FAA career advice..

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Sierra_Hotel, Oct 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, not quite the usual careers advice question, have been through it too many times before.

Over the summer i completed my JAR-PPL (A) and am wondering what the best thing to do next would be to help build useful experience, before (hopefully) joining the FAA as a Pilot. I have been looking at doing the IMC and night rating, but would it be worth just hour building instead?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sam

2. Do everything that you are able to, you can`t beat experience.

3. Get onto one of the aviation sites like PPrune and ask a pilot.

A few friends of mine went across to the USA and ferried puddle jumpers just to rack up hours. Lived out of a suitcase but certainly clocked the hours.

As Hig said get experience. Once in the mob you will be limited to a single aircraft type for years on end after training.

4. Why bother? If you get in, you will have more than enough flying experience and hours surely. Is it just to increase your chances at success during elementary flying training?

5. If he's already got his PPL I imagine elementary flying training will be something of a walkthrough.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Assuming you've passed FATs & AIB then any additional flight related experience would be of benefit to you.

The only thing I'd advise Sam, is that if you haven't passed selection you will no doubt be aware that a PPL does not replace FATs, nor does it negate AIB, so they should be your main focus of attention in order that you may be selected for entry as a pilot.

Good luck.

7. Having your PPL is great but tbh it wont help you that much, you will "only" be 20-30 hours ahead of your contemparies and they will soon catch you up. Remember the Mil will try to teach you in their own way, you will also have to do Grading where you are assessed for Pilot aptitude.

Grading is not only to find out wether you can fly but how quickly you can be taught and retain skills, Mil flying/training is very different to the civvy world. As to the IMC?Night ratings, do an hour of each to see just what is expected of you and to give yourself an insight of how hard they can be.

As others have said get AIB sorted soonest then you will know which way to go.

Good luck with whatever you do though...

8. Slightly off subject, please do excuse me, but I'm very new to all this. I have recently passed AIB and FATS. I'm 25, so very close to the Pilot cut off age bracket. I have been given a start date for BRNC too, which is excellent.... However I have only been offered ATC which wasn't my first choice, but I want to be an officer in the Navy, so i have taken it (plus my age makes it very unlikely of getting in next year). I originally wanted Pilot. Has anyone heard of someone re-training from other branches into Pilot? whilst at BRNC or after training? I want to know if there is still some chance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The maximum "in service" age to transfer to Aircrew is 27 at commencement of EFT. Your previous FATs score will be taken in relation to all current successful applicants. Whilst it is possible, in exceptional circumstances to take a second FAT most people do not appreciably increase their initial scores, so I'm told from those that know.

10. Thanks chaps,

may hop ovre to PPrune and ask.

Am off to uni next year, so will try and do some flying with the university air sqns to build some military flying hours as well, before trying to get a Uni scholarship for the fleet air arm. This way i should have experience best of both worlds of aviation.

cheers,

Sam

11. Good for you S-H.

During my flying in the FAA I had 2 pilots who both had previous flying experience. One a lenthy time on gliders. The other was a Bristows trained helicopter pilot.

Their prior flying experience showed over my other bosses who solely had Mil flying hrs.

As a holder of a PPL you will be aware there is more to flying than simply poling the aircraft. Good spacial awareness and the ability to do more than one thing at once. Operating radios, judging weather, good lookout, air traffic procedures to name but a few.

Best of luck with your flying career.

12. Don't rack up debts doing it - your aptitude won't improve, and your progress through EFT and on won't be any faster, or with any greater chance of success. I had plenty of PPL hours, and the best guy on my course at EFT was a barrister who went onto Sea Harrier.

While some poling skills are good for FATs, there's no advantage once in the training system. In fact there may even be a disadvantage if you have to re-learn the Service way of doing things.

13. Hi all, i'm aiming to become a pilot in the FAA, i've passed my FATs and have an AIB early in Decmber.

I've been told to research my "chosen career path" as much as possible. I know quite a bit about the training up until joinin an operational squadron.

HOWEVER Im trying to find out how an Aircrew Officer might progress his career through the Service. Could anyone be able to fill me in on anything related to this?

Do you opt between rising through the ranks or maintaining a flying career? What does this mean if you pick the former? What oppurtunities are there for switching between branchs / aircraft types? How would you, in general, progress your career? Etc...

I'd be highly grateful for *anything* related to the above.

Thanks again

14. Shadders......why bother? The fleet air arm is just about on its last legs, no fixed wing aircraft and a handfull of dud helicopters, if you want a life in the aviation world try the air force, the two junior royals have seen the light and snubbed the RN, one going into the air force and the other to the army air corps. there is no way an aviator can reach command rank in the RN without going messing about on ships, and living on a ship is not every ones cup of tea, allthough from an officers life you do have a much easier time of it, and much better conditions, but it is still soul destroying.

15. Agree totally with AA. Enjoy your time at Uni. If you want to know more about the RN, then join an URNU. Not sure how the UAS would take it if you have so many hrs already and want to join the FAA.

Red Baron, I don't think that you've got much chance of transferring P whilst at BRNC (or after due to age) for ATC. If you're FATs were good enough they'd probably have offered you pilot first. You could try turning down ATC and telling AIB that you only want pilot to show that you're serious, gutsy call to make though.

Shadders, interesting question. I doubt that AIB would expect you to know much past becoming a front-line pilot, but the more info the better. Promotion past Lt is slow (but not non-existent) in the FAA unless you are someone who wants to get promoted and are willing to broaden (usually by going to sea and doing warfairy stuff). And this means not flying for a while/ever again. There are odd jobs in aviation warfare (i.e. amphib or carrier) but apparently they aren't very *fun*. I could go on all night about this but it's proabably better to say that there will be many options open to you for your 2nd job (after qualifying) and beyond. The last 2SL was an aviator, and with the coming emphasis on carrier warfare, you can be sure that we're here to stay!

Goldensky

16. cheers! but the FAA's about to grow, contrary to it being on its last legs! the FAA is now the place to be! but yeh, please by all means spread that the FAA is on the out, it'll improve my chances!

17. Shadders...........I asume you are basing your assumption thet the FAA is about to grow on the building of the two new aircraft carriers, don't bet on it, by the time they are built and operational you will be swanning around on a stick.The navy has good form at losing air forces, 1918 the RNAS to the air force, 1966 the fleet air arm fixed wing squadrons to oblivion. At the start of WW2 the navy did not make a great effort to get it's air force back, it was given back because the crabs were discontented at living and working on ships, and who can blame them....more to follow

18. The situation for you FAA types is not helped by several RN Flag officers having independantly stated to Joint audiences that 'we don't care who flies the aircraft off them, as long as we get the carriers'.

With friends like that...