F-35: Positives and negatives?

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by aaronknox99, May 10, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. it seems that there is a lot of controversy about this particular aircraft, more and more problems are discovered with it almost every day, from it not being capable enough as a dog-fighter, to the lines of computer software not being implemented yet.

i was just wondering, if we do finally seal the deal with Lockheed Martin, and the F35's are fully operational.. how will it compare with the other aircraft in our (and our allies) arsenal? will it be the last manned fighter jet?

2. and again......
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

In my considered opinion it's better than the F34 but not as good as the F36.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

That said, the F36 not only has no software, it hasn't been invented yet.

The F33? See for yourself:

5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Yeah... HMS Puma was okay but HMS Whitby was the f*cking business!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Why are we picking on dogs?
  7. i know there are other threads on this topic but please, genuine answers if you can! xD

oh yeah, gotta love the F36!
  8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

All answers are genuine to the person who provide them. It's for you to decide whether you believe them or not...
  9. When I saw a Thread about F-35, I thought it was going to be something exciting about AVTUR without FSII. Imagine my disappointment.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. But could you run your F35 on F76?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. redmonkey

redmonkey Badgeman Book Reviewer

I'm trying, but I really am struggling to. I am extremely disappointed so you must be a hundred times worse. :confused:

Sent from my HTC Desire using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Aaron,

The responses are because this has been done to death.

The public detractors of the F-35 are almost exclusively those who are completely unqualified to speak on the subject. It's not about whether it can 'dogfight'. It's not about whether it can be seen by one particular Chinese VHF radar. It's about the entire package and how it fits into a myriad of other factors.

It is very difficult to have a sensible debate on an open forum regarding Air Power at the best of time. The nature of 5th Gen aircraft make it impossible due to the security assets. Suffice to say that those involved from both the RN and RAF have no doubt what F-35 brings and those that fly it are immensely enthusiastic.

From your perspective, be assured that 99% of what you read in the press is inaccurate, disingenuous or extremely simplistic.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Or just plain bollocks :)
  14. Thanks very much MM :)