F35, a bit naff?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by EarlyChop, Feb 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What do you make of this?

2. Political hype to pull out of future funding of the project.

However, the Sukoi looks as cool as ever.

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

MODS could we merge this with the F35 thread thats running so that everything is together

4. Good bet that's true. Politicians realise they don't really fancy buying these expensive little blighters so they rubbish them first. I wonder if there is any truth to them not being particularly effective at visual range dogfighting.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Surely the idea of F35 and other modern air defence fighters is to fight well beyond visual range? Isn't this about WW4 rather than WW2?

6. Best pilots to ask regards vis range dog fighting are the Israelis, they are the masters of dog fighting in jets using canon!!!!

7. Visual range dogfighting?

Things have gone remarkably wrong if that ever happens.

8. agreed....

9. You are talking about the RN, who ignore tactically proven doctrine just to ensure a Thursday War goes smoothly. And the FOSTies answer when challenged on this:

"well, you never know when it might be needed. But we'll not be practicing the proper way to do things......."

• Like Like x 1
  10. Why would you attack someone with a printer?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cos it's a 'laser' printer - obvious innit!!

12. Though probably a better option is the Canon Bubble Jet i80. Just check out some of the features and you will see why it is more than a match for an F35 (or a Sukhoi);

Smaller, sleeker, smarter
    Significantly smaller than competitive models and ultra lightweight, at just 1.8 kg... its sleek, stylish design will turn heads wherever you go.
    Convenient wireless connectivity
    Speed and staying power
    Complete compatibility
    The i80 works with all popular Windows and Mac operating systems.

13. What about us Linux users?

14. It will be interesting when we attack Iran to see how they fair against Iranian F14s. Having read somewhere that statistically Beyond Visual Range missiles have a huge failure rate I would be a little worries to be honest. I'll fish about for the data.