Failed Aircrew Medical - Advice please

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by lewismansell, Aug 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just come home and found a letter from INM saying due to a slight hearing problem (tinittus) I won't be able to go down the Aircrew route at BRNC in January. The letter asks me to look into other jobs in the Navy, but none of the other Officer jobs seem to appeal to me as Aircrew did. Any suggestions of what to do now would be greatly appreciated. I will be hitting up the Pongo careers officer tomorrow to see what they can offer, sorry... :oops:

2. Air engineering Officer???? Be amongst the Fly boys and Maintainers :wink: :wink:

3. Bad luck fella.

Are you looking to go the commissioned pongo route, or do you want to have a proper career?

4. I'm bum out of luck at the moment. Lost my job, car's just died and I owe the library 2 quid for overdue books...

Looking to go commissioned with the Army as well, I know a guy at Sandhurst now and got a mate starting next year, and they talk very highly of it. As I was going Observer, I'd probably look to go as a Troop Commander on tanks as it would give me the buzz of leading a group of vehicles.

AEO doesn't appeal to me; I want to be in a combat environment. I had looked at Bootneck Officer as well, but with only 60 taken a year, once a year, that's a lot of sitting around to potentially not get anywhere.

At least I'm not joining the crabs, I've got that much integrity...

5. Quote from LM.....AEO doesn't appeal to me; I want to be in a combat environment. :wink: :wink: They are in the Stan now :roll: :roll:

6. Fair one; good luck with whatever you choose. Do bare in mind that you won't spend as much time at the coal-face doing what you initially joined to do when you are a Rupert (there is a desk with your name on it for much of your career). To spend longer at the sharp end, you may like to consider the non-commissioned route.

Just don't discount it until you have looked at all options (the same, I would venture to suggest, could be said of the Navy).

PM sent

7. Does the army air corp have the same stringent medical requirements?

8. With Tinittus, you aint turning and burning, and getting airborne Full stop FAA ,CRAB, or Army Air Corp

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Sorry to hear of your setback through reasons beyond your control.

There's only one way to find out if you'll get anywhere as a potential Royal Marine Officer. Giving up without even trying suggests the initial setback reveals questionable stickability, low self esteem, lack of ambition or all three.

The RAF reckon 12,000 people have to pass through the AFCO door to get a single fast jet pilot, so rest assured you're in the majority.

If it boils down to the small fish, big pond scenario, ie: a more easily attained job, then the obvious choice is to apply for a job where many are required with similar qualities.

In any event, best of luck in your future aspirations.

10. Mild to catastrophic can be treated with medication.AEO should be good,you will have a lot to do with aircraft.

11. Hard luck with the medical.

Air Traffic Controller!!!! An option!

Troop Commander!!! I work at Bovington where they are trained. Stick navy, I think you may be disappointed with the Pongo route. Unless you are long in the pocket I think you may find cavalry messes a tad expensive! If you think a £2 library expense is bad wait until the mess bills start rolling in!

12. Lewis

I really am sorry to read this; I know how disappointed you must feel.

I would suggest e-mailing your ACLO and asking if you may call in on him/her next week to just talk over what has happened and look again at the possibilities which exist within the Royal Navy.

Take it easy over the next few days ........ have a browse through the various websites and come back to this refreshed next week. Nothing can be done tomorrow which can't also be done then.

Big hug.

13. Look on the bright side you've still got your health...er, apart from your dodgy ears of course. :lol:

14. Thanks for all your input guys. I got a call from AIB just before getting on the plane to go on holiday to inform me that I was "medically unfit for any role in the RN", which kinda set the mood for the first few days on holiday...

I'm now planning on going to University [this year if I can get in] to study Physical Geography, and then try my luck in an Intelligence role in the Army, or whoever will take me... I'm not sure how I'm going to get around the whole Tinnitus issue, even though I don't see it as a problem as it doesn't effect me unless I'm trying to sleep, so I'll just take it all on the shoulder and see where I can get in life.

All the best for the future, hopefully see you on the other side in a few years...

Lewis

15. Thanks for all your input guys. I got a call from AIB just before getting on the plane to go on holiday to inform me that I was "medically unfit for any role in the RN", which kinda set the mood for the first few days on holiday...

I'm now planning on going to University [this year if I can get in] to study Physical Geography, and then try my luck in an Intelligence role in the Army, or whoever will take me... I'm not sure how I'm going to get around the whole Tinnitus issue, even though I don't see it as a problem as it doesn't effect me unless I'm trying to sleep, so I'll just take it all on the shoulder and see where I can get in life.

All the best for the future, hopefully see you on the other side in a few years...

Lewis

16. Best of luck for the future lewis.
    Not a good feeling at all.
    If you had been cleared for AEO, I would have mentioned Commando Helicopter Force, talked to an AEO who was on CHF and he loved it, plus he reckoned if you spoke nicely with the pilots there were chances to take the controls ;-)

17. Going with the present "Vogue" on here you must immediately get your mother to write an "It's not fair" letter to anyone who will listen, then get on NZ Bootnecks Tits.
    That'll do it. :?

18. Lewis

I think that you will be a success no matter which path you choose to tread.

Do stay around on Rum Ration, if you feel that you can.

I should really like to know what happens to you next.

I assume that you are in clearing? Preferences?

:)

19. Gota wait til Thursday and see what is going to be available to me, but ideally looking to do Physical Geography at Nottingham Trent or Newcastle, although I haven't got masses of UCAS points due to my father passing away just before I took my A-levels, so just gona have to see what I can get...

20. Oh Lewis

I am so sorry. This is an immensely difficult time for you.

I'm sure that you have good reasons for considering Nottingham Trent and Newcastle, both good institutions, especially the latter, but I note that King's still has spaces for Geography and Queen Mary's for Physical Geography (both University of London). There might be something to gain from being in the smoke for the next three years, you know eg a friend of mine goes to lectures at the Royal Geographical Society and really enjoys them. Just a thought.

If you do consider a London Uni college and come down to check it out, let me know and I will buy you a coffee and show you around.

:)