FAA Warfare ASW Aircrewman Q and A.

craigy

Midshipman
If its combat you want - join the marines or the Army.
If you want a career and a trade that is transferable - stick to the Navy.
Don't see many jobs i the Job Centres for combat trained sailors!!!!
Ha, I knew you'd say that I am ex-infantry. I was considering RM but I'm too old!

Waspie

War Hero
Ha, I knew you'd say that I am ex-infantry. I was considering RM but I'm too old!
I hate to disappoint!
Even as a AET on Junglie squadrons you'll see little combat. Yes you'll complete some small arms training and fire some rounds down range but actual combat - doubtful. Your skills as a engineer are way too valuable to lose on a 5.56 or 7.62!!!
Infanteer!!! After 20 years at Bovington with tanks I can understand the need for change.

craigy

Midshipman
I hate to disappoint!
Even as a AET on Junglie squadrons you'll see little combat. Yes you'll complete some small arms training and fire some rounds down range but actual combat - doubtful. Your skills as a engineer are way too valuable to lose on a 5.56 or 7.62!!!
Infanteer!!! After 20 years at Bovington with tanks I can understand the need for change.
I'm excited either way, would love to get involved with CHF.

I hate to disappoint!
Tell that to the guys on 849 who had to return fire at Bastion when the Taliban invaded :)

ra232

@Mark Dip
I'm joining as an Aircrewman next month and just had a couple questions. I read through the document link you provided about promotion and training pipeline and was wondering if that is still current? Are Aircrewmen still promoted to acting PO when wings are gained? Also, to be promoted to Acting Leading Hand it writes how ABLC needs to be completed, what is ABLC?
Thanks

Mark Dip

Midshipman
@Mark Dip
I'm joining as an Aircrewman next month and just had a couple questions. I read through the document link you provided about promotion and training pipeline and was wondering if that is still current? Are Aircrewmen still promoted to acting PO when wings are gained? Also, to be promoted to Acting Leading Hand it writes how ABLC needs to be completed, what is ABLC?
Thanks
Yes and no. Depends on the training pipeline as flying training normally takes precedence over a leadership course so programming occasionally means that you may have to wait to complete LRLC. But generally speaking you should finish OCU having completed the pre-requisite courses for you to be rated Acting PO, therefore joining the frontline as such.

I wouldn’t worry about this too much, firstly concentrate on the course and to be honest you’ll have little control, if any, of your training pipeline ie. when your courses will be.

If you want to do any pre-course reading, maybe some meteorology, a bit of oceanography and start to follow some open source intelliginece commentators on Twitter etc. I’d suggest H Sutton “Covert Shores” as this will help you to start understanding some aspects of your role.

Good luck with the course, head down and keep focussed!

Subbers

Midshipman
Thought I’d add my thoughts so far! I joined the RN in 2018 as a direct entry aircrewman and am due to join 824 in the near future.

may sound cliche but I can honestly say I’ve not had a bad day at work so far, maybe they’re yet to come in the near and far future, but a positive mindset goes a long long way. the life down here in Culdrose is good.

You learn to take on responsibility quickly and to know where and how to book things and arrange and organise yourself and are treated like an adult.

Alongside doing all of the courses required prior to joining 824, which most if not all are great experiences and very well run courses, I’ve had the opportunity to get away to Sicily on an exercise (and join one of the crews on a full sortie) which was awesome, sit a second language exam at the defence academy in shrivenham and spent some time learning to play horseback polo at the combined services club in Tidworth because why not. All thanks to the people down here in Culdrose. If you want to do something then go find out and ask people

there are many things you can do alongside your training/day to day job but I joined to get the most out of the navy and that’s what I plan on doing.

will be a lot to learn on 824 but I want those wings!

Waspie

War Hero
Thought I’d add my thoughts so far! I joined the RN in 2018 as a direct entry aircrewman and am due to join 824 in the near future.

may sound cliche but I can honestly say I’ve not had a bad day at work so far, maybe they’re yet to come in the near and far future, but a positive mindset goes a long long way. the life down here in Culdrose is good.

You learn to take on responsibility quickly and to know where and how to book things and arrange and organise yourself and are treated like an adult.

Alongside doing all of the courses required prior to joining 824, which most if not all are great experiences and very well run courses, I’ve had the opportunity to get away to Sicily on an exercise (and join one of the crews on a full sortie) which was awesome, sit a second language exam at the defence academy in shrivenham and spent some time learning to play horseback polo at the combined services club in Tidworth because why not. All thanks to the people down here in Culdrose. If you want to do something then go find out and ask people

there are many things you can do alongside your training/day to day job but I joined to get the most out of the navy and that’s what I plan on doing.

Get used to the camera lens too. 824 figure a lot on FaceBook in regards to keeping a photographic record of all their exploits including the training aspect of their role.

Good luck and glad your enjoying it - tis a grand life!!

MountainFox

Midshipman

Hi, I’m joining as direct entry Aircrewman in a couple of months too, very excited. Thanks for sharing it all sounds very positive. What was phase 2 training like for you? Where did most of it take place and did you have the opportunity of going home much during? Also, how did you find the process of being ‘streamlined’ into the ASW role? ASW is what I’m aiming for but the selection for CHF and ASW is a bit vague.

