Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Failed AIB - Considering Rating route

Athox33

Midshipman
Hello all, unfortunately I failed my AIB for Warfare Officer, needless to say Im absolutely gutted about it as I had my heart set on becoming an officer. That being said I learnt a lot about myself in the process. I was told to consider joining as a rating which at first I didnt want to even consider as I was so set on being an officer. But after some thought I think being a rating is more for me, as I am only young and I think I need more experience. Has anyone else gone from failing AIB to joining as a rating? And if so would you recommend it? I know the pay isnt as good but that wouldnt bother me if I was enjoying my job role. Thanks

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
Has anyone else gone from failing AIB to joining as a rating
Lots, I expect.

It is very hard for the forum to give advice to someone we have never met, and know so little about. I acknowledge that you say "I leant a lot about myself in the process" which is excellent. Did you get a feedback letter? Did the board recommend another AIB attempt in a few years time? So much to consider.

However do have a serious look at rating entry, especially if you are young, as many of our best officers have been commissioned from the Lower Deck, and you may well get where you aspire to be via that route. As I understand it the RN are much better at internal commissions than the other two services.

Trot along to your AFCO and see what occurs. You may even find that a rating branch attracts you more.

Athox33

Midshipman
Lots, I expect.

It is very hard for the forum to give advice to someone we have never met, and know so little about. I acknowledge that you say "I leant a lot about myself in the process" which is excellent. Did you get a feedback letter? Did the board recommend another AIB attempt in a few years time? So much to consider.

However do have a serious look at rating entry, especially if you are young, as many of our best officers have been commissioned from the Lower Deck, and you may well get where you aspire to be via that route. As I understand it the RN are much better at internal commissions than the other two services.

Trot along to your AFCO and see what occurs. You may even find that a rating branch attracts you more.
Thanks the reply. When it came to getting the results at AIB I sat down with the Chief of the board and he said he saw potential in me but I just didnt seem to have the experience and confidence they were looking for. He said I had a lot of qualities that they like to see and that going through the rating route would be a better way for me to build my experience and confidence as well as leadership. I dont think they wanted me back there as soon as possible because the things I needed to work on are a bit longer term. Thanks for your advice

There was a guy in my entry (back in 85) who failed both AIB and Tiff, and he mentioned it at every opportunity how he should have been an officer, bloke was a clown and I believe he did eventually go SD later in life.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Failed AIB - 12 months wait to retry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
TheMau5e Failed AIB entry for warfare Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
TheMau5e Failed FATs... Can i still take AIB? The Fleet Air Arm 17
S Failed AIB to Rating Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
R Failed AIB Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
R077 Failed me AIB Diamond Lil's 27
MoD_RSS Commission finds trustees failed to protect charity from founder who misused funds MoD News 0
A Excess Weight - COVID challenges and a failed medical Joining the Royal Navy 0
W Failed Medical- Eczema Joining the Royal Navy 5
D Failed at Selection Interview - Looking for advice going forwards Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
B Failed Vetting Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS AAIB Report: DJI M600 Pro, UAS failed to follow controller inputs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inquiry finds mismanagement at charity that funded failed film project MoD News 0
S failed medical paper review Joining the Royal Navy 4
A Failed medical Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS Inspection Report Published: A reinspection into failed right of abode applications and referral for consideration for enforcement action MoD News 0
C Failed recruitment eye test Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS Disqualified restaurateurs failed to pay £4 million in taxes MoD News 0
R Failed eye test for rn RFA 6
B failed medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Press release: Trustees failed to protect charity from abuse for terrorist purposes, regulator finds MoD News 0
Kiwi33 Re Join question. Failed Diver trying something different. Joining the Royal Navy 2
S Failed the vetting but could not get in touch with my AFCO. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Q Failed eye test - what to do next? Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS Press release: Inquiry into Save the Needy Worldwide finds trustees failed to protect charity funds MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Bosses banned for removing £700k from failed caravan company MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Court throws book at printers who failed to complete contracts MoD News 0
B Failed first PJFT Joining the Royal Navy 18
MoD_RSS Press release: Jail for travel agent who failed to explain missing thousands MoD News 0
R Failed medical, reapplying or possible redo-medical? Joining the Royal Navy 2
M Failed medical Joining the Royal Navy 8
F Failed medical and Appeal. Joining the Royal Navy 7
G Failed for medical reasons - appeal? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
sj25105815 Failed medical - Appeal outline help please. Joining the Royal Navy 4
M Failed Officer Selection. Any Advice? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
C Failed Medical Joining the Royal Navy 1
J Failed CDT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 50
O failed medical review Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
D Failed medical requiring advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
M Failed driving test's! The Quarterdeck 0
L Failed medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
J failed the medical standard for entry due to Gilbert's syndrome? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Failed my medical - TMU Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
M Failed RN Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
anchor_face_⚓️ Sea pay for a failed civvy UPO 4
M Failed RM medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
R Failed Royal Navy Eye Test | CIS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S Appealing failed medical (eyesight) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
N Failed my RT but still got enough points for WE CIS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
M Joining different force after failed medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1