Failed AIB - 12 months wait to retry

Spyrotpd

Midshipman
Hey guys,

So I've just come back from AIB. Was aiming to join as a Pilot but unfortunately I failed. Was told by the Lieutenant Commander that I was close to passing, and that they would like to see me back there in 12 months time. After 36 hours of self reflection I've noticed many areas where I can improve for next time round and will be soon having my full debrief at my local careers office in a few weeks, so it'll be great to find out where I went wrong in more detail.

I've been considering what to do in the meantime. I'm a graduate with a degree in Aerospace engineering, so not sure whether to begin a civilian career to sort of head start my Plan B. However, I'm not sure if this is the correct move as I don't want to lose focus on the dream of becoming a Naval Aviator and perhaps regretting it years down the line.
This got me thinking that surely it's worth joining the Naval Reserves to gain more exposure and experience in the Navy throughout this time. Not sure I'll be allowed to try for an Officer Reserve role though as I failed regular AIB.

Can anyone advise me on what to do here? Or if anyone has gone through a similar scenario, any advice would be most appreciated. :)
Cheers!
S P

Sumo

War Hero
Hey guys,

So I've just come back from AIB. Was aiming to join as a Pilot but unfortunately I failed. Was told by the Lieutenant Commander that I was close to passing, and that they would like to see me back there in 12 months time. After 36 hours of self reflection I've noticed many areas where I can improve for next time round and will be soon having my full debrief at my local careers office in a few weeks, so it'll be great to find out where I went wrong in more detail.

I've been considering what to do in the meantime. I'm a graduate with a degree in Aerospace engineering, so not sure whether to begin a civilian career to sort of head start my Plan B. However, I'm not sure if this is the correct move as I don't want to lose focus on the dream of becoming a Naval Aviator and perhaps regretting it years down the line.
This got me thinking that surely it's worth joining the Naval Reserves to gain more exposure and experience in the Navy throughout this time. Not sure I'll be allowed to try for an Officer Reserve role though as I failed regular AIB.

Can anyone advise me on what to do here? Or if anyone has gone through a similar scenario, any advice would be most appreciated. :)
Cheers!
S P
Wait until your full debrief, they may give you some ideas on where to improve for your next AIB.

D

Deleted 28451

I've said it before but personally I wouldn't go reserves if you plan on going full time in the next 12 months.

What did you actually fail the AIB on?

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
Greetings.
You have not failed, You have been given an opportunity to return with a significantly higher score. :cool:

I concur with both my learned colleagues above. However......

As always on RR with this type of question there are too many unknown unknowns in the scenario for us to give individual advice.

Whilst the RNR will help prepare you for entry for either stream twelve months may be too short to benefit in any great manner. We all do far more CLM than we used to (thanks, HMS Cornwall) and you would doubtless benefit from this in the long run. All depends on where your AIB attempt lost you points.

You are ahead of the game in that your various tests will remain in force, as far as I am aware, and hence being bounced to the RNR will be fairly swift I should have thought. Go to your feedback interview and see what's what. Whilst at the AFCO ask for the RNR options. You could, for example, go lower deck and, if you have no other employment, opt to do the full ten week course at Raleigh. An option now available to RNR.

My usual questions: Where do you live? Which RNR unit would you be looking at?

slim

War Hero
Have you thought of utilising your degree and joining as an AEO (Air Engineering Officer)?
I may be a PSOF (look it up) but as an ex Wafu I knew more than a couple of AEO who also managed to obtain their wings. Very useful people to the RN were Flying AEOs. I think there may have been more than one doctor with wings as well

Spyrotpd

Midshipman
Thanks for the swift replies.

To answer you both I am not 100% certain on what I failed yet- but I think I have a good idea...

Planex: I really struggled to absorb all the information and input anything of any proper relevance in the group discussion. I'm guessing I didn't come across confident either - because I didn't really believe in what I was saying because I was still understanding the scenario at this point. I definitely feel like I didn't flap during the questioning, whilst although I wasn't able to answer all of the questions, I'm sure I managed at least half.
Upon returning with my individual plan, I considered all the new info and confidently delivered. Was asked only a handful of questions before this was over. (Made me assume I'd either done really well or really really badly...) I'll let you work that one out ;)

PLTS: Was confident & loud but I think I led too much from the front. Was actually told to the day before by a Rating - so not sure if this was an issue or not. Would've completed my task if I didn't forget one crucial word in my brief. Overall - thought the PLTs went reasonably well.

Interview: Was told I didn't show enough commitment in terms of wanting to fly. Mentioned I would've joined as a Rating if AIB went really badly. Which I thought showed my commitment to joining the Navy - but seemed to show less commitment to joining as an Aircrew Officer. I now clearly see why they picked up on that, ie. very big difference between being in charge of a multi-million pound aircraft, and working on one. (No disrespect to Ratings responsibilities - I'm sure you understand what I'm saying).

Also mentioned I wanted to fly F35s but with my FATs score being a 124 - I was told this was not high enough, which I initially figured - but was told by my recruiter not to worry so I never looked to improve it.

@Branch-Hopper I live in near Wycombe, so perhaps somewhere in London would be closest. Question: If I transferred my application to RNR can I still keep my Regular Officer application in? I will be calling the Career's office on Monday but would be nice to know how this cross of applications might work.

Many Thanks for the input. :)

Spyrotpd

Midshipman
Have you thought of utilising your degree and joining as an AEO (Air Engineering Officer)?
I may be a PSOF (look it up) but as an ex Wafu I knew more than a couple of AEO who also managed to obtain their wings. Very useful people to the RN were Flying AEOs. I think there may have been more than one doctor with wings as well
Problem is that the fact still stands that I failed AIB. But yes, I had heard that AEO's can go Pilot to then later be a test pilot. Not sure how much I'm up for a potential 8-10 year tough training pipeline though before hitting the front line. But never say never!

