FAA Warfare ASW Aircrewman Q and A.

Waspie

War Hero
OK, I'll answer sensibly!!!
During flying operations, an aircrewman will wear whatever flying kit is appropriate for the operations and weather. (If water temp is below 15deg C - you will be wearing immersion suits which will keep you dry(ish) if you impromptu end up in the water. A life preserver with various safety aids such as emergency breathing apparatus plus communications equipment, radio, signal flares etc. Personal weapons if operations require it.
If not involved with flying operations, embarked you will be required to wear normal uniform, action working dress, a term for normal day wear, evenings will require you to change into night attire!! Used to be black trousers and white shirts.
As aircrew not only will you drag around your naval uniforms but also whatever kit you're issued for flying duties, Coveralls, wet and dry, boots, a flying helmet or maybe two if your part of a one aircraft crew.(Nearly forgot good old NBC kit). And most importantly, your very desirable aircrew sun glasses. Keep your mits tightly wrapped around these beauties as they tend to be the most nickable item next to your aircrew watch.
Hope that sheds light on your clothing question. Like I said, Google'RN Aircrew'. You see what the best dressed dudes on the planet are wearing.

Waspie

War Hero
For the fashionista!!!

What the best dressed Aircrewmen and women are wearing these days. (A sh1t pose though!!!!!) Must be a Bootie!!117831683_10158724573102498_6864037874364599441_n.jpg

I hate to disappoint!
Even as a AET on Junglie squadrons you'll see little combat. Yes you'll complete some small arms training and fire some rounds down range but actual combat - doubtful. Your skills as a engineer are way too valuable to lose on a 5.56 or 7.62!!!
Infanteer!!! After 20 years at Bovington with tanks I can understand the need for change.
Ask 849 when they had to return fire when Camp Bastion was invaded!!!

I did say 'little' combat not 'NO' combat.:cool: I spent most of my time as front line aircrew expecting to let rip! Did I? Not one round!!! I guess if it's just luck of the draw.:)
I took an SA80 (or whatever the proper name is?) to Afghan twice, second time I didn't even draw any rounds when I got there, after a few weeks we put them in secure armoury at work and I took it out just before I left. To be fair I couldn't hit a barn door from 10 yards and scraped through my weapon's test each year :)

Chris P

Lantern Swinger
What weapons test ? Went up the Radfan in 65, go to the armoury and sign here - 1 Stirling, 4 empty mags and two cartons of rounds, spent 20 minutes loading mags before take off - never got to use it - give Jack a gun and then run for cover I think was the general theory in those days, happy days though:):):)

What weapons test ? Went up the Radfan in 65, go to the armoury and sign here - 1 Stirling, 4 empty mags and two cartons of rounds, spent 20 minutes loading mags before take off - never got to use it - give Jack a gun and then run for cover I think was the general theory in those days, happy days though:):):)
Don't forget I was on the Joint Harrier Force, the crabs love to do all the war shit every year (CCS, Shooting, Gas Chamber, Running round a field with smoke grenades and blank rounds!!!), makes them feel part of the military. When I first got there we had to wear CS95?? on Thursdays, I suppose it was their Thursday war :)

Waspie

War Hero
I was like Rambo went we flew into the province!! SLR - 80 rounds 7.62, 9mm - 60 rounds, great bit survival knife!! Flack jacket!! Personal weapon test every time we landed at Moscow Camp. Never fired one round in anger.
Not reciprocated though!!! Some damn Paddy stitched a nice line of holes along our tail cone!!!! Didn't have a clue it had happened until the maintainers asked us to come have a look at the new Sea King ventilation after we landed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
EH_UP_SHIPPERS FAA Warfare EC The Fleet Air Arm 6
N songs of the FAA The Fleet Air Arm 1
M Jet fuel in the FAA The Fleet Air Arm 42
J Where will I be based? (FAA) The Fleet Air Arm 7
J Currently in the recruitment process (FAA Pilot application) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S RT Eligibility: FAA Pilot Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
J FAA Holding Times The Fleet Air Arm 3
C Aircraft Controller FAA and such Joining the Royal Navy 10
W FAA Aircrewman entry age Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
J How soon after AIB (FAA) is the Aircrew Medical? Joining the Royal Navy 1
D FAA WW2 The Fleet Air Arm 7
J BRNC January Entry FAA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Z FAA COMMANDO CREWMAN HELP... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
M FAA Pilot career progression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
G FAA Pilot Joining the Royal Navy 17
C New FAA Armourers Association Website The Fleet Air Arm 0
Pingerson 1970's FAA Aircrew Arctic Survival Training Film The Fleet Air Arm 1
T FATs, an FAA candidate's view 2015! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
Magic_Mushroom FAA Veteran's Funeral: Appropriate Content The Fleet Air Arm 5
P Typical day for an engineering officer in the FAA The Fleet Air Arm 11
scouse FAA Chinese Style The Fleet Air Arm 3
woody28 FAA Pilot & 6th Form??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
Seaweed FAA Aircrew Recruiting adverts The Fleet Air Arm 0
J Re-joining the FAA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
scouse The Halcyon days in the FAA The Fleet Air Arm 10
C Three remembered FAA Pilots? The Fleet Air Arm 6
C Experiences while serving in the FAA? The Fleet Air Arm 39
alfred_the_great What did the FAA do for us in WW2? The Fleet Air Arm 13
scouse FAA Centenary The Fleet Air Arm 9
scouse FAA the Dream The Fleet Air Arm 0
scouse Book by an ex FAA pilot The Fleet Air Arm 3
scouse Where FAA planes go to die HMS Sanderling The Fleet Air Arm 13
scouse FAA at the Bath and West show The Fleet Air Arm 0
J PO Alwyn Rob Roberts FAA RNAS Yeovilton Nearest & Dearest 11
scouse FAA 2013 calendar The Fleet Air Arm 8
scouse St Barts 100 years of FAA embroidery The Fleet Air Arm 0
scouse FAA faces a 4year gap in AEW and still not fixed wing The Fleet Air Arm 24
scouse FAA of the future or dreamtime?????? The Fleet Air Arm 3
TotalAlien FAA FJ Pilot Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Waspie FAA Motto The Fleet Air Arm 23
scouse Jock of the FAA??? The Fleet Air Arm 5
V Advice/Paths into the FAA? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
scouse FAA Aircrew Old and Bold Recruitment The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil FAA Museum: "New Exhibition Marks The Centenary Of Fixed Wing Naval Aviation" The Fleet Air Arm 2
O Queen Presenting Colours to FAA June 1991 The Fleet Air Arm 10
S FAA Field Gun Crew The Fleet Air Arm 6
T What is to happen to all FAA personnel? The Fleet Air Arm 16
Ghost Future (or lack of it) for the FAA? Current Affairs 2
shag_shacker very interesting chat from the FAA requirements manager The Fleet Air Arm 37
S Future of FAA Junglies? The Fleet Air Arm 10