F35 Pilot of the future?

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by MrCameron, Jun 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello Rum Nation!
    I've always wanted to go into Aviation on fast jets. But recently I've been looking more and more into, becoming a fast jet pilot on-board the new QE2 carriers, after my granddad has told me about his experiences as an aviation engineer aboard HMS Eagle. But what are the chances of actually getting the job, bearing in mind I'm 15 now I should be inline to join when the F35's are introduced, because I've heard that their already training the pilots in the US; do you think will the job be open for entry level pilots around 2023?
    or will it only be for experienced pilots?

Thanks in advance.

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You'd best sort out the Nation's economy before you think about flying fast jets, Mr. Cameron..! :shock: :wink:

3. Welcome to Rum Ration, MrC.

As you are clearly very keen, try to touch base with your nearest RN recruiters. The Area Careers Liaison Officer has access to Special Flying Award places. If you are lucky enough, you can take part in one of several flight experiences, starting with an Air Experience Flight at RNAS Yeovilton and ranging up to Gliding Camps and Powered Flight Camps. (The Powered Flight one is for slightly older candidates).

The Fleet Air Arm Officers Association has something similar:

FAAOA Aviation Scholarship, Gliding, Royal Navy Pilots, Observers

4. I see what you did there

5. I've just noticed this bit of your post. Don't plan to join in 2023 if you are 15 now, as you will then be 26 and too old to join as a Pilot. Aircrew must be under the age of 26 on the first day of their month of entry to BRNC. Think about joining earlier, perhaps much earlier.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  6. Thanks, I'll give it a go nothing to lose after all.

7. Yeah sorry, abit' of a typo, I meant 2021, perhaps earlier

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  8. Are you planning to do something else after leaving school, before applying to join as a Pilot?

9. Yeah I'm looking at a degree in Aeronautical Engineering and a gap year.

10. Ah! The bad old days when some pilots were AEOs as well!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. but are the old and bold test pilots??? Like in the bad old days???

12. But not many fixed wing low level below 50 ft types though!!! Nowadays in the FAA!!! Lol

13. GIVE ME BUCCANEERS
    Dont give me the Jaguar,
    unless you refer to the car,
    the car is a ground hog - the aircraft is half frog
    dont give me the Jaguar.

(Chorus)
    Give me Buccaneers,
    theyre British through and through,
    The Banana Jet,
    The Best we've had yet,
    We are the last of the few.

Dont give me the Harrier jump jet,
    You haven't convinced me yet,
    Jets that fly backwards, is soon to be knackered,
    Dont give me the Harrier jump jet.

(Chorus)
    Give me Buccaneers,
    The Banana Jet,
    The Best we've had yet,

Dont give me this computer crap,
    Its no way to tackle a SAP,
    Its OK for Dicks, Germans and Spicks,
    But a Gentleman carries a map (for Rick 'P').

(Chorus)
    Give me Buccaneers,
    The Banana Jet,
    The Best we've had yet,

Dont give me Air Traffic Control,
    They live in a bloddy great hole,
    They scream and they shout, then F##k you about,
    Dont give me Air Traffic Control.

(Chorus)
    Give me Buccaneers,
    The Banana Jet,
    The Best we've had yet,

Dont give me the F-104,
    Its only a ground loving whore,
    It goes in a turn, flick spin and burn,
    Dont give me the F-104,

(Chorus x2)
    Give me Buccaneers,
    The Banana Jet,
    The Best we've had yet,

14. I'm 99% certain the last of the AEO Empire Test Pilots left the RN some years ago. There are AEO MTPs (Maintenance Test Pilots) but they are not TPs per say, but pilots who have had additional training for testing a specific aircraft type once it comes out of heavy maintenance. A UTP (Unit Test Pilot) can do squadron test flights when the crate has had more minor work carried out on it. The Lynx MTP was always busy in Portland because all the Lynx were based there and then farmed out to the ships' flights, as opposed to a Pinger or Jungly squadron where the UTP could do the work. The main point being these guys had not attended ETPS at Boscombe Down, so were not 'proper' military test pilots.

It goes without saying the SHAR UTPs were very, very gifted aviators who carried a huge stick, with which to beat off the adoring dorii.

15. But the Buccaneer AEO/TEST Pilots were Korean war heroes, and much more handsome than those SHAR boys. Who used there black and silver walking stick to prod the Bucc on his Pre flight DI at HMS Fulmar:love4:

16. Mr Cameron,

In my opinion your age will work out about right for the F35. Assuming your degree will take you to 21 years old, that makes it 2018 when you graduate. Provided you don't piss around trying to 'find yourself' during a gap year and get your arse in gear, you'd pop out of BRNC in 2019, ready to begin pilot training. It's going to take a good 2-3 years to get through the pipeline, so you'd be going front line in 2021-2022 i.e. a couple of years into the F35 being operated from HMS QE (2020 timetable).

If you want to be a Fleet Air Arm pilot then forget the gap year and concentrate on jumping through the selection procedure hoops.

If you want to be a Fleet Air Arm pilot and somebody suggests you become an AEO, make sure you send them a wicked email virus =)

Please note Aeronautical Engineering has nothing to do with aeroplanes. It is a really hard sums course with a fancy name to make people want to do it ^_~

Finally, unless things change in the meantime, you cannot join the FAA as a fixed wing pilot. You will join as a pilot expecting to fly the things where the wings go whizzing around over your head. If you demonstrate the aptitude required of a fast jet pilot then you'll be offered the chance to fulfil your goal but do not join the FAA if it's fixed wing or bust, because you could find yourself being a very unhappy bunny. With the Sea Harrier a good deal of the pilots did a tour or so on helicopters and were able to do a cross-over course. I have absolutely no idea whether this will be on the cards with the F35 so, if you realise you could end up never flying the F35 but are still happy to join the World's premier flying service, then crack on. If that's not for you, then practice pouting your lips, develop a mincing walk and sign on the dotted line for the RAF.

17. Now, Scouse, I'm beginning to worry about you. You do realise that walking sticks are not a requirement of a fast jet pilot, don't you? I would go further by suggesting such walking aids are probably NOT a good thing, whether being used to prod their aerial conveyance or not 8O I'm pleased to say that I never had to call upon a cane to help propel me about the flight deck and/or ramp but I have to admit to not being an AEO, nor a war hero. I do, though, have a fair amount of time spent flying into and over Korea and can act as a very knowledgeable guide when it comes to the night spots of Itaewon :wave:

18. Thought when i was a snotty nosed 16yr old junior pinky on 809 Squadron. Watching LT/CDR SPIV LEAHY doing his DI with his black/silver top walking cane, that he was a GOD..... PS read his Wiki he joined as a Junior naval airman!!!!!

19. Thanks for the advice. I'm very sure I want to join the FAA even if it isn't as a fast jet Pilot.
    On your note about Aeronautical engineering, I was under the impression that Aeronautical engineering was a gateway into the Aerospace industry (at least that's what the course summary read) be that civil or military.

As for the gap year I'm undecided, I was thinking about it but hadn't really thought about what I would do in it, perhaps more thought is required.