Failed FATs... Can i still take AIB?

AFAIK FATs are a one time thing. It’s a test of aptitude, kinda in the name. But you can go to AIB as any other branch save being a Pilot/Observer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was told i have to wait a year to retake, does that mean i can retake after AIB or during Dartmouth?
I would think neither, I have waited 12 months to retake FATS and was told I could not be booked into AIB till I pass them or change my choice of role.

Based on the intakes into BRNC for the roles, there aren't many places for aircrew, so you will either have to wait 12 months and retake your FATs or you will have to change your role before they will allow you to go to the AIB

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Do you have any numbers on people who pass on the second time round? As it's an aptitude test I would have thought if you fail once, you probably fail again?
I don't unfortunately. I do know people have marginally increased their score but understand a fail is seldom converted to a pass upon retake.

Do you have any numbers on people who pass on the second time round? As it's an aptitude test I would have thought if you fail once, you probably fail again?
I believe that RN FATS are identical to RAF aircrew aptitude tests. While I don’t have exact statistics, scores tend to improve slightly each time you take them (like the RN, RAF applicants are not allowed to retake within 12 months).

Therefore, it depends what your scores were. If you were way under, you’re unlikely to improve sufficiently to pass no matter how many times you retake. If you only just failed however, you may be successful.

It’s then down to what the RN cut offs are. For instance, we get so many aircrew applicants in the RAF (over 20 OASC attendees for every one post) that we can afford to take only those applicants who demonstrate particularly strong aptitude (as well as the other qualities looked for during the full selection process). However, I’m not sure what the RN applicant-requirement ratio is.

Good luck!

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
While I don’t have exact statistics, scores tend to improve slightly each time you take them (like the RN, RAF applicants are not allowed to retake within 12 months).
Last time I took my fats, almost 12 months ago, I scored 109 where as 112 is required for Pilot, so I am very much hoping this is true!

Last time I took my fats, almost 12 months ago, I scored 109 where as 112 is required for Pilot, so I am very much hoping this is true!
An improvement is common although a competitive score for the RAF (again, I emphasise that I don't know what the RN would consider competitive) would be more like 130.

All I can say is practice lots of mental arithmetic (you can get apps) and hand-eye coord stuff.

For what it's worth, I think 109 is also just above the pass mark for RPAS(P) in the RAF.

Best of luck!

Regards,
MM

I believe that RN FATS are identical to RAF aircrew aptitude tests. While I don’t have exact statistics, scores tend to improve slightly each time you take them (like the RN, RAF applicants are not allowed to retake within 12 months).

Therefore, it depends what your scores were. If you were way under, you’re unlikely to improve sufficiently to pass no matter how many times you retake. If you only just failed however, you may be successful.

It’s then down to what the RN cut offs are. For instance, we get so many aircrew applicants in the RAF (over 20 OASC attendees for every one post) that we can afford to take only those applicants who demonstrate particularly strong aptitude (as well as the other qualities looked for during the full selection process). However, I’m not sure what the RN applicant-requirement ratio is.

Good luck!

Regards,
MM
Cheers for the info.

And thanks for the luck too! However, I'm ex-RN and have no aspirations of a life in aviators and an olive drab onesie, I was just asking out of interest, but I'll take all the luck I can get.