FAA Holding Times

jester148

Hi,

Does anyone know if the FAA is experiencing the same holding times during flying training as the RAF? 2 years before EFT for example.

I know MFTS is a mess, but I'm wondering if the FAA makes use of more exchange programmes VS the RAF, or do these generally only happen later in training? AFJT/OCU.

If the answer is yes, the FAA has the same holding times, then how is the time between training filled in the Navy?

Any insight into this would be massively appreciated!

Thanks.

jsf-35

Midshipman
I'm not an expert but from what I've heard holding times are down to a year for EFT and should improve in the next few years.
In terms of what drafts you have available during holds, it can vary, but is generally a staff role within the Navy or the MOD as a whole.

In terms of exchanges, it is a fairly well trodden path for FJ candidates to do an exchange flying F18s in the USN, or Typhoons in the RAF. Equally I have heard of exchanges flying Cobras/V22 with the USMC for helo pilots.

Again I am no expert, this is just what I have heard from some serving pilots, hope it helps!

Magic_Mushroom

War Hero
...Does anyone know if the FAA is experiencing the same holding times during flying training as the RAF? 2 years before EFT for example...
I'm afraid that lengthy holds during flying trg are common across all 3 services.

I assume that the RN do the same as us and try to assign holding studes to appropriate locations and units. An example would be working as an ops officer/gopher on a sqn at Culdrose.

...I know MFTS is a mess, but I'm wondering if the FAA makes use of more exchange programmes VS the RAF, or do these generally only happen later in training? AFJT/OCU...
The odd RAF pilot student is sent to do flying training with the Joint Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training Scheme at Shepphard AFB, Texas but I've never heard of the RN buying places on the course. Otherwise, exchange tours only become an option after a minimum of 2 or 3 tours and candidates are pulled from a similar demographic as QWIs and QFIs.

I'd expect RN fixed-wing exchange opportunities to be re-focused onto F-35B and possibly F-35C in coming years with perhaps 2-3 places available. Meanwhile, RW slots are available for RN pilots on MH-60 and MV-22 I believe.

Ironically, many exchange posts are quite difficult to fill as they incur significant financial cost (particularly in lost earnings for partners) to volunteers and can impact on children's' schooling.

Regards,
MM

Last edited: