Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FAA All ROTARY NOW ????

Haggis_Catcher

War Hero
does this mean the Elizabeth class carriers will be scrapped do to there being no need of a run way and possibly more helicopter carriers such as ocean?
 

chieftiff

War Hero
Moderator
E-goat is reporting all remaining Harrier Sqdns to Wittering before Apr 2011, Cottesmore closes by 2013, they had a clear lower deck today apparently.

Considering there isn't possibly enough room at Wittering to accomodate all of the Harrier support operations - LITS, IPT, BAe HPAC, Logistical Support, Married Quarters etc, etc I've deduced that the Harriers will be gone at the same time Cottesmore closes, so FAA will be rotary wing only by 2013.

It's just a theory and I'm still trying to work out where exactly 3 more Sqdns are going to find enough hangar and line space at Wittering, let alone office space!

Makes you wonder how they intend to man those carriers in 20xx doesn't it?
 

scouse

War Hero
chieftiff said:
E-goat is reporting all remaining Harrier Sqdns to Wittering before Apr 2011, Cottesmore closes by 2013, they had a clear lower deck today apparently.

Considering there isn't possibly enough room at Wittering to accomodate all of the Harrier support operations - LITS, IPT, BAe HPAC, Logistical Support, Married Quarters etc, etc I've deduced that the Harriers will be gone at the same time Cottesmore closes, so FAA will be rotary wing only by 2013.

It's just a theory and I'm still trying to work out where exactly 3 more Sqdns are going to find enough hangar and line space at Wittering, let alone office space!

Makes you wonder how they intend to man those carriers in 20xx doesn't it?
:roll: curioser and curioser!!! how many Harriers, does the FAA have at its command??? 800 sqdn NSW etc :wink:
 
i, the wife and the kids are wearing a black armband made from the freshly shaved pussy (feline - not mrs SS monkey) as a mark of respect.

now known as the black vstol day on the families longcast
 
scouse said:
chieftiff said:
E-goat is reporting all remaining Harrier Sqdns to Wittering before Apr 2011, Cottesmore closes by 2013, they had a clear lower deck today apparently.

Considering there isn't possibly enough room at Wittering to accomodate all of the Harrier support operations - LITS, IPT, BAe HPAC, Logistical Support, Married Quarters etc, etc I've deduced that the Harriers will be gone at the same time Cottesmore closes, so FAA will be rotary wing only by 2013.

It's just a theory and I'm still trying to work out where exactly 3 more Sqdns are going to find enough hangar and line space at Wittering, let alone office space!

Makes you wonder how they intend to man those carriers in 20xx doesn't it?
:roll: curioser and curioser!!! how many Harriers, does the FAA have at its command??? 800 sqdn :crybaby: NSW etc :wink:
dont even mention that name on today of all days :x :x :x
 

scouse

War Hero
shag_shacker said:
scouse said:
chieftiff said:
E-goat is reporting all remaining Harrier Sqdns to Wittering before Apr 2011, Cottesmore closes by 2013, they had a clear lower deck today apparently.

Considering there isn't possibly enough room at Wittering to accomodate all of the Harrier support operations - LITS, IPT, BAe HPAC, Logistical Support, Married Quarters etc, etc I've deduced that the Harriers will be gone at the same time Cottesmore closes, so FAA will be rotary wing only by 2013.

It's just a theory and I'm still trying to work out where exactly 3 more Sqdns are going to find enough hangar and line space at Wittering, let alone office space!

Makes you wonder how they intend to man those carriers in 20xx doesn't it?
:roll: curioser and curioser!!! how many Harriers, does the FAA have at its command??? 800 sqdn :crybaby: NSW etc :wink:
dont even mention that name on today of all days :x :x :x
Have the answer to my above :cry: :cry: There will be 20 Airframes. 8 deployable with each Sqn. 14 Pilots on each Sqn.
 

chieftiff

War Hero
Moderator
shag_shacker said:
dont even mention that name on today of all days :x :x :x

I do remember suggesting that 801 will never exist again over a year ago although I was taking the p!ss, pains me to have been right :evil:
 
To add a new slant to the rumour, some of my mates have been speaking about a zoomie return to VL, not likely to happen, but as we junglies are getting old RAF merlin airframes, the MOD are discussing a move for us to Culdrose!
 

Oil_Slick

War Hero
Welllllll…


Didn't some FAA Sqns spend their time with dry feet flying Spitfires during WWII?

800 Naval Air (Typhoon) Squadron anyone?
 

off_les_aura

War Hero
Junglie_killick said:
To add a new slant to the rumour, some of my mates have been speaking about a zoomie return to VL, not likely to happen, but as we junglies are getting old RAF merlin airframes, the MOD are discussing a move for us to Culdrose!

I believe a few of your fraterity are paying us a visit down here in the very near future as a scoping exercise.

Makes sense to have Merlin Main Base Support, Depth, Workshops etc and all Merlin airframes in the same place IMO.
 

off_les_aura

War Hero
chieftiff said:
shag_shacker said:
dont even mention that name on today of all days :x :x :x

I do remember suggesting that 801 will never exist again over a year ago although I was taking the p!ss, pains me to have been right :evil:

For me 801 died on 31 March 2006, as did Naval Fixed-Wing Aviation. Cott/Witt was always a stop-gap to my mind.