Evloa

Also mentioned I wanted to fly F35s but with my FATs score being a 124 - I was told this was not high enough, which I initially figured - but was told by my recruiter not to worry so I never looked to improve it.
Sorry to hear the bad news SP. For my information, what would be considered a benchmark FAT score to aim for re. F35 selection?

soleil

War Hero
How old are you, Spyrotpd? I was going to suggest a FAAOA scholarship, but think you might be outside the age range.

soleil

War Hero
I'm 22! Never knew this was an option - would love to know more about it.
Ask your ACLO for the current situation on these too.

clonmel

Lantern Swinger
Sorry to hear the bad news SP. For my information, what would be considered a benchmark FAT score to aim for re. F35 selection?
You're not selected for F35, or indeed any platform; you are selected as a student pilot and the flying training system sorts out the rest. That said, and I have to be honest here, 124 is far from a stellar score at Flight Aptitude Testing; an oppo of mine used to work at OASC and reckoned that c150 is when the RAF begin to get interested.

There are people who have been put up for 'the chop' on trip 5 at EFTS, pulled it out of the bag and then gone on to lead a 4-ship of F4s, by the same token there are guys who pitch up with 300hrs+ of University Air Squadron flying, or a Commercial Pilot's Licence or whatever, and either get binned during flying training or spend their entire lives as career copilots.

Do not even THINK about this. If you join as an AEO then that will be where the Navy system expects to get it's money's worth from you. You will be career managed by the Engineer Officer's desk, not the Warfare (Pilot) desk, your scope for future downstream courses (CFS / ETPS etc) will be nigh on zero, and whilst you will rightly wear a set of wings that you have earned you will at best do a tour on a FL Sqn before being sidelined to be 'Mr Check Test Flight'.

Sorry @slim, but it's bad advice.

@Spyrotpd - PM inbound.

Last edited:

Spyrotpd

Midshipman
@clonmel - 150 I believe is definitely achievable. I would like to know of any aptitude testing online that is any good preparation if there is any? Besides a few app's on my phone I haven't found much... please assist if you can :)

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
@Branch-Hopper I live in near Wycombe, so perhaps somewhere in London would be closest. Question: If I transferred my application to RNR can I still keep my Regular Officer application in? I will be calling the Career's office on Monday but would be nice to know how this cross of applications might work.
HMS WILDFIRE at Northwood then.

Not an expert on the "cross application" but, with respect, surely your current application is now stalled? At 22, and assuming that your current interview and medical stats can be instantly transferred, I would go RNR for two years, do the ten week course at RAL and aim to go back to the AIB sometime after Spring of 2022. You would have had opportunity to work on many of the issued raised above.

If that is what you want.

MAXtmpu

Midshipman
140+ would be my guess
I bumped into a chap at Yeovilton this week who's on hold and just been streamed fast jet with a FATs score in the 120s. From our conversation, it seemed like he was streamed based on his performance on EFT, his attitude and work ethic, and ability to recover quickly from a bad trip.

Don't let your FATs score dictate your ambition!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Failed AIB - Considering Rating route Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
TheMau5e Failed AIB entry for warfare Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
TheMau5e Failed FATs... Can i still take AIB? The Fleet Air Arm 17
S Failed AIB to Rating Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
R Failed AIB Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
R077 Failed me AIB Diamond Lil's 27
MoD_RSS AAIB Report: DJI M600 Pro, UAS failed to follow controller inputs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inquiry finds mismanagement at charity that funded failed film project MoD News 0
S failed medical paper review Joining the Royal Navy 2
A Failed medical Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS Inspection Report Published: A reinspection into failed right of abode applications and referral for consideration for enforcement action MoD News 0
C Failed recruitment eye test Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS Disqualified restaurateurs failed to pay £4 million in taxes MoD News 0
R Failed eye test for rn RFA 6
B failed medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Press release: Trustees failed to protect charity from abuse for terrorist purposes, regulator finds MoD News 0
Kiwi33 Re Join question. Failed Diver trying something different. Joining the Royal Navy 2
S Failed the vetting but could not get in touch with my AFCO. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Q Failed eye test - what to do next? Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS Press release: Inquiry into Save the Needy Worldwide finds trustees failed to protect charity funds MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Bosses banned for removing £700k from failed caravan company MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Court throws book at printers who failed to complete contracts MoD News 0
B Failed first PJFT Joining the Royal Navy 18
MoD_RSS Press release: Jail for travel agent who failed to explain missing thousands MoD News 0
R Failed medical, reapplying or possible redo-medical? Joining the Royal Navy 2
M Failed medical Joining the Royal Navy 8
F Failed medical and Appeal. Joining the Royal Navy 7
G Failed for medical reasons - appeal? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
sj25105815 Failed medical - Appeal outline help please. Joining the Royal Navy 4
M Failed Officer Selection. Any Advice? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
C Failed Medical Joining the Royal Navy 1
J Failed CDT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 50
O failed medical review Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
D Failed medical requiring advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
M Failed driving test's! The Quarterdeck 0
L Failed medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
J failed the medical standard for entry due to Gilbert's syndrome? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Failed my medical - TMU Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
M Failed RN Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
anchor_face_⚓️ Sea pay for a failed civvy UPO 4
M Failed RM medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
R Failed Royal Navy Eye Test | CIS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S Appealing failed medical (eyesight) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
N Failed my RT but still got enough points for WE CIS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
M Joining different force after failed medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Failed medical - Please advise (ACL Reconstruction) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
M Psycometric failed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
H failed medical due to high blood pressure Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
H Son Failed RT Maths any Tutor experiances. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
J So, I failed UOTC selection. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7