Failed Aircrew Officers? What Happens?

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Fullback32, Mar 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I did a search but couldn't come up with anything recent, apologies if this has been asked before.

What happens to Aircrew Officers (Pilot) who fail flight grading after they have been through BRNC? What options would be open to them?

2. This is not bang up to date but from my (fairly) recent experience I would say it depends on several factors and each case is treated on its merits. Factors include:

What are the needs of the Service in other branches

How well have you done in other aspects of the training

What are your wishes

In other words, if there are gaps in other branches, you have done well in the other aspects of your training and you want to stay in, then it is POSSIBLE you might be offered a chance to transfer branch and continue training.

Obviously the converse is also true.

I stand to be corrected if things have changed.
  3. Well aircrew are not real occifers anyway, just someone with an aptitude to fly. So if you haven't got the aptitude and wish to remain in the wardroom a branch change to steward may be required :p
  4. Perhaps another A.T.C.O. Many of them were failed Pilots and Observers. A long time ago I know, don`t know the rules for to-day.
  5. If they are too thick to pass as an Aircrew occifer, they then usually end up as MP's or put in charge of the banks :roll:
  6. I think, depending on what exactly happened and how well you've done in other areas you could be offered to have a go at Observer grading, and failing that maybe ATCO.
  7. You think!
    Fck me you will certainly make an excellent occifer, not even in, don't know what the fck you are talking about and still offering advice :oops:
    Thank fck you will never be my D.O. :twisted:
    If you don't know the answer, do not answer the question (unless you are taking the piss, that is acceptable)
  8. The answer is, as ever, needs of the service. You may be able to go dabber, or ATC, or at one time 2-3 years ago, they pushed several schoolie.

However, manning being what it is, it's equally possible/probable that it will be the big Compulsory Withdrawal from Training.

To be honest, that's about as good an answer as you'll get given that the situation may be radically different by the time you are in a position to be worried by it.
  9. Sorry slim, but that's what I heard down at Yeovilton, but just for you I'll remember to drop the thinking next time! :roll:

10. "No Flying Pay"
  11. No problem :p
    Just remember that if you don't know the answer, don't put your hand up.
    Unless of course you are going to take the piss :p
  12. Okay, thanks for the advice, I'll remember it!
  13. See you've started taking the piss already :p
  14. Failing pilot training at such an early stage means the RN has invested little money in you and can afford to be more chosey than if you fail at a later stage. They are not required to offer you anything else but normally do; after all you've passed the selection criteria for RN Officer, so you've got a head-start on someone fresh off Civvie Street and are a bit more of a known entity.

One of my original course (some time ago, I admit) failed to fly the Chippie to the standard required (might have had something to do with edge lights at Plymouth :? ) and he ended up going to drive boats (or whatever the fish-headed types do). One on the next course was re-branded as a Zero (I think the correct term being Observer).

As stated above; it's all up to the needs of the Service and how you've faired during your aptitude tests. After all, they're not likely to chuck you in the back of a Sea King if you failed your Observer aptitude tests (unlikely though that ever might be, having been chosen as a Pilot God in the first place :lol: ). I know a couple of guys who started out as pilots and ended up on the other end of the wireless but they are few and far between, as most pilots who go fisheading will want to go the more warfare orientated route i.e. PWO etc.

Hey, if it all goes for a complete bag of worms; you fail pilot, fail BRNC, fail to become a Schoolie and then catch a nasty disease in the flesh pots of Plymouth at least you'll be well qualified to join the RAF.
  15. Shouldn't you be thinking about how to pass at the moment, rather than what happens if you fail. Cross that bridge when you come to it!
  16. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Pontius, you missed out the vital part of crab qualifying .... the sense of humour bypass coupled with augmentation of the "me-me-me-super-ego" complex.
  17. I was just being kind to the Junior Service. They have SO many crosses to bear that it just seemed unkind pointing out too many of their failings :wink: After all, we don't want them going home crying and telling their Mums that the RN bullies have given them Chinese burns again.

We should try but, as Mr Williams once pointed out, it's hard to be humble when you're so f***ing good.
  18. I thought the "the sense of humour bypass coupled with augmentation of the "me-me-me-super-ego" complex" were just part of the standard Cranwell course, no prior skill or knowledge required..