FAA Warfare ASW Aircrewman Q and A.

craigy

Midshipman
If its combat you want - join the marines or the Army.
If you want a career and a trade that is transferable - stick to the Navy.
Don't see many jobs i the Job Centres for combat trained sailors!!!!
Ha, I knew you'd say that I am ex-infantry. I was considering RM but I'm too old!

Waspie

War Hero
Ha, I knew you'd say that I am ex-infantry. I was considering RM but I'm too old!
I hate to disappoint!
Even as a AET on Junglie squadrons you'll see little combat. Yes you'll complete some small arms training and fire some rounds down range but actual combat - doubtful. Your skills as a engineer are way too valuable to lose on a 5.56 or 7.62!!!
Infanteer!!! After 20 years at Bovington with tanks I can understand the need for change.

craigy

Midshipman
I hate to disappoint!
Even as a AET on Junglie squadrons you'll see little combat. Yes you'll complete some small arms training and fire some rounds down range but actual combat - doubtful. Your skills as a engineer are way too valuable to lose on a 5.56 or 7.62!!!
Infanteer!!! After 20 years at Bovington with tanks I can understand the need for change.
I'm excited either way, would love to get involved with CHF.

I hate to disappoint!
Tell that to the guys on 849 who had to return fire at Bastion when the Taliban invaded :)

ra232

@Mark Dip
I'm joining as an Aircrewman next month and just had a couple questions. I read through the document link you provided about promotion and training pipeline and was wondering if that is still current? Are Aircrewmen still promoted to acting PO when wings are gained? Also, to be promoted to Acting Leading Hand it writes how ABLC needs to be completed, what is ABLC?
Thanks

Mark Dip

Midshipman
@Mark Dip
I'm joining as an Aircrewman next month and just had a couple questions. I read through the document link you provided about promotion and training pipeline and was wondering if that is still current? Are Aircrewmen still promoted to acting PO when wings are gained? Also, to be promoted to Acting Leading Hand it writes how ABLC needs to be completed, what is ABLC?
Thanks
Yes and no. Depends on the training pipeline as flying training normally takes precedence over a leadership course so programming occasionally means that you may have to wait to complete LRLC. But generally speaking you should finish OCU having completed the pre-requisite courses for you to be rated Acting PO, therefore joining the frontline as such.

I wouldn’t worry about this too much, firstly concentrate on the course and to be honest you’ll have little control, if any, of your training pipeline ie. when your courses will be.

If you want to do any pre-course reading, maybe some meteorology, a bit of oceanography and start to follow some open source intelliginece commentators on Twitter etc. I’d suggest H Sutton “Covert Shores” as this will help you to start understanding some aspects of your role.

Good luck with the course, head down and keep focussed!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R The Fleet Air Arm 7
J Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
EH_UP_SHIPPERS The Fleet Air Arm 6