FAAOA Gliding Scholarship

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Lynx101, Feb 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, received a letter from the FAAOA that I have won a place on the 2009 gliding scholarship course. I have put my first choice dates as Yeovilton1 and I just wondered if anyone else on here is on the course or who has done it before and can tell me a bit about it. Thanks! I am really excited! 8)

2. Hi mate,

Yup, I'm in too! I put down Yeovilton 1 as my first choice also; have you had anything back (email, letter or otherwise) since replying?

Cheers,

Ben :)

3. Hi guys, I was on the 2008 gliding course in August 2008..... honestly guys it was the best week of my life! I was at Lee-On Solent and stayed at HMS Collingwood (wardroom) which is awsome and a really great experience of officers accomodation. The people who run the course at Lee-On Solent are really enthusiastic and just want to get you flying! I completed 24 launches with an instructor and 1 solo flight which was unbelieveable! Not only that i recieved the best pilot award out of the course, that is out of 14 scholarship students, me being aged 16 at he time.

Any questions feel free to ask me !

Duncan.

4. Hi guys, I was on the 2008 gliding course in August 2008..... honestly guys it was the best week of my life! I was at Lee-On Solent and stayed at HMS Collingwood (wardroom) which is awsome and a really great experience of officers accomodation. The people who run the course at Lee-On Solent are really enthusiastic and just want to get you flying! I completed 24 launches with an instructor and 1 solo flight which was unbelieveable! Not only that i recieved the best pilot award out of the course, that is out of 14 scholarship students, me being aged 16 at the time.

Any questions feel free to ask me !

Duncan.

5. Dont know if this is the case now, but a few years ago the ex First Sea Lord, Julian Oswald, used to be one of the gliding instructors at Lee on Solent. He never used to let on who he really was unless asked - just got on quietly with introducing young people to the thrill of silent flight. A true gent.