Failed for medical reasons - appeal?

Hi everyone

My son has failed entry at the medical stage for the following reasons -

Hyperextension in his knees. True but we believe to be far less than the 10 degrees the staff member quoted.
Acne on back - not excessive and has never stopped him carrying a rucksack while hill walking.
He can't wink, one eye is particularly bad but has already improved with practice.
Ear wax.

He's been to see his doctor today who's arranged for ear irrigation. She agrees his knees have hardly any hyperextension. Acne is obviously treatable and really is very slight.

I realise no one knows can tell me whether an appeal would be successful or not but are they surmountable problems or should he accept their decision?

Thanks

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Obviously, at risk of being a bit boring, only a service health professional can give a definitive answer, but to hopefully manage expectations, I can give a few pointers which may help.

Hypermobility is measured using the Beighton Test, the only way this can be appealed is if another qualified health professional can arrive at an acceptable score and provide you with the evidence required to dispute the original score. More here: https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/hypermobility.98677/#post-602288

Excessive acne can be an issue and if treated with roaccutane, he needs to be three months clear of treatment and as clear as possible from the condition.

He needs to learn to independently close his left eye, leaving his right fully open in order to shoot a weapon. My tip? Follow the advice here: https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/pmu-wink-test-the-solution.63066/

Earwax - once the tympanic membrane can be sighted intact, he's OK.

Good luck.

Thanks so much for your reply, that's really helpful. I wasn't expecting a definite answer just some hope that this isn't the end of the road for him.

The Capita examiner just kind of lifted his leg up from the knee and decided it was more than 10 degrees. I actually think his lack of winking could be his ultimate downfall which would be devasting.

Anyway, thanks again :)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The Capita examiner just kind of lifted his leg up from the knee and decided it was more than 10 degrees. I actually think his lack of winking could be his ultimate downfall which would be devasting
I've yet to come across anyone who has failed to independently keep their right eye open and the left shut with a bit of practice. If he can't do it, he simply hasn't practiced enough.

Incidentally, the word wink is a misnomer and if the doc states he must be able to wink, he/she hasn't got a grasp of why it is necessary to independently close the left eye and keep the right open, by whatever technique works. The method outlined in the link above genuinely works.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Not taking the piss, however, what if the left eye is the favoured ( i.e. the "stronger" ) eye. ?
The cartridge ejection port thingy on the SA80 is on the right, hence the reason everyone fires it right handed. Those who are left eye dominant needn't worry, there's a telescopic sight to compensate. I've not heard of a left-handed shootist suffering in the making of this post however I'm fairly sure there'll be a politically active lobby group demanding we buy the left-handed version of the SA80 to appease this oppressed minority group.

Ganges shooting club used to have some lefty rifles for the minority, forward thinking , waiting for the activity group to kick off, saw a lefty hold a rile on the right and try to use his left eye, the GI had a quiet word with him, using all the polite words available in the GI BR

Jacobus

Lantern Swinger
Hold the phone. (And with all due respects to the OP and her son); you mean that there isn't a lefty SA-80 firing LBGT solar powered bus shelter support group in existence? How has this been allowed to happen ? Travesty. I'd write to my MP if I had one. At the very least we need to get Diane Abbott on to this.

Yes we need her. To sort out how to fire the SA-800, no wait, SA-8000, give me a moment, yes its the SA-80000.

The weapon only to be fired on white, male, heterosexuals.
When zeroing in from a few hundred yards how would we know their sex, ethnicities or sexuality, let's all just be friends and have a nice cup of tea.
May be slightly of thread
Try putting a patch over his left eye, so his right one will not know what it's doing and practice opening and closing right eye, call them very long blinks.

BigD1980

Lantern Swinger
When zeroing in from a few hundred yards how would we know their sex, ethnicities or sexuality, let's all just be friends and have a nice cup of tea.
May be slightly of thread
Try putting a patch over his left eye, so his right one will not know what it's doing and practice opening and closing right eye, call them very long blinks.
I dont understand what the issue is you get provided with an eye patch if you have a lazy eye.
So what other possible reason is there.