F35

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Goodwinch95, Apr 16, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For all those out there who are waiting for the F35 to turn up and be the greatest thing ever to fly off our Carriers, I would strongly suggest that you listen on BBC i Player radio to a programme broadcast last Tues 14 at 2000 called the "Edge". It discusses whether the West is losing the edge it once had regarding military capabilities. The most interesting part was the discussion on stealth aircraft and in particular the F35. I won't spoil it by telling all, but one fact that is worth mentioning, was how the radars to defeat any stealth aircraft were available before the first stealth aircraft was delivered. This gem was from the gentleman who designed the F16. It is all well worth a listen

2. Pierre Sprey didn't design the F-16, in fact he *hates* the fact that it's a versatile multirole aircraft with an excellent combat record: he believes it was ruined forever when it got a decent radar and guided missiles, neither of which (according to him) work. He's... not highly regarded by actual practicioners, shall we say, but makes a nice living out of explaining to reporters why nothing modern works and the US Air Force should still be flying the F-86 Sabre.

Radars can detect Stealth aircraft - it's *reduced* detection range, not a Romulan cloaking device - but what you can do about it is a different matter. During GW1 and again over the Balkans, Type 42s were detecting F-117 Nighthawks on Radar 1022 (big, low-frequency set) - but they couldn't turn that into "Sea Dart locked-on" because the F-117 was much more invisible in I-band (the 909 tracker for Sea Dart) than the D-band for 1022. "Knowing he's up there" doesn't help if you still can't guide a weapon onto him...

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  3. ... or the F-35's opponent only detects it on radar three minutes after having been spotted, ID'd and locked-on itself.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. the u.k. sold 72 harriers to the u.s for just3182 MILLION, LESS THAN THE COST OF 2 NEW F35B's we could have easily manned the carriers , maybe even put one on ocean or a full squadron on a recomissioned illustrious, in a crazy world i'd put one on the albion and another on bulwark!(not gonna happen we know that). the f35 is a piece of techno snobbery, one of the main reasons we've lost ships is the cost of building new ones with the bells and whistles the navy wants on them. the harrier had years of service left in it. cancel 2 f35's buy back our harriers, the R.A.F. would be delighted, the carriers would have their aircraft and all available before a third of the f35 order is even built.

• Braindead Braindead x 4
  5. as i was on antrim in 1982, we were all agreed that sea dart should have replaced the useless seaslug systems that couldn't hit a slow moving hercules off south georgia .standing on the pointy end and throwing conkers was more effective

• Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  6. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Yeah. Let's wind back the clock thirty years and continue to run vulnerable subsonic aircraft. Let's go rummage down at Leyals and weld back the bits of the old CVS and burn hundreds of tons of F76 to drive a 20000 tonne piece of shit to it's eventual, swift self-destruction.

They navy has moved on, as has most of the planet. Looking at those antiquated piles of cack Putin drove down our street a fortnight ago, I am not much worried.

levers

• Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

So you'll agree that running Sea Harriers these days is a bit of a mugs game when their range and performance is well under half that of the F35B?

levers

• Like Like x 1
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  8. Levers - RR's recently-joined AR9 has taken a certain delight in imposing hisself on threads of aged and sometimes uncertain vintage.

Play him at his game and maybe he'll eventually wise up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. if they're such relics why do the us.m.c still use them? at least they didn't smash the overall R.N. budget, they are proven, which is more than the fingers crossed it actually works great american hope

• Braindead Braindead x 1
  11. performance evaluation from an armchair is all well and good, but extolling the virtues of an unproven aircraft, which is being produced at the snail pace the carriers were a plane with a half million cost for a helmet is the fiscal plicy of the madhouse

12. range and performance? where did you get that from? the'sun'?

13. Since you're questioning others about performance you must consider yourself some sort of sage on the topic and might do us the service of explaining your bring-back policy of AMRAAM with the SHARs you propose we should have kept. Even better, let us know about the FA2 performance, even without weapons, when it got a bit warm outside.

The USMC use them as a close air support platform, whereas the RN used the SHAR for fleet defence/fighter. The CAS role has not changed. The defence/fighter role has changed beyond recognition.

Before you dismiss the cost of the helmets you must (a)find out their actual purpose (a clue: they're not there just to protect the pilot's bonce and (b)figure out just how the aircraft avionics can be minimised as a result. The people that design and build these things are not stupid.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

This thread sums up the phrase 'the stupid, it burns'.

• Like Like x 1
  15. if you're here to insult other peoples intelligence i suggest you do 'one' at least i can post with the knowlage that i have experienced 'real war in a blue suit. which is more than most on this joke site

• Braindead Braindead x 2
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  16. i like most know what a helmet is and what its used for:p

17. :p

18. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Oh goody, another one of the 'you dont know what it was like you werent there man' brigade. Even more amusingly you cant spell 'knowledge'....

Good for you for going south in 82, but serving in a war 34 years ago doesnt mean you are immune from catching the 'I'm a tedious boring twat' disease.

Now if you'll excuse me, I am off to polish my medal rack for Sunday. It will take some time to do all of them.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Ace, as Pontius was a Harrier pilot and you regard his post as brain dead, perhaps you could tell all of us how he was flying it wrongly?

Did you go down south I n 82 or is that "Call of Duty" experience.

• Like Like x 1
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  20. upload_2016-11-11_20-0-51.png

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1