I'm sure I've made the right decision to jump. Will the last person to leave the FAA please turn the light out.
 
off_les_aura said:
chieftiff said:
shag_shacker said:
dont even mention that name on today of all days :x :x :x

I do remember suggesting that 801 will never exist again over a year ago although I was taking the p!ss, pains me to have been right :evil:

For me 801 died on 31 March 2006, as did Naval Fixed-Wing Aviation. Cott/Witt was always a stop-gap to my mind.

I'm sure I've made the right decision to jump. Will the last person to leave the FAA please turn the light out.
:evil:

i agree - 31st of march is a solemn affair in my house. my wife has hit upon the good idea of wearing nothing but my 801 surcoat, cumberbund and FDH with the crest on the back for a spot of early turn-too lower-deck-loving. gets me through the day :(
 

Waspie

War Hero
Junglie_killick said:
, the MOD are discussing a move for us to Culdrose!

The Junglies were at CU when I started the Junglie circuit in the early 70's. 707, 845 & 848 not forgetting 846. They moved to VL in 72/73 I believe.
 

off_les_aura

War Hero
Waspie said:
Junglie_killick said:
, the MOD are discussing a move for us to Culdrose!

The Junglies were at CU when I started the Junglie circuit in the early 70's. 707, 845 & 848 not forgetting 846. They moved to VL in 72/73 I believe.

Dunno where we'd fit 400 pax and all the cabs and GSE, mind you. No spare hangarage, no spare SLA, SFA is topped out (Bulwark Rd estate sold off years ago).
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N songs of the FAA The Fleet Air Arm 1
M Jet fuel in the FAA The Fleet Air Arm 42
J Where will I be based? (FAA) The Fleet Air Arm 7
J Currently in the recruitment process (FAA Pilot application) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
S RT Eligibility: FAA Pilot Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
J FAA Holding Times The Fleet Air Arm 3
C Aircraft Controller FAA and such Joining the Royal Navy 10
W FAA Aircrewman entry age Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
J How soon after AIB (FAA) is the Aircrew Medical? Joining the Royal Navy 1
D FAA WW2 The Fleet Air Arm 7
J BRNC January Entry FAA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Z FAA COMMANDO CREWMAN HELP... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
M FAA Pilot career progression Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
G FAA Pilot Joining the Royal Navy 17
C New FAA Armourers Association Website The Fleet Air Arm 0
Pingerson 1970's FAA Aircrew Arctic Survival Training Film The Fleet Air Arm 1
Mark Dip FAA Warfare ASW Aircrewman Q and A. The Fleet Air Arm 105
T FATs, an FAA candidate's view 2015! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
Magic_Mushroom FAA Veteran's Funeral: Appropriate Content The Fleet Air Arm 5
P Typical day for an engineering officer in the FAA The Fleet Air Arm 11
scouse FAA Chinese Style The Fleet Air Arm 3
EH_UP_SHIPPERS FAA Warfare EC The Fleet Air Arm 6
woody28 FAA Pilot & 6th Form??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
Seaweed FAA Aircrew Recruiting adverts The Fleet Air Arm 0
J Re-joining the FAA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
scouse The Halcyon days in the FAA The Fleet Air Arm 10
C Three remembered FAA Pilots? The Fleet Air Arm 6
C Experiences while serving in the FAA? The Fleet Air Arm 39
alfred_the_great What did the FAA do for us in WW2? The Fleet Air Arm 13
scouse FAA Centenary The Fleet Air Arm 9
scouse FAA the Dream The Fleet Air Arm 0
scouse Book by an ex FAA pilot The Fleet Air Arm 3
scouse Where FAA planes go to die HMS Sanderling The Fleet Air Arm 13
scouse FAA at the Bath and West show The Fleet Air Arm 0
J PO Alwyn Rob Roberts FAA RNAS Yeovilton Nearest & Dearest 11
scouse FAA 2013 calendar The Fleet Air Arm 8
scouse St Barts 100 years of FAA embroidery The Fleet Air Arm 0
scouse FAA faces a 4year gap in AEW and still not fixed wing The Fleet Air Arm 24
scouse FAA of the future or dreamtime?????? The Fleet Air Arm 3
TotalAlien FAA FJ Pilot Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Waspie FAA Motto The Fleet Air Arm 23
scouse Jock of the FAA??? The Fleet Air Arm 5
V Advice/Paths into the FAA? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
scouse FAA Aircrew Old and Bold Recruitment The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil FAA Museum: "New Exhibition Marks The Centenary Of Fixed Wing Naval Aviation" The Fleet Air Arm 2
O Queen Presenting Colours to FAA June 1991 The Fleet Air Arm 10
S FAA Field Gun Crew The Fleet Air Arm 6
T What is to happen to all FAA personnel? The Fleet Air Arm 16
Ghost Future (or lack of it) for the FAA? Current Affairs 2
shag_shacker very interesting chat from the FAA requirements manager The Fleet Air Arm 37
Similar threads


















































Top