Failed CDT

Jakeyboy

Hi folks over two years ago I was discharged from the army for failing a cdt. Obviously this was a huge mistake and I certainly learnt my lesson since being out. So I'm wondering what my chances are of applying to the navy if any thanks in advance for any help.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Hi folks over two years ago I was discharged from the army for failing a cdt. Obviously this was a huge mistake and I certainly learnt my lesson since being out. So I'm wondering what my chances are of applying to the navy if any thanks in advance for any help.

A positive CDT in any service is a permanent bar to joining the Naval Service.

In short, Nil.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I'll just add something to this thread in case I seem as being a judgemental, uncaring individual...

A few years back, the Father of a Royal Marine recruit who failed CDT at Lympstone contacted me to ask whether he could rejoin...a decade after discharge.

The Father is a personal friend of mine, ex-matelot and a cracking chap. I suggested it maybe worth his son writing an appeal on the grounds that most criminal convictions can be rehabilitated, leaving the individual eligible to join the Armed Forces once the penalty is spent under the rehabilitation of offenders act.

Being a self-styled Petrocelli (messdeck lawyer) there were two other avenues I thought worthy of further investigation:

1. You cannot be prosecuted if you are compelled to provide evidence against yourself.

2. A positive CDT results in an administrative discharge, not a conviction.

The response from Fleet Legal was an upper case, large font Foxtrot Oscar. It's effectively a sacking for gross misconduct in breach of your Terms & Conditions of Service.

The good news is my oppo still bought me a pint for trying.

Slightly off track but I remember living in a 6 man mess at CU, I eventually managed to scam a single cabin and a week later the mess was busted by the police (civvies not reggies), 4 of the lads were dealing LSD around the Helston area, the sheets of tabs were pinned to the back of their headboards to dry. I was oblivious to it all.

Back in the late 80's

Last edited:

Latest Threads