Facebook trend

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by WTR91, Oct 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why is it that fellow recruits feel the need to put their current job as working at the royal navy? (not guilty on my part but just been requested to say I've worked with someone in the royal navy when infact both of us are not even in phase 1 yet)

Isn't it a tad sad or stupid...or i just can't put my finger on why some people do it.

2. Ahhh the innocence of youth.

Give them a few months and they'll be telling women they work as dolphin trainers at Seaworld.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. R U a Writer then??!!
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

One thing that I find strange about Facebook is that the personal security issues seem to be ignored, as outlined here: http://www.navy-net.co.uk/newbies/60847-newbies-persec-facebook-rum-ration-social-networks.html

It's rather odd, given that extremists have targetted UK servicepersonnel (using Facebook as the reference source), with the intent of kidnap & public execution (beheading) and yet people publically identify themselves on FB as being associated with the UK Armed Forces.

Then again, the tri-service websites seem to positively encourage people to use FB (Facebook links on every page), where people are revealing their identity, location & contact details whereas the MoD warn against just that: MoD releases YouTube videos warning of careless talk on social media sites | UK news | The Guardian

Funny old world....until someone's killed.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Very true NS
  6. Is your name Mario and what makes you so Super?:laughing2:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Not me love, I'm a Biscuit designer. Hobnobb was mine. Honest. Though I did do some time in the Navy. Dolphin trainer. Taught them to deliver mines and rescue downed airman. No seriously. Would I lie to you.
  8. Because the navy is attracting walts?
  9. some of you are so quick on here!
    your right, i'm not aha my bad.

*goes and cries in the corner*
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As a precaution, I always wear this when in the AFCO so as not to be identified:

Problem is my boss has told me I now have to wear clothes too.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. jack work same breath never
  12. Are you a drake and a little bit kwackers!
  13. WTR

I've noticed this happening now and then recently but I wouldn't say that it was that common. It seems to be young blokes changing their employment status in the way you are describing - I can't see any female candidates doing it, it's just blokes. I think that they do it because it makes them feel a bit closer to actually starting. The guys in question seem to be finding the long waiting times hard to deal with and so, as soon as their start dates come through, they do this as a confidence boost. Some of them do get asked by their mates "so when are you actually going to join, then?" and changing their status in this way may be a way of saying to these mates that the answer is "soon".

With regard to being asked by someone who is also a candidate to say that you have already worked together, I would recommend considerable caution.

By the way, on a lighter note, there is someone who is very keen to join but who will find it very difficult to (nationality); he responded to a discouraging response by completely reworking his Facebook profile. He gave BRNC as his training establishment, said he lived in London and Portsmouth and overnight turned into a Commander in the Royal Navy, serving on a Type 45, if I remember correctly. He also ......

photoshopped his profile photo using a genuine photo of a serving RN officer and superimposing his own face.

He was persuaded of the error of his ways, I gather.

Last time I looked at his profile, he was serving in the US Navy, lives in Washington etc etc (gen dit).
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  14. one of the guys with shitty english who spam the various RN facebook pages asking when their start date is?
    • Like Like x 1
  15. No, his English is impeccable.
  16. Can't resist................Did they then ask what instrument you played???
  17. I'm guilty of this. Many more are but they don't admit it.

Sol is correct its a bit of a silly boost. Its Like f**k yeah im in the RN and doing the job ive always wanted to do... or at least im going to be soon! You know that eventually one of these days you'll definitely be able to put that in your profile and then it feels a little bit justified. Also friends start asking whether you're in yet and they can't often understand why you're still waiting.

At the end of the day we aren't in yet and have no right to say that we are. I've since changed my profile and anyone who did the same should also change theres too. I don't class this as walting, just being a bit over enthusiastic. Theres a strong will to join behind it. I hate walts just like everyone else. They have no intentions of ever doing the job in reality and only want the attention it brings which is completely differen't.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

If you aren't serving, or if you haven't served, its walting.
  19. I was told from the start at the AFCO and by friends and family who are in/were in any of the Forces all about PerSec and OpSec so kept all my RN stuff off FB and such. I have just been introduced to the art (?) of walting (absolute comedy gold btw) and like Rem says I don't believe everyone who posts that they're in the Navy is a walt but its just misguided enthusiasm of the young and young-at-heart
  20. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

When I was 15-years old I was asked by my Careers Adviser what I wanted to do when I grew up.

When I told him that I wanted to join the Royal Navy he replied: "Bollocks - you can't do both..!!"