Facebook photo

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by SimpleReservist, Mar 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just thought I'd say that I support the Facebook thread that asks service men and women to change thier FB profile photo as a mark of respect for the fallen

• Like Like x 2
  2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Sorry - going to sound really harsh here, but which fallen in particular?

I have enormous sadness for the families of the 6 soldiers lost this week, but equally I think we should remember all of them equally, and not elevate one tragic loss above another. I will remember them all in November, on the 11th hour of the 11th day.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Have I missed something but apart from the fact that the OP is a reservist, what is this thread doing on the RNR page?

BTW - also not a Facebook type and will, as commented above by PT, take full advantage of 11/11 to pay my public respects for those fallen in the service of my country. (I pay my private respects every time I read or think about the tragic loss of life anywhere and everywhere of our servicemen and servicewomen).

4. Does it matter how people mark their respect.

The fact they are, should be all that matters.

Fallen comrades did not just fall on a specific day of a specific month of a specific year, they have fallen daily throughout history.

Hats off to anyone showing any mark of respect serving or otherwise.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Not a great PERSEC thing to go blasting phots of yourself in uniform to all and sundry either. I've seen the various posts but can't help but think its just an excuse to show off how warry you are.

6. Have moved it to Current Affairs instead.

7. Mines done no persec probs for me Raut 37 ... Lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

9. Further to Ninja's post, I was mortified to see a new group appear on Facebook recently, called "Find Every British Forces Supporter on Facebook"; it said that its aim was to:

"find every British Army soldier, RAF, and Royal Navy/Royal Marine serviceman, woman and Veteran, their family and friends, and the various military supporters on Facebook, and beyond."

I watched as people fell over themselves trying to join; each joiner was encouraged to invite people from their friends' lists for the group. People were posting things like "oh this is great, my daughter is serving with the xxx and is in xxx at the moment ....". A couple of clicks and the serving relatives were clearly visible ...

What worried me even more was the name of the person who had founded the group. His name is in Serbian and ermmm isn't actually a name at all, it's the Serbian phrase for 'false name'.

And still people are adding themselves to the group.

• Like Like x 2
  10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Have you reported the group Sol?

11. ea83e08059fd271293365560edd6d795.jpg Try this....:-D

12. Yes, Janner, I have.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Really? The person who runs the group you refer to is called Lažnim Imenom. "Nepošten pomenuti" is Serbian for 'false name', so I don't know why you think he is a threat to national security! He may just be a sad, lonely user of the internet, trawling the fora for likeminded friends - rather than a former Republika Srpska sniper, coming to kill you in the face... Anyway, genuine or not, this group certainly hasn't been flagged by any of the watchlists that I am aware of... :roll:

And returning to the OP: I have seen this and similar campaigns in the past, but I have not changed my Facebook profile picture. I show my respect for serving/ex-serving comrades (fallen or otherwise) in my own way. I do not need to broadcast, celebrate or publicise my occupation to anybody. Having a picture of yourself in rig does not make you a more worthwhile supporter of the Forces; not having a picture doesnt make you a heartless philistine either. But in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really change anything. If you want to do it, then fine. But in my opinion it's a futile gesture. There are more relevant ways of showing respect. And I know it might come as a shock to some, but... people die! Including service personnel! When I heard the news of the recent deaths of the 6 soldiers, I felt sorry for the families. But I also felt sorry for my next door neighbours, who lost elderly parents recently. I also shed a tear for a pet who I had to put to sleep. Death comes to us all.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Interestingly there's a FLEET warning about this group advising caution.

15. I've changed my Facebook picture, not to show any form of respect but to lure nubile whores into my web of walting deceit. Vacuous sluts love a war hero.

• Like Like x 3
  16. I've seen the film, shagging randoms is what it was designed for.

17. Especially heroes with such pazazz , charm and diplomacy as your good self, MLP.Oh, the vision ! Gals falling over themselves in the stampede:-D

The Facebook situation.......awful worrying.....peeps in uniform; take care of your security, please ! :-| No face / uniform pics !!

18. We were actually told by an officer in an official security briefing before deployment that a profile photo is one of the least serious things you can do on facebook. You cant search for somebody wearing rig. Unlike say listing your job as RN, or joining groups to do with your service.
    If you have it set so only friends can view your profile then that photo really dosent matter at all. If anyone wants to find my address they should probably start by using the tube and picking up laptops left loafing. The MOD seem to be good at dong that.

19. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Although they try to operate with the best interests at heart, FLEET do not and cannot dictate what people do on their Facebook accounts (unlike Professional Standards Units/Police Officers). And anybody dumb enough to allow full/public access on Facebook deserve all the online grief they get; you can "advise" all you want - some people will not listen, so I don't waste my breath on them any more...

20. They should have a word with Navy News and Soldier too, there's pictures and names! My God! Persec!