Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Failed at Selection Interview - Looking for advice going forwards

dg1505

Midshipman
Hi All,

On Monday (26th) I had my Officer Selection Interview (pre-AIB) by telephone.

I felt the interview went well however the WO informed me that I had only just missed out on a passing mark. He told my that my knowledge was excellent, however I missed out on leadership experience (I had no leadership experience during my last 2 years at college) and my physical prep could have been better.

Initially I was told that my application would be deferred for a few months, however later that day I was informed by another phone call that my application was being rejected and I have to wait 12 months before re-applying for the same position (Aircrew Officer Pilot).

I am still determined and will be volunteering at my local cadet unit to gain more leadership experience and spend this time working on my fitness as well.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about other things I could be doing to make myself a more appealing candidate over the next 12 months?

I plan to apply for pilot again in 12 months and if I fail again I will begin looking for another position.

Thanks all,

Last edited:

Drakey

War Hero
Here's a tip. Don't put your real name in the post and don't put your date of birth as part of your user name.

You're welcome.

dg1505

Midshipman
Oops, that was definitely an oversight. Sorted.

I'm 18 years of age, finished college and in full time work.

Thanks

Last edited:

soleil

War Hero
Thanks Soleil,

I take it my youth makes me a less appealing candidate at this stage?

Thanks

To the contrary, I was going to give you a link to something interesting which is only available to someone of your age.

18 is the ideal age to get yourself in the running to be a pilot with the Fleet Air Arm, incidentally.

dg1505

Midshipman
Here you go, have a look at this.

Applications open at the beginning of December.

Thank you very much that's brilliant. I'm definitely going to apply.

Since I can't apply again for 12 months, this will make me 19, nearly 20 when I can apply again. Is this still considered a decent age to apply?

I must be honest I was taken aback by the rejection as I had been given hope by the prospect of a deferral. The WO told me he didn't want to have too many applications ongoing at one time so hey-ho.

But thanks again, I'm definitely going to give that a go.

soleil

War Hero
Yes, it's still a good age to apply.

You're actually in an excellent position now, to be honest. When you apply again next year, you will be coming to this with an extra insight into what the requirements are which other applicants won't have because they are brand new.

In the interim, see whether it is possible to subscribe to Navy News.

Good idea to keep up the fitness, you don't want to neglect it and then get frustrated with yourself because you are not as fit as you were.

I was wondering earlier whether the Duke of Edinburgh's Award was a possibility for you?

You might find the Jubilee Sailing Trust interesting:

I would also suggest thinking up a project you could do in the area in which you live and then setting it up.

A friend of mine, for instance, restores military graves. Could you create a database of military graves in your area and create a team of local people to have a look at them and give them a gentle tidy? (I say 'gentle tidy' as a proper clean requires permission and know-how).

Can you think of anything which would help your community this Christmas? Can you identify a need, work out how to fulfil that need and then implement what needs to be done in practical terms?

Could you arrange for a small group of carol singers to visit each street near you in December?

Might it be possible to organise something with cadets helping people at supermarkets to pack their shopping and take it to their cars?

Obviously, you must take into account the current Covid restrictions in place with any of these endeavours.

The best mix is probably going to be tapping into schemes which already exist but also sitting and thinking up a project of your own.

Waspie

War Hero
Thanks Soleil,

I take it my youth makes me a less appealing candidate at this stage?

Thanks
OP, when I was on 819 NAS. I had a 18 year old midshipman driving me round the sky's of Scotland in a Sea King.

Age - I spit at age. It's wether you can do the job not your age.

I was too old to transfer to aircrew they said!! Guess what I did - Aircrewman. I proved I could do the job and convinced them I was a worth while investment!!!

SeaHawk14

Midshipman
Hi All,

On Monday (26th) I had my Officer Selection Interview (pre-AIB) by telephone.

I felt the interview went well however the WO informed me that I had only just missed out on a passing mark. He told my that my knowledge was excellent, however I missed out on leadership experience (I had no leadership experience during my last 2 years at college) and my physical prep could have been better.

Initially I was told that my application would be deferred for a few months, however later that day I was informed by another phone call that my application was being rejected and I have to wait 12 months before re-applying for the same position (Aircrew Officer Pilot).

I am still determined and will be volunteering at my local cadet unit to gain more leadership experience and spend this time working on my fitness as well.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about other things I could be doing to make myself a more appealing candidate over the next 12 months?

I plan to apply for pilot again in 12 months and if I fail again I will begin looking for another position.

Thanks all,
Hi,

I think that you're going about it the right way. The main thing is to make yourself look as appealing and as well rounded as possible. Bear in mind apparently there has been an absolute mass of applicants for the role of Aircrew Pilot, you really need to demonstrate to them that you are the best candidate for the role.

So their advice of finding leadership experience is important, that can be through helping out with cadets or if you're employed then looking at roles of responsiblity and charity work where you can. Any opportunity to say "I was responsible for leading a team of... the outcome was..." is worth your time.

Work on your shortcomings, ie. fitness, thats an easy thing within your control. If you're dedicated enough then you'll do the fitness, and it's a matter of doing as well as possible (again - amount of applicants looking to take those positions).

Good Luck

Martnet

I would also suggest thinking up a project you could do in the area in which you live and then setting it up.

