Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Goodwinch95, Apr 16, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For all those out there who are waiting for the F35 to turn up and be the greatest thing ever to fly off our Carriers, I would strongly suggest that you listen on BBC i Player radio to a programme broadcast last Tues 14 at 2000 called the "Edge". It discusses whether the West is losing the edge it once had regarding military capabilities. The most interesting part was the discussion on stealth aircraft and in particular the F35. I won't spoil it by telling all, but one fact that is worth mentioning, was how the radars to defeat any stealth aircraft were available before the first stealth aircraft was delivered. This gem was from the gentleman who designed the F16. It is all well worth a listen
  2. Pierre Sprey didn't design the F-16, in fact he *hates* the fact that it's a versatile multirole aircraft with an excellent combat record: he believes it was ruined forever when it got a decent radar and guided missiles, neither of which (according to him) work. He's... not highly regarded by actual practicioners, shall we say, but makes a nice living out of explaining to reporters why nothing modern works and the US Air Force should still be flying the F-86 Sabre.

Radars can detect Stealth aircraft - it's *reduced* detection range, not a Romulan cloaking device - but what you can do about it is a different matter. During GW1 and again over the Balkans, Type 42s were detecting F-117 Nighthawks on Radar 1022 (big, low-frequency set) - but they couldn't turn that into "Sea Dart locked-on" because the F-117 was much more invisible in I-band (the 909 tracker for Sea Dart) than the D-band for 1022. "Knowing he's up there" doesn't help if you still can't guide a weapon onto him...
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  3. ... or the F-35's opponent only detects it on radar three minutes after having been spotted, ID'd and locked-on itself.