Failed first PJFT

Bonus-combat

Midshipman
Hello,
I am absolutely gutted, I failed my first PJFT.
Not because of my physical fitness but because I was so nervous and felt the pressure.
It was at a new gym I'd never been to, and all of it was just a bit daunting.
Im not usually a nervous person but this hit me.

Is it normally 6 week wait for a retake or can It be shortened?

I'm not giving up for this.

Sumo

War Hero
You need to stay fit and stay focused, there will be many challenges ahead, just going to a different gym will seem minor, just relax and think I can pass fitness anywhere and just do it?
In the next 6 week visit lots of new gyms, just to look around, get the feeling they are all the same, just look or are layed out different.
Good luck

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
This amazes me. If you were/are that nervous at changing a gym FFS, I wonder about your suitability to join. Seriously.

You do not state your age - if young, commence something that will exercise you mentally and physically.

In your current state, if a different gym 'freaks you out' , how would you fare on a ship, in a narrow passage way, with 4000psi hydraulic oil spraying out, or air, or a fire? Or indeed ANYTHING stressful? At this time you would be a liability to your shipmates and not part of the team.

Harsh? But true.

Bonus-combat

Midshipman
This amazes me. If you were/are that nervous at changing a gym FFS, I wonder about your suitability to join. Seriously.

You do not state your age - if young, commence something that will exercise you mentally and physically.

In your current state, if a different gym 'freaks you out' , how would you fare on a ship, in a narrow passage way, with 4000psi hydraulic oil spraying out, or air, or a fire? Or indeed ANYTHING stressful? At this time you would be a liability to your shipmates and not part of the team.

Harsh? But true.

I was suitable enough to get to this stage. It was a bad day not a massive setback. I will get up and try again, I'm not gonna fail because of this. You can grow and learn and improve. Considering your meant to be a help and encouragement not putting down

WreckerL

War Hero
S-B isn't putting you down, just stating fact.

If going to a different gym puts you so far out of your comfort zone that you fail a fitness test (really??) then the Armed Forces may not be for you.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
You should contact the gym, explain your circumstances and see if they offer a free gym pass to enable you to practice several times on the exact treadmill.

guns1969

Lantern Swinger
I was suitable enough to get to this stage. It was a bad day not a massive setback. I will get up and try again, I'm not gonna fail because of this. You can grow and learn and improve. Considering your meant to be a help and encouragement not putting down
I refer the OP to the name of this site, This is the UN-Official Navy Website, and is in NO Way guaranteed to give you accurate info regarding anything. so stop crying in your milk, grow a set and man up, and buy a torch 'cos it gets dark earlier now.

Drakey

War Hero
If you were in any way reasonably fit (which I doubt) going to a different gym is a poor excuse for failing the PJFT. There will be many unfamiliar events during your time at Raleigh and beyond.

Sandra

Midshipman
Word of warning the PJFT is the easy part the PRNC is tough you will need to train hard if you want to pass that and impress and you’ll need to try and cope with your nerves

pompeyexpat

War Hero
If you were in any way reasonably fit (which I doubt) going to a different gym is a poor excuse for failing the PJFT. There will be many unfamiliar events during your time at Raleigh and beyond.
I’m not normally one for kicking a man when he’s down, and I get that nerves can adversely affect your performance, it happens at Raleigh every week in the week 1 RNFT.

But I have to say I’m with Drakey here. The RNFT standard isn’t especially high, the PJFT even less so. If you were as fit as you should be then you should be able to pass despite the unfamiliar surroundings and the nerves. As a 46 year old who can comfortably complete the RNFT at the standard required of a 16-24 year old, and I’m a long way from superfit, I really struggle to have any sympathy for those that young men & women that can’t pass.

Sumo

War Hero
I’m not normally one for kicking a man when he’s down, and I get that nerves can adversely affect your performance, it happens at Raleigh every week in the week 1 RNFT.

But I have to say I’m with Drakey here. The RNFT standard isn’t especially high, the PJFT even less so. If you were as fit as you should be then you should be able to pass despite the unfamiliar surroundings and the nerves. As a 46 year old who can comfortably complete the RNFT at the standard required of a 16-24 year old, and I’m a long way from superfit, I really struggle to have any sympathy for those that young men & women that can’t pass.
That's it fence sit and beat around the bush.

Mr_Gillette

Midshipman
Was it the run you failed on, or the blood pressure test beforehand? If it was the blood pressure test then I get why the nerves will have contributed to it.

WannabeAdmiral

Lantern Swinger
but what if your nerves make you press fast instead of slow, could mess up your whole day.
Where I went for my PJFT, the woman set the time for me. I whacked it up so I'd finish in 10 minutes, and that's all the hard work done - you don't even have to worry about pace, just keeping up with the machine.