FAA Observer - time for a name change?

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by boredwafu, Jun 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The crabs have done it, the US and Canada have done it, anybody know if there is any name change afoot for us RN Observer types?

Been out of the rumour loop for a couple of years, so kinda curious?

Any suggestions welcome (standing by to receive!)
  2. Whats wrong with Observer, after all thats what they do:
    Observe the jockey flying the aircraft
    Observe the ground crew re fuelling, maintaining and cleaning the aircraft.
    Observe the ground crew buying the beers then discovering gold card not accepted in scrumpy house.
    Name seems to be a good one.
  3. Probably right, and still get flying pay too.....tough life
  4. Theres bound to be a name change due shortly. I mean, they have changed most of the rest recently.

5. If you're really bored then remember how Christine Keeler described her Sunday newspaper order.
    Two New Statesmen
    One Observer

and as many Times as possible.
    Depends on what one observes, clearly, as to what one should be called.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Rather than follow the RAF lead with regard changing from navigator to weapons thingy, why not "map reader". Or "wife", for short.
  7. Sh*t, would get more lost than normal if CINCNAGHOME got involved!!
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Fair one BW!
  9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I thought they were called Lookouts!
  10. they do need a name change, after all where would all the none flying lookers and none engineering AEOs work if they didnt have a team of 20 investigating this name change, also without this there might not be any chance of some of these getting their third ring
  11. Let's see- benefits of a name change - nil. Problems - change for the sake of it, lots of computer changes, piss off a few people.

Decision is obvious - will probably be changed. In the era where a Chef (Submariner) becomes Able Seaman (Logistics) (Preparation) (Submarine), Observer could easily be changed to something which spans at least 2 lines.
  12. i know a name for them.

I will sit here, do all the work, tell you where to go, tell you what to do when we get there, and guide you all the way home again, whilst you sit there point the sicks in the right direction thinking about all the birds your gona tell your a pilot.
  13. I thought they were called Ballast? Pound for pound, I'd rather have the fuel.........
  14. I think you are being pro-obs there JJ, but I had to read it a few times to make sure, sh*te spelling didn't help!

And your name for them was??....
  15. Buffer, be a good chap and get one a gin, and while your at it go polish something, my boots are at the door :hump:
  16. Spectator comes to mind, they seemed to be good at that on the squadrons Ive been on. Observer should be changed as its not very good description of thier job, I mean, what the hell could they observe from the coal hole in a Vixen? the pilots arse would be about all, and that would be making some strange noises on finals to a carrier deck at night. These brave men deserve a name change.
    PS Im begining to understand why I was dismissed from the chocks by a shinney leather flying boot so many times.
  17. Ninja_Stoker

How's about TomTom?

(or even TomTit, behind their backs of course)
  18. That was my name for them!!!!
    as for spelling errors YAWN Whatever.
  19. Cant see them changing the name to 'Navigator' - They already have them in the GS
  20. are you sure???? well there is the name "navigator" but even that is questionable