FAA Officers Association Gliding Scholarships for 2009

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by airborne_artist, Oct 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Full info here and a link to the online application form is on that page.

A total of fifty-one scholars were awarded gliding scholarships in 2008 - 38 male and 13 female. Courses take place at Lee-on-Solent, Culdrose and Yeovilton in the Easter and Summer holidays. All attendees can then join the Naval Air Careers Initiative which awards places on powered flying courses on 727 Squadron at VL, further week-end gliding at Lee, and perhaps VL in 2009, and places on the Summer Camp at BRNC.

While I think all places were allocated in 2008, the courses are not heavily over-subscribed, so an application is well worth it. As an add-on, the course counts as a Duke of Edinburgh Gold residential course. The course is completely free - you even get a rail warrant for your journey, and you stay for free, fully catered, in the Wardroom while on the course.

PM me if you need any further info.

Mods - could this be made a sticky for the month of November? VMT.

Ninja-Edit: 'tis done.
  2. A quick bump for this - one of the best offers around. Please post up if you have submitted an application after reading this thread. It would be good to see how/where the publicity is working.
  3. It might help if you could state who these scholarships are open to:
    serving officers
    serving ratings
    potential recruits
    etc. :thumright:
  4. Check the info on the link:

"Who is Eligible?

Young persons (male or Female) who are -

* Between the ages of 16 and 21
    * Interested in becoming a Naval pilot or observer
    * A British or Commonwealth citizen
    * In full time education at school, University or college

* A member of CCF (RN or Army) or the Sea Cadet Corps"

They are particularly aimed at those who want to fly in the FAA as commissioned aircrew, so they'll be expecting to see academic achievements/plans in line with officer entry requirements.

PM me with any specific questions.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Having had feedback from those that have had the privilege to attend gliding & powered flight scholarships: Aspiring Aircrew are strongly advised to get themselves on one of these courses - they're an excellent insight.
  6. Thanks for the info AA
    I was just too lazy to try the link :thanks:
    Though I'm out of the age group for the course, please may I have access to the aircrew nutty bar? :w00t:
  7. Just filled out my application and submitted it. Thanks for the info! Hopefully I'll be contacted soon about meeting a member of the FAAOA for my proposal.
  8. Done, thanks for the sticky!
  9. Just submitted my application. Thanks for the information on that one.
  10. Aero?
    Many holes in that too.
  11. Out of curiosity, do they run these every year? I won't be back in full-time education until September 2009.
  12. Ninja_Stoker

They run dependent on funding via the Fleet Air Arm Officers Association.

Currently there is no shortage of aircrew applicants, so whether they wish to throw money at it beyond 2009 is open to conjecture as it has yet to be announced for 2010 & beyond. A quick, cheap, cheeky & easy way to gain gliding/powered flight experience is to join the Air Training Corps or the University Air Squadron, THEN join the RN.
  13. I could do that, but I made some silly mistakes. I won't even be in Uni until, what? 2011?
  14. I'd be very surprised if they stopped - the FAAOA is still fundraising for future years, and as recruiting initiatives go they are very cheap for DNR.

Tim - apply - you are planning to go to uni/college and that means you qualify.
  15. Ninja_Stoker

I'm inclined to agree. If the new aircraft carriers ever start floating, then there will be the need for a few more fast jet pilots, if there's enough money in the kitty to put the carriers to sea & assuming the drivers are to be dark blue.
  16. Last time to the top girls and boys. Get your chits in for a week's free flying at one of HM's air stations :angel4:
  17. :w00t: Only if its rotary wing with flying pay :whew: :thumright:
  18. I never got a PM back when I replied.

I won't be back on COLLEGE until after this takes place, but I am planning on going back and should have a place by the summer.

Am I eligible to apply or should I wait until '10?
  19. Id say go for it now, you can always reapply next year if unsucessful.
  20. I replied to you, and you replied:

"Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:20 am
    Subject: Re: I saw your thread about the FAA gliding scholarship

I'm not planning to go to uni until 2011. I'm planning to go back to college in 2009. However, I'll apply. Thank you"