Failed because of eyesight

Hey I pasted my psychometric test about 2weeks ago. However I then failed my medical because of my eyesight. They sent me the letter back saying I'd failed with a letter saying which types of laser eye surgery are accpted. I have been thinking of getting this done before but was hoping to pass without it. Has any one out there been in a similar postion and joined up succesfully after surgery?

I had Lasik surgery in 2005 and have successfully completed the medical elements of the application process. It used to be that you had to be within a certain prescription pre-surgery to be eligble for the RN afterwards - this may or may not be the case still. You must also wait 12 months post surgery before applying.

My advice to you - you will see all kinds of offers and deals but remember these are your eyes, not the latest drinks offer at the pub. Find a reputable clinic with an extensive record of success and be cautious of those places which offer a price that looks too good to be true. I have seen the effect of a cheap procedure and it isn't nice. Done well the procedure is great and the benefits well worth the cost.

(Initial post stating 6 month wait before applying was incorrect, edited to reflect current 12 month wait policy)

Yes I've heard you can't be worse than -6 before treatemeant to join. Did you have to see a navy specilist to do you medical because you'd had laser eye surgery, or provide loads of paperwork? Thanks for your advice

ben12 said:
Yes I've heard you can't be worse than -6 before treatemeant to join. Did you have to see a navy specilist to do you medical because you'd had laser eye surgery, or provide loads of paperwork? Thanks for your advice
No, I had to tick a box on the application and on the optician form to say i'd had it done but nobody even mentioned it. I did send a letter with my pre-surgery prescription and planned type of treatment to the Central Air and Admiralty Medical Board to get it in writing that providing everything went well I would be medically suitable so that I had something to come back to if anything went wrong. As it is the subject has not even come up during the process.

ok Thanks Ninja_Stoker with having already pasted my psychometric test is it 12 months before I can go back to the careers office to re-apply or could u re apply sooner if all seemd well.