Failed FATS for AC but told to come back for pilot?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Jtaylor, Dec 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got back from FATS today was aiming to pass for AC however I royally screwed up the verbal reasoning parts which quite obviously matters a great deal. However during the debrief the naval officer suggested I come back in 12 months as there would be good chance I would pass as a pilot. Good news! I thought however as I lack UCAS points this would require a huge commitment for what would seem a incredibly small chance of working out.

And more to the point is there REALLY a realistic chance of jumping from failing AC to passing as a pilot? And as he only mentioned "a pass" presumably that wouldn't be enough at AIB? But I would of like to think he mentioned it for a reason as I didn't ask about my P or O score.

I'll speak to my CA but I was wondering anyone on here might be able to clear up the matter.

Cheers in advance
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Generally speaking, I'd guess you were being given what is known in the trade as a "pooh sandwich".

Basically you did not score high enough for any aircrew or ATC trade but scored higher for aircrew than AC - still not enough to get selected though.

There is no waiver of the UCAS points for Warfare Officer trades, so you will need them anyway unless you apply after joining & at risk of peeing on the smouldering embers, those that re-take FATs seldom dramatically increase their scores high enough for selection.

That said, best of luck - worse things happen at sea so don't let me put you off - postpone any thought of dejection until you are debriefed by your AFCO.
  3. Hmm, might disagree with you there ninja! A friend of mine, who is a fleet air arm observer, took FATs and failed for everyhting including ATC. She then did lots of speed dist time and computer games and knowing her left from her rights when things were inverted. She then ended up passing for observer. Go figure.
  4. It does help though.
  5. So what else is new. :roll:
  6. Ninja_Stoker

The concept of being incorrect is not entirely alien to me as my wife is good enough to draw my attention to this outlandish prospect regularly, in fact even before I awake on some days.

The issue is that whilst core skills such as maths can be developed with practice, there is generally an innate ability required for aircrew that is either possessed or isn't - if the ability is there then academic aspects can be improved. The possession of a PPL for example, does not a Service pilot make & the lack of UCAS points precludes the opportunity to resit FATs for aircrew unless the individual joins the service first, has sufficient GCSE's & again applies for Officer.

The art of managing realistic expectations is often simply best described as calling a spade a pooh shifting implement rather than giving rise to false hope in implying a fail is a deferred pass. Yes it can be achieved, but the odds are statistically against it, so whilst encouraging aspirations, the likelihood of achieving it must also be honestly delivered.
  7. Gaining the required UCAS points isn't such the issue as had my family not moved I would of had the required amount so I'm disregarding the matter for now. However as Ninja stated if it's the matter that the officer just mentioned my aircrew score was higher in a rather odd fashion I'd accept that but to quote the man "statistically you stand a good chance of passing for pilot in 12 months time and you would almost certainly pass for AC."

Not exactly the worlds best feedback but I'd hedge my bets that given a second chance I would improve my score in verbal reasoning and the 'trace' test which were the areas that let me down. If that would be dramatic enough of an improvement to be competitive enough for AIB is another story.

I agree the odds of this paying off are slim to none however if at the AFCO debrief there is a small glimmer of hope I'd rather take my chances. I would like to think he mentioned it for a reason, that being my aircrew score wasn't that short of passing however I'm probably just being naively optimistic.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

As they say, it's always worth looking on the bright side of life whilst remembering you can pass FATs but not at a high enough level to get selected, likewise AIB also.

Assuming your RT score is high enough for Officer (there's a good chance it is if you scored high enough for AC), you have good management/leadership potential, then perhaps it is worth looking at gaining the required minimum 180 UCAS points (in one sitting if over 13 months have elapsed since you last sat A levels) and focussing toward AIB too.

Best of luck.
  9. If you fail/don't pass for desired choice ie. pilot/observer etc, how soon can you go back for a second shot? Is it a case of whenever your ready to and can get a date, or is there a set time you have to wait?
  10. You can only attend FATS once every 12 months unless you are ill while at Cranwell prior to you starting the tests.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Strictly speaking you only get one shot at FATs & it remains valid.

Those that manage to put up a good case, get a letter from the Pope to verify, and can provide receipts for the purchase of a leather flying jacket/flying hat, goggles & silk scarf may exceptionally be granted a second go after 12 months.
  12. No one mentioned receipts!

My mistake I thought you could always go back in 12 months regardless of the outcome. Will my CA receive the results of my FATS or will I need to explain the whole situation?
  13. You are able to retake you FAT's after 12 months, when i was down there doing mine 3 weeks ago the officer there said you can take them as many times as you want until age becomes a factor.
  14. You can retake your FATs after 12 months.
  15. Ninja_Stoker

As already stated, strictly speaking you are permitted one go at FATS, it's then down to your ACLO whether you are worth a second or subsequent series of attempts based on your previous scores.

Frankly if an individual fails twice there is little financial justification in continuing to keep sending them back in the hope that the assessor will eventually relent out of sheer boredom.

Sadly the comprehension of "not passing" takes a while to sink in for some people, even after two attempts.

One would suggest that cost becomes a factor before age.
  16. Given there are also a large number of candidates who pass FAT first time but don't then get selected for aircrew on the strength of the FAT score, consider whether is it likely your score will increase so much that you'll be ahead of all the rest of the field?
  17. I don't know hence why I asked that very question in my first post...

Thanks for the help everyone.
  18. Cheers also for the response to my retake question..not that I plan on failing...unless I dont have my weetabix...