Factual Careers Advice- Beware!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ninja_Stoker, Nov 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

1. Everyone serving or with previous service considers themselves an expert on the subject of Recruitment as they were recruited at some stage.

2. The difficult bit is being current & knowing the specific, accurate "nut'n'bolts" for each trade - It is usual to check the recruiting manual, latest recruiting instructions, consult fellow Officer/Ratings/Regulars/Reserves connected to the careers service, ring training establishment training or selection staff & contact specific (Phase Two) trade personnel to try and give an accurate answer. Even then it can be incorrect sometimes because the publications/official websites are still being updated or we all know "something's in the pipeline, but yet to be announced".

3. Part the reason for the absence of interactive official recruiting websites is due to the fact that the average online enquirer wants a specific answer quickly, not a generalisation, a link to FAQ's or a deliberately vague response pending approval from Higher Authority who, in turn, seek legal
    advice as to the repercussions in issuing a definitive statement.

4. The overall problem is that the advice offered on this website can in no way be proclaimed official, only someones' interpretation of the rules or worse, someone's personal opinion. Your Careers Adviser or Careers Liaison Officer are the only persons qualified to give you the correct advice.

5. One thing that you would be best advised not to consider, is quoting something off this website & claiming it to be definitive advice as it can never be. Even the official RN/RM website carries a disclaimer in case the regulations are at odds with the latest publications.

6. Many of people post questions on here, already knowing that they are ineligible to apply for a variety of reasons - you can rest assured someone will post an anecdotal tale which will contradict everything the individual has been told officially & give rise to false hope.

7. Medical Advice: The rough rule of thumb is that you need to be free of ANY medication, outpatients treatment or physiotherapy in order to be passed fit for entry, despite tales to the contrary. The "Application Form Information & Guidance Booklet" AFCO Form 5- available free from your AFCO is the only official advice available- your Examining Medical Officer is the only person qualified to give definitive advice on medical suitability for service, regardless of the self-proclaimed experts that will reply to your question.

8. The best advice is to consider what is written on this site as a rough idea, at best, an avenue to further explore: some of it correct & factual, some of it a load of self-opinionated rubbish!

2. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Are you saying that the LH in Plymouth careers office may not have been aware of recent rule changes when he told me I could transfer to the SBS at anytime "one form, sign it, simple transfer" he said! He did seem a little unconvincing when he guaranteed I'd reach Vice Admiral, although I do still believe I can make that in the next 6 months. :w00t:

3. Ninja_Stoker

You get my vote mate.

Do we still vote for Admirals? Can't remember.

4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Chieftiff: No, he was lying. In fact he wasn't a LH at all; he was Credders on a Stand Easy, just employed to keep the CPO's seat warm while he nipped outside for a burn.

If you wanna join the SBS, read DIN 07-2315. Alternatively you should purchase a kagoul and a single rail ticket to Poole, and wait on the roof of Tesco multi-storey car park at 0200 this Friday, and a blue Transit will collect you, to commence your training.

And like every other professional course in the RN, once you have successfully passed it, you will be offered a draft of your own choice!

Good luck and keep us posted! :thumright:

5. ....but I always got the drafts of my choice..... (lights blue touch paper and retires on cartoon-tiptoes)

I dunno kids, if Uncle Ninj cant help, maybe the A-Team can.......

Rule 1- This is an UNOFFICIAL website.
    Rule 2- Unless the person responding is employed directly and currently as the thing you need an answer on eg Instructor Harrier pilot, how long does it take to get qualified as, Swimmer canoeist -how long can you hold your breath etc, then all answers given should be treated as Ninj describes. As he is employed in an AFCO you should probably believe his advice.
    Rule 3- There is noooooooooooo Rule 3
    Rule 4- People may well be trying to help you by posting answers to your questions, but in their rush to help a fellow human may be doing more harm than good. Its not their fault, just be circumspect with advice, as with everything on th'internets. Also, remember the handy search function.

Crack tubes.......
    PS Ninj, Just saw this was a sticky, if its interfering (i.e. useless) in anyway please feel free to delete this post

6. Ninja_Stoker

Actually, I prefer your points to mine!

Nice one.