TIA :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waspie

War Hero
Before the new training regime. I simply told my wife I’d see her after I gained my wings!!! She wasn't too happy but it was my career we were talking about.

Subbers

Midshipman
Hi, I’m joining as direct entry Aircrewman in a couple of months too, very excited. Thanks for sharing it all sounds very positive. What was phase 2 training like for you? Where did most of it take place and did you have the opportunity of going home much during? Also, how did you find the process of being ‘streamlined’ into the ASW role? ASW is what I’m aiming for but the selection for CHF and ASW is a bit vague.

TIA :)

They’ve changed it now so that on streaming you’ll spend I believe a week in Yeovilton trying out CHF stuff and a week in Culdrose for ASW, prior to your aircrew interview board. Phase 2 training is good, you do a lot of courses all over the U.K. ie the dunker, survival etc. Then rest of flying training is down at Culdrose for ASW, yeovilton for CHF - does say on the careers website I found streaming challenging (rightly so) but really interesting and good fun...help each other out! If someone isn’t good at something then help them and likewise they’ll help you.

MountainFox

Midshipman
They’ve changed it now so that on streaming you’ll spend I believe a week in Yeovilton trying out CHF stuff and a week in Culdrose for ASW, prior to your aircrew interview board. Phase 2 training is good, you do a lot of courses all over the U.K. ie the dunker, survival etc. Then rest of flying training is down at Culdrose for ASW, yeovilton for CHF - does say on the careers website I found streaming challenging (rightly so) but really interesting and good fun...help each other out! If someone isn’t good at something then help them and likewise they’ll help you.
Great thanks. Yes I read about where the different training takes place but there is nothing in the actual process of streaming into one or the other. Sounds excellent though, was there anything you felt was unexpected or that you were unprepared for during phase 2? Why was the streaming challenging? I really appreciate your info so thank you so much!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
EH_UP_SHIPPERS FAA Warfare EC The Fleet Air Arm 6
M Jet fuel in the FAA The Fleet Air Arm 42
J Where will I be based? (FAA) The Fleet Air Arm 7
J Currently in the recruitment process (FAA Pilot application) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S RT Eligibility: FAA Pilot Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
J FAA Holding Times The Fleet Air Arm 3
C Aircraft Controller FAA and such Joining the Royal Navy 10
W FAA Aircrewman entry age Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
J How soon after AIB (FAA) is the Aircrew Medical? Joining the Royal Navy 1
D FAA WW2 The Fleet Air Arm 7
J BRNC January Entry FAA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Z FAA COMMANDO CREWMAN HELP... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
M FAA Pilot career progression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
G FAA Pilot Joining the Royal Navy 17
C New FAA Armourers Association Website The Fleet Air Arm 0
Pingerson 1970's FAA Aircrew Arctic Survival Training Film The Fleet Air Arm 1
T FATs, an FAA candidate's view 2015! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
Magic_Mushroom FAA Veteran's Funeral: Appropriate Content The Fleet Air Arm 5
P Typical day for an engineering officer in the FAA The Fleet Air Arm 11
scouse FAA Chinese Style The Fleet Air Arm 3
woody28 FAA Pilot & 6th Form??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
Seaweed FAA Aircrew Recruiting adverts The Fleet Air Arm 0
J Re-joining the FAA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
scouse The Halcyon days in the FAA The Fleet Air Arm 10
C Three remembered FAA Pilots? The Fleet Air Arm 6
C Experiences while serving in the FAA? The Fleet Air Arm 39
alfred_the_great What did the FAA do for us in WW2? The Fleet Air Arm 13
scouse FAA Centenary The Fleet Air Arm 9
scouse FAA the Dream The Fleet Air Arm 0
scouse Book by an ex FAA pilot The Fleet Air Arm 3
scouse Where FAA planes go to die HMS Sanderling The Fleet Air Arm 13
scouse FAA at the Bath and West show The Fleet Air Arm 0
J PO Alwyn Rob Roberts FAA RNAS Yeovilton Nearest & Dearest 11
scouse FAA 2013 calendar The Fleet Air Arm 8
scouse St Barts 100 years of FAA embroidery The Fleet Air Arm 0
scouse FAA faces a 4year gap in AEW and still not fixed wing The Fleet Air Arm 24
scouse FAA of the future or dreamtime?????? The Fleet Air Arm 3
TotalAlien FAA FJ Pilot Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Waspie FAA Motto The Fleet Air Arm 23
scouse Jock of the FAA??? The Fleet Air Arm 5
V Advice/Paths into the FAA? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
scouse FAA Aircrew Old and Bold Recruitment The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil FAA Museum: "New Exhibition Marks The Centenary Of Fixed Wing Naval Aviation" The Fleet Air Arm 2
O Queen Presenting Colours to FAA June 1991 The Fleet Air Arm 10
S FAA Field Gun Crew The Fleet Air Arm 6
T What is to happen to all FAA personnel? The Fleet Air Arm 16
Ghost Future (or lack of it) for the FAA? Current Affairs 2
shag_shacker very interesting chat from the FAA requirements manager The Fleet Air Arm 37
S Future of FAA Junglies? The Fleet Air Arm 10
Merlin28 FAA safety videos The Fleet Air Arm 6