facilities on board carriers

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by judgejudy, Jul 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. what are facilities like onboard carriers? are their gyms cinema facilities etc?
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

1. Good.
    2. Yes.
  3. They also have a pool room, if you can get the keys off the stokers!
  4. And a sauna, just below the wardroom.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

They also have a church, a gift shop, a laundry, a tailors, several bars, 24/7 satellite tv, a postman, a self-service cafeteria called "Oi, that's one Spud-u-Like Jack, not two..." and boring stuff like workshops, aeroplanes, and things.
  6. Maybe they could use HMS Invincible for the Olympics then, save some money! :money:
  7. Do they have a cycle track and somewhere I could fly my kite?
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

They have exercise bikes & as long as you don't mind dodging airyplanes there's a big parade-ground you can cycle about.

Kite-flying is best done from the quarterdeck as there's plenty of thermals from all the hot air associated with the after bit of the ship.
  9. I knew I should have been a Wafu and not a fishhead having to do my dohby in a bucket etc. All those amenities but I always got lost if I ventured onboard a carrier.
  10. They have superb facilities onboard as it goes...

1. Work areas for YOU to do your work.
    2. Dining areas to eat your food before and after work.
    3. Messdecks, heads and passageways for YOU to clean before and after work.
    4. A massive flight deck for recreation whenever the WAFUs are not using it. (0.5%)

Its a warship, what the hell do you expect it to have?
  11. Does it have a smoking shed at the back?
  12. Yes just behind the Splash target ??:thumright:
  13. You could have used our Chinese Laundry :thumright:
  14. Is that not "Nepalese" these days?
  15. Dhobi men on my last ship were chinese. Left it last november
  16. Don't forget to pack your GPS so you can find your way around. You can download a map of the ship from the ship's own onboard intranet onto your GPS and then use the POI databse to locate things like the nearest heads, canteen or kite store (the ROs keep a supply of pretty flags just for flying when they're bored).

The ship's boutique sells pristine monosocks for you to embroider the name of your special friend on (Chiefy?) and very soft teddy bears (for Juniors and Officers only). Pussers hard (with or without attached line) are available from the shop.

Hope you enjoy yourself. Oh and don't forget on your first night onboard to ask the Chief Stoker to show you the carrier's special golden rivet.
  17. Is that the dhobi men or you - often wondered if they were still around, thanks.
  18. And better medical provision than you are ever likely to find in the NHS, with medics, nursing staff, a ward, laboratory, X ray and an operating theatre complete with surgeon, anaesthetist and theatre technicians. No waiting for appointments, just show up at Fresh Cases 0800. (Urgent cases anytime, but you had better be sure it is urgent!)