice Health & Fitness 18
mitchman1 failed medical - waiting time on hold ???? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
R Failed Medical? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
B Failed RAF Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
B Failed Vetting Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS AAIB Report: DJI M600 Pro, UAS failed to follow controller inputs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inquiry finds mismanagement at charity that funded failed film project MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inspection Report Published: A reinspection into failed right of abode applications and referral for consideration for enforcement action MoD News 0
S Failed AIB - 12 months wait to retry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
C Failed recruitment eye test Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS Disqualified restaurateurs failed to pay £4 million in taxes MoD News 0
A Failed AIB - Considering Rating route Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
R Failed eye test for rn RFA 6
MoD_RSS Press release: Trustees failed to protect charity from abuse for terrorist purposes, regulator finds MoD News 0
Kiwi33 Re Join question. Failed Diver trying something different. Joining the Royal Navy 2
S Failed the vetting but could not get in touch with my AFCO. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Q Failed eye test - what to do next? Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS Press release: Inquiry into Save the Needy Worldwide finds trustees failed to protect charity funds MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Bosses banned for removing £700k from failed caravan company MoD News 0
TheMau5e Failed AIB entry for warfare Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Press release: Court throws book at printers who failed to complete contracts MoD News 0
B Failed first PJFT Joining the Royal Navy 18
MoD_RSS Press release: Jail for travel agent who failed to explain missing thousands MoD News 0
TheMau5e Failed FATs... Can i still take AIB? The Fleet Air Arm 17
M Failed Officer Selection. Any Advice? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10