Failed because of eyesight

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ben12, Feb 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey I pasted my psychometric test about 2weeks ago. However I then failed my medical because of my eyesight. They sent me the letter back saying I'd failed with a letter saying which types of laser eye surgery are accpted. I have been thinking of getting this done before but was hoping to pass without it. Has any one out there been in a similar postion and joined up succesfully after surgery?
  2. I had Lasik surgery in 2005 and have successfully completed the medical elements of the application process. It used to be that you had to be within a certain prescription pre-surgery to be eligble for the RN afterwards - this may or may not be the case still. You must also wait 12 months post surgery before applying.

My advice to you - you will see all kinds of offers and deals but remember these are your eyes, not the latest drinks offer at the pub. Find a reputable clinic with an extensive record of success and be cautious of those places which offer a price that looks too good to be true. I have seen the effect of a cheap procedure and it isn't nice. Done well the procedure is great and the benefits well worth the cost.

(Initial post stating 6 month wait before applying was incorrect, edited to reflect current 12 month wait policy)
  3. Yes I've heard you can't be worse than -6 before treatemeant to join. Did you have to see a navy specilist to do you medical because you'd had laser eye surgery, or provide loads of paperwork? Thanks for your advice
  4. No, I had to tick a box on the application and on the optician form to say i'd had it done but nobody even mentioned it. I did send a letter with my pre-surgery prescription and planned type of treatment to the Central Air and Admiralty Medical Board to get it in writing that providing everything went well I would be medically suitable so that I had something to come back to if anything went wrong. As it is the subject has not even come up during the process.
  5. You could become a traffic warden, don't need good eyesight for that.
  6. But a twisted mind helps :lol:
  7. Footy referee springs to mind
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's twelve, at present.
  9. ok Thanks Ninja_Stoker with having already pasted my psychometric test is it 12 months before I can go back to the careers office to re-apply or could u re apply sooner if all seemd well.
  10. I stand corrected. i'll edit the initial post in case people don't scroll down.