faa eyesight

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by john87, Apr 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, im thinking about joining the RN in an engineering role, and ive been looking at the eyesight requirements for each role on http://www.assoc-optometrists.org/services/visual/visual_1010162371.html

My eyes are a bit dodge(not terrible, but not good either), and Im just wondering why the FAA engineering roles only require level III eyesight, whereas all the others require level II. Seems kind of odd to me, I would have thought, if anything, working on aircraft would need better eysight. Any reason for this difference? or is it just an error on that website?
  2. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Hi John and welcome to the site, I have absolutely no idea what the answer is but I know a man who may so I am transferring your post across to Newbies where our resident expert can enlighten.
  3. yes you have to have eyes.......
  4. Info on that website is out of date.

Standards for aircrew are higher, but engineering roles are the same whether air engineer or not (with the exception of colour perception, which must be higher for air engineers).
  5. cheers for the reply angrydoc. any idea what the eyesight requirements for entry to the engineering roles is now?
  6. Without going into the intricacies of it, you don't need to have fantastic vision for engineering. As long as you're not blind your should be ok!

PM me if you want specifics.