FAA Pilot

Hi, sorry for posting a new thread, but I have a couple of questions.
I’m currently looking at joining the FAA in two years after my A-Levels, but I would just like to know two things:
1 - Do FAA pilots ever deploy with the RAF or are they just solely Royal Naval deployments?
2 - what do FAA pilots do when they are not on deployment, eg. Do they go to the dockyard in Portsmouth or Plymouth, or just stay at FAA shore bases?

Replies would be enormously appreciated

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
1. They may sometimes work in joint force squadrons with RN & RAF pilots but unless on an exchange program, will usually serve in Naval Aviation.

2. Pilots usually work at air stations and on ships. They seldom visit UK dockyards (apart from possibly the aviation engineering mainenance unit in Portsmouth dockyard -1710 Naval Air Squadron), but sometimes undertake "out of branch" roles such as working in recruiting, trials, planning & support etc.

Waspie

War Hero
Don't know about 1. Too far out of date.

As for 2, until a real life pilot pops up. Rotary wing pilots when not deployed on board ship will still be required to fly to maintain their skills. They will endeavour to achieve various instrument ratings. Additional training to qualify as helicopter instructors or the equivalent in the fixed wing side. Warfare officer. Probably more course, IT/planning/security. Most officers will have additional duties regards the ratings they have to manage, Staff reports and such. Duties such as squadron officer. Station duty officer also get factored in.
You will find that as a Pilot/officer your time not embarked will keep you busy. That said - you will get a fair bit of time off. All work and no play etc.

I’m deliberating on becoming a warfare officer, or a pilot, as I love the Royal Navy feel, eg being deployed on a ship etc. And I don’t know/feel as if a FAA Pilot has that.

Sumo

War Hero
I’m deliberating on becoming a warfare officer, or a pilot, as I love the Royal Navy feel, eg being deployed on a ship etc. And I don’t know/feel as if a FAA Pilot has that.
hhm love the RN, or is that the idea of joining? The reality may be different.
WO or Fly boy, very different joining requirements, best to speak to a recruiter, before you keep dreaming of a life on the ocean waves?
You may do more sea time as an officer on RFA's than RN ships, if it's sea time you want?

There are/will be RN aircrew on the new RAF anti submarine fleet operating out of RAF Lossimouth. I'm not sure but there are also RN aircrew in the Chinook and Sentry fleets.

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
Um, you do know that we just brought two bloody great carriers? That's aircraft carriers. For aircraft.