FAA Veteran's Funeral: Appropriate Content

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Magic_Mushroom, Jun 14, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Chaps,

I'd be grateful for some nautical advice please. My Uncle has sadly just passed away at the age of 80 after a long fight against cancer. His wife pre-deceased him and they had no children. He was always a bit of a maverick and in his later years sadly became a bit of a loner, largely withdrawing from family contact. However, I always got on well with him and, as a 13 year veteran of the FAA, he always enjoyed chatting aircraft with me and followed my own service career with interest.

Therefore, although he wasn't enormously religious, I'd like to include an appropriate nod to the Senior Service - and particularly the Fleet Air Arm - in his funeral which is scheduled for 19 Jun 15. I've found a FAA prayer but do not feel that this is entirely appropriate. Therefore, I wondered if there are any other FAA or RN prayers of hymns which anyone could suggest.

Many thanks for your help.

2. Sorry to hear your news. Another veteran over the bar.

At my Dad's funeral, we used the Naval Prayer:

and the hymn "Eternal Father, strong to save".

We also had an anchor on the front of the order of service, rather than his picture. You could use something like this, if you liked the idea.

I designed and printed them myself and took a lot of satisfaction doing it.

Awra best.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Apparently, the correct flag to drape the coffin is a Union Flag, but I've been to a couple of Naval veteran funerals and the White Ensign has been used - I have one spare if you wish, just pm an address, I'll ensure it arrives in time.

PS, If anyone else PM's me, bugger off - contact your local RNA.
  4. Gents,

Very many thanks indeed for your comments and suggestions. I'll let you know what we choose but the hymn and prayers hit the spot for me.

Particular thanks for the offer of an RN Ensign but I suspect that that would be a bit ostentatious for the old bugger!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chaps,

Thanks again for your advice. I read the naval prayer and there was appropriate Naval musical content as well.

RIP Uncle Terry.

13 years FAA AEM, Ex HMS Albion and Eagle.

As an aside, I've found a goldmine of photos from his service days which I shall be going through idc and perhaps offering to the FAA Museum.

• Like Like x 1