Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by liverpooltom1, Oct 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all

I need glasses and when i had my eye test before my medical I was told my eyesight was put in type 2 and my AFCO told me my eyes were fine for the job I wanted, however when i went for my medical I was told by the doctor my eyes were not good enough for the requested job, so Im going for a second eye test as my AFCO thinks my eyes are fine for the job. Who has the last say over it the doctor or the AFCO ?

2. Technically, it is the doctor as he is qualified to make the decision. My AFCO have always told me that they are unable to answer any medical questions because they are not qualified to do so. So, unfortunately the doctor does have the final say (I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works).

Good luck.
  3. The Doctor has the say in all medical decisions.
  4. Thanks for the advise, but would the optician decide as they are more qualified than the doctor in the matter?
  5. When you said 'doctor', I thought you were referring to the optician, but yes, the optician does make the decision.
  6. Oh no even the optician does only the doc who dosent
  7. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Dey do do dat do dont dey do
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I didn't know you were a CIS Tiddly.
  9. Me dah dah did, diddly.
  10. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I'm not, but I've had a few runs ashore in Liverpool.

11. Put to music!!!!!

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Another vexed subject.

The AFCO Staff are neither qualified to advise on definitive medical matters, beyond the generic standard laid down in the AFCO Form 5 nor can they advise or decide your eyesight standard, even if you produce a prescription. (AFCO Form 5: http://c69011.r11.cf3.rackcdn.com/d2c35787b4314accb96b63ef74438f9c-0x0.pdf )

Interestingly, opticians (the supposed experts) frequently grade RN eyesight standards incorrectly from the prescription. They can, rather scarily, also get the prescription itself incorrect.

The AFCO Medical Examiner can challenge the grading and if there is any area for doubt, request a re-test. The obvious thing to do, if your eyesight is "borderline" is to go to a different optician if there is grounds for a re-test.
  13. So can RN 3 Ringer "Opticians"
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep. Not too long ago AFCO Medical Examiners used to conduct the eyesight test at the medical, but it's now been contracted-out (no noticeable improvement, just costs more & takes longer).

15. Yep! My eyesight is working perfectly!
  16. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Poor girl needs to get a job so that she can buy clothes that fit her, She'll be catching flu or something in the rig.
  17. Did your Doctor mean your colour perception or your visual acuity? The only 'eye test' I had at my medical was the Ishihara Test (the book with dotted numbers hidden amongst other dots).

Although it is frustrating at the moment be thankful; the last thing you want is to be disappointed much further down the line. I see from your previous posts you are going for Officer entry- if you are applying for Warfare or Aircrew and assuming you pass AIB you will have a third eyesight test (Holmes Wright Lantern) to ensure you are CP1, as the Ishihara Test only clears you as CP2. So whilst an AIB pass doesn't guarantee selection, selection doesn't guarantee entry to BRNC!

Good luck.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2012