A friend of mine, for instance, restores military graves. Could you create a database of military graves in your area and create a team of local people to have a look at them and give them a gentle tidy? (I say 'gentle tidy' as a proper clean requires permission and know-how).

Can you think of anything which would help your community this Christmas? Can you identify a need, work out how to fulfil that need and then implement what needs to be done in practical terms?

Could you arrange for a small group of carol singers to visit each street near you in December?

Might it be possible to organise something with cadets helping people at supermarkets to pack their shopping and take it to their cars?

Obviously, you must take into account the current Covid restrictions in place with any of these endeavours.

The best mix is probably going to be tapping into schemes which already exist but also sitting and thinking up a project of your own.
Adding on to soleil's excellent suggestions - if you're looking to join in with an existing project or get help identifying a need in your area that you could design a project around, your local church is a great resource. You might consider contacting your local vicar (details will be at: achurchnearyou.com) and explain what you're looking to do. Most clergy are all too aware of the needs in their community and probably already have projects that they'd love to do but don't have the time/people to organise them right now.

dg1505

Midshipman
Thank you very much all for your suggestions and wisdom, it has given me a boost on my lunch break.

In response to Soleil, I'm looking to do my D of E as a cadet instructor as I'm still within the age range.

My plan is to dedicate some of my time to keeping current on naval affairs, I'm well placed having close relatives (very close) currently serving in the navy.

My hope is to take on more responsibility at work in the near future and I will take on board all of your great advice and try to put together something to demonstrate my own leadership skills in a personal endeavour.

Thank you all very much

Zoidberg

War Hero
I failed my AIB earlier this year but the key point to note is they don't look for a finished product. The RN teach you how they want you to lead so they want the potential and drive to succeed more than anything.

If you can show competence in leading, communicating and generally working with or around groups of people as diverse as possible, I'd wager that almost anything you do would go a long way to aiding your next application.

EDIT: Also take note of how you sell it. That's a big factor.

dg1505

Midshipman
I failed my AIB earlier this year but the key point to note is they don't look for a finished product. The RN teach you how they want you to lead so they want the potential and drive to succeed more than anything.

If you can show competence in leading, communicating and generally working with or around groups of people as diverse as possible, I'd wager that almost anything you do would go a long way to aiding your next application.
Thanks zoidberg,

I should mention that I had some examples to give which were on my questionnaire.

This included managing shifts at work since I am fairly experienced in my field compared to my coworkers and organising a charity event when I was in school for HfH. However these were not recent enough to be considered by the WO which I understand.

My plan is to (hopefully) build up more experience and examples of leadership to become a candidate they can't say no to (again, hopefully).

Thank you all for your help so far.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Failed Officer Selection. Any Advice? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
J So, I failed UOTC selection. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS Commission finds trustees failed to protect charity from founder who misused funds MoD News 0
A Excess Weight - COVID challenges and a failed medical Joining the Royal Navy 0
W Failed Medical- Eczema Joining the Royal Navy 5
B Failed Vetting Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS AAIB Report: DJI M600 Pro, UAS failed to follow controller inputs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inquiry finds mismanagement at charity that funded failed film project MoD News 0
S failed medical paper review Joining the Royal Navy 4
A Failed medical Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS Inspection Report Published: A reinspection into failed right of abode applications and referral for consideration for enforcement action MoD News 0
S Failed AIB - 12 months wait to retry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
C Failed recruitment eye test Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS Disqualified restaurateurs failed to pay £4 million in taxes MoD News 0
A Failed AIB - Considering Rating route Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
R Failed eye test for rn RFA 6
B failed medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Press release: Trustees failed to protect charity from abuse for terrorist purposes, regulator finds MoD News 0
Kiwi33 Re Join question. Failed Diver trying something different. Joining the Royal Navy 2
S Failed the vetting but could not get in touch with my AFCO. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Q Failed eye test - what to do next? Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS Press release: Inquiry into Save the Needy Worldwide finds trustees failed to protect charity funds MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Bosses banned for removing £700k from failed caravan company MoD News 0
TheMau5e Failed AIB entry for warfare Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Press release: Court throws book at printers who failed to complete contracts MoD News 0
B Failed first PJFT Joining the Royal Navy 18
MoD_RSS Press release: Jail for travel agent who failed to explain missing thousands MoD News 0
R Failed medical, reapplying or possible redo-medical? Joining the Royal Navy 2
M Failed medical Joining the Royal Navy 8
TheMau5e Failed FATs... Can i still take AIB? The Fleet Air Arm 17
F Failed medical and Appeal. Joining the Royal Navy 7
G Failed for medical reasons - appeal? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
sj25105815 Failed medical - Appeal outline help please. Joining the Royal Navy 4
C Failed Medical Joining the Royal Navy 1
J Failed CDT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 50
O failed medical review Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
S Failed AIB to Rating Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
D Failed medical requiring advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
M Failed driving test's! The Quarterdeck 0
L Failed medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
J failed the medical standard for entry due to Gilbert's syndrome? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Failed my medical - TMU Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
M Failed RN Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
anchor_face_⚓️ Sea pay for a failed civvy UPO 4
M Failed RM medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
R Failed Royal Navy Eye Test | CIS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S Appealing failed medical (eyesight) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
N Failed my RT but still got enough points for WE CIS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
M Joining different force after failed medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Failed medical - Please advise (ACL Reconstruction) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6