FAA Pilot & 6th Form???

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by woody28, Feb 26, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello.... Kinda new to this Forum Site, but thought I'd get it because I aspire to be in the Royal Navy...

So, I am a 14, nearly 15 year old student in Year 10 and for over 2 years now I have aspired to be a Pilot in the Royal Navy's amazing Fleet Air Arm......
    Now, I've had a trip to my local careers office and have planned out sort of my next Decade,
    I, at first couldn't make my mind up about going to Welbeck Defence Sixth Form College as it is mainly for engineers and I really don't want any of that business, however the Chief at the careers office said that they sometimes accept pilots....any way, that's option 1.
    Today I discovered having a 6th Form Scholarship with the RN, therefore securing me a place at BRNC and then a career etc etc. Now for me at first, to do my A levels seems OK as my local college has a 97% pass rate and you get the jist of it....
    However my dilemma is which option I should choose, now my other dilemma comes down to what to fly when I get in....
    I've always wanted to be the pilot...always, not the observer, not the aircrew, not the engineer, THE PILOT so then I could never decide what to fly, do I go with the AW101 Merlin with ASW (Anti-Submarine Warfare) or Troop Carrying and then I discovered the Lynx Wildcat-fastest Heli on the world...

And then I discovered the JSF F-35 Lightning 2!!! A fast jet is every kids dream.

Just so you know I do OK in school, not too bad yet not 'top bof'. Predicted Grades are all in A area and I have soooooo much on my CV already, active member of The Sea Cadet Corps, DofE Bronze (doing Silver) and a lot of sailing etc. so yeah, you get a rough idea....

I hope one of you Jacks can help me in my quest for the best flying job and when I should apply.....

Thanks,

Benjamin.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome. The advice is, as I'm sure you are already aware, is that you can actually apply from age 14 for Welbeck. For a sixth form scholarship, you can apply from age 15 and 9 months. Whichever way you go, you must complete officer selection, you're not obligated to join and the earlier you get selection underway, the more leeway you have to revisit any selection elements in which you may be found wanting.

Good luck.

3. Thank you so much and I knew that I have to do my AIB etc. soon anyway, thank you for the help :).

4. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Your priorities are - Academic qualifications, Officer selection and aircrew aptitude. Once you have completed those, got to BRNC and passed flying and grading EFT etc, then the Navy will tell you what you are going to fly. By all means have aspirations and dreams, but the ultimate choice is not in your gift just yet. Having seen many aspiring aircrew join BRNC declaring to one and all that they were destined for fast jet, only to look very stupid when that dream came crashing down, my advice would be to keep it to yourself for the time being.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OK, I read somewhere that they told you what to fly after your Air Aptitude Test. Thanks again also.

6. :laughing5::happy1:

7. image.jpg Hope this is not you Slinger

8. Just so you know I do OK in school, not too bad yet not 'top bof'.

Don't set your goals too high then matey! Good on you for having an ambition, but give yourself a reality check. Find out how many fast jet pilots the FAA has, compared to how many pilots in entire FAA. Then compare against total personnel in FAA, (guess most of them REALLY wanted to be a FJ Pilot!) - get the picture? Reality is, you HAVE to be 'top bof' or you just won't make it. Again, not knocking you - but the best thing you could do is aim for 'top bof' and see what happens next. Good Luck!!!

9. Gets worse :-?

10. Ok, OK.... I have set my ambition high and I am getting As in most subjects, don't know why I said I wasn't top bof, guess I just didn't like the title.

11. Not just scholastic aptitude. Mental and physical too.
    You have to 'fit' the jet. Wrong body dimensions and your stuck on the deck.
    Too tall and you'll never fly.

12. (a)Why is this in Health & Fitness?
    (b)It doesn't matter which college you attend, so long as you get the required academic qualifications.
    (c)A 6th form scholarship is a great way to (almost) guarantee your place at BRNC, so apply for it. What have you got to lose? Be very aware, however, that you will be young at the AIB but still have to compete against the standard required of all and no allowance will be made for your youth.
    (d)Passing the flying aptitude test is just a tick in the box. Fail it and you won't ever be a pilot. Pass it and you'll go to the next step. Your score at the FATs has no bearing whatsoever on your future career, it's just a hoop through which you must jump.
    (e)As Silverfox has already said; you can express your preference and this will be noted but the aircraft to which you're assigned will be down to the requirements of the Service and how well you have performed throughout elementary and basic pilot training, it's certainly not a 'dilemma' for you, since you'll have little choice in the matter. There is also a certain amount of suitability that enters the equation i.e. a young, slightly less mature pilot is unlikely to go to the Lynx because he could very well find himself as Deputy Flight Commander which could exceed, at the time, his leadership and officer-like abilities. Likewise, someone who does not demonstrate considerable self-discipline is very unlikely to be selected for fast jet, where single-seat operations requires it in spades. The point being, it is not only your flying skill that determines which aircraft you end up flying but a whole raft of factors. You can only do your very best and hope the instructors agree with your preference.
    (f)Your CV sounds like it is filling well but there will be others with plenty of 'qualifications' to their name, so don't rest on your laurels. Silver D of E is not as good as Gold. Have you achieved everything there is to achieve as far as promotion, leadership courses, flying or sailing courses that the Sea Cadets offers? If not, then make sure you do because someone else will have. Remember, you will be an RN officer first, so pad out your CV with various examples of leadership tasks you've undertaken and make them good. Everybody will have led a science team or whatever, so make sure you've organised and executed a team event to conquer Mt Everest. You also want to be a pilot, so what flying experience do you have? How can you say you want to be pilot if you've never flown apart from sitting in the back of a 747? See where this is going, because the others competing for the few pilot slots will have.
    (g)I need to sleep now; it's what pilots do :)

• Like Like x 2