7. sgtpepperband

[​IMG]

8. So if it all goes tits up at Raliegh I cant say:

"but sir, Ninja_Stoker from rumration said it was ok." :laughing6:

9. sgtpepperband

Lee: Ninja_Stoker doesn't exist. There is no spoon. Take the red pill.

10. You could do that, but remember, stokers have samson bars, and its a long way down to the bilges.......

11. :eek: It isn't true... tell me it isn't true!!!

12. Who can Ninja mean? Surely not the Old and Bold Royals Club (NZB, Wet Blobby, Harry B {Sound philosophical advice only}, and the sole Rubber Dagger Nutty Bag.) Serving Royals aren't included as their advice may have some relevance, any others left out should contact the membership secretary the Honourable Bergan (MOD) for subscription details.
    NZB

13. It's all changed since I left It all changed when I was in and it's changed again since then So I don't bother. I just pull up a bollard and tell some of the dits I've got and let people seek real help lol

14. Ninja_Stoker

The reason for the announcement was basically a disclaimer for this site, in a similar vein to the disclaimer on the official sites.

The careers advice given by all is with the best intentions without doubt & we always try to ensure it is accurate & current.

It hasn't happened yet, to the best of my knowledge, but the bottom line is that you should confirm the advice offered here, at AFCO level before you resign from your current job, leave school, embark upon further education, sell your bed on Ebay, rent out your room, get divorced, etc.

Most people have the common sense required, but it's a disclaimer for those folk that try to sue because: "It doesn't say you shouldn't put your pet rabbit in the microwave oven, so I want compensation for making 'Thumper' explode".

Like I say, it hasn't happened yet, but it's handy to have an announcement to refer back to, rather than try to issue a retrospective disclaimer after the event.

15. If you're thinking of joining the Royal Navy, don't do it!

I did and ended up with an attic full of unwritten postcards (mostly of 'Gibraltar by Night'), boxes of hideous 'rabbits' (souvenirs) that seemed like a good idea at the time and peculiar scraps of clothing I've since been reminded are items of uniform. There has also been a strange woman around the house for the past 26 years who I supposedly met at a Service wedding. I have serious gaps in my memory regarding runs ashore in exotic places (like Joanna's in Portsmouth or Raffles in Singapore) and am still paying off debts for hangover pills. I used to conduct rounds of my children's bedrooms when they were toddlers and my clothes still seem to smell of salt water and Dieso. I love beer, pot mess, curries and cheesy-hammy-eggy and sometimes find myself saying "God bless 'er" for no apparent reason.

Most of my friends, who I supposedly met yonks ago in basic training or on ship's husbandry courses (now what's that all about?) or in other peculiar circumstances in ships and naval establishments, suffer many of the same symptoms. Do you really want to end up like us?

16. If it meant gettin that bastardin green beret mate, I would do anything!!!

17. Anything? :biggrin:

Good thing I bought one from eBay last week... looks like my lucky day! ;) :lol:

PM me your details..... :thumright: :toilet:

18. Haha, yes anything! I would never get the lid from any shops because I feel like I would be cheatin myself and maybe jimxing it haha.

19. Ninja_Stoker

20. More like press ganged in my time sonny Jim.

Cor, Bootnecking a trade now!!

Don't see me, see my relief! :thumright:

I've got a grade 3CSE (Old School me.) in Woodwork any chance of a job?

Potential Recruit "But, New Zealand Bootneck said...sniffle"
    Ninja Stoker "Not that T@#! again!!"

Only having 1 leg, alopecia and chronic asthma never stopped me joining the Corpse...er I mean Corps.

7. Medical Advice: The rough rule of thumb is that you need to be free of ANY medication, outpatients treatment or physiotherapy in order to be passed fit for entry, despite tales to the contrary. The "Application Form Information & Guidance Booklet" AFCO Form 5- available free from your AFCO is the only official advice available- your Examining Medical Officer is the only person qualified to give definitive advice on medical suitability for service, regardless of the self-proclaimed experts that will reply to your question.

8. The best advice is to consider what is written on this site as a rough idea, at best, an avenue to further explore: some of it correct & factual, some of it a load of self-opinionated rubbish![/quote]

I have never been so insulted in my life, you can of course expect legal action.
    NZB