Eyesight

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Zac1990, Jan 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well im going Hms raleigh on 8th May 2011. When i had my Eyetest done i met
    Standard VA2 The optician never said anything about glasses to me just gave me my eyesight fourm back. Im just wondering if i did need glasses would i be ssent home from Raleigh if i didnt have them or would i get issued a pair down their.
    Or would i be better of just getting a pair just to be safe dont realy want to spend £80 odd pound on a pair because moneys tight atm. But if it has to be done i will do.
    I can perfectly see with 1 eye its just my left eye what let me down because im a bit short sighted in it.
    Thankyou

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  2. As ever....your CA should be your first port of call for any concerns, however tthe very helpful Angry Doc might be around to answer your concerns at somepoint. If you also have a concern......could always get the eyes checked again and then ask Optician if he feels you need glasses :)

3. Thankyou i was planning on giving the opticians a call anyway sometime this week because they should still have my results. Because i re-took my eye test less than a month ago.

4. Should be able to get them to reprint the test results and maybe ask them there and then. Did mine last may and found my eyesightt had improved

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you know your eyesight has deteriorated, then you must inform your AFCO as different trades require differing standards & it's a condition of entry into Naval service that you must keep us informed of any changes in personal circumstances.

The good news is that only aircrew need to be VA1, however Warfare trades need to meet VA2. Prescription lenses are paid for by the service.

Best of luck.

6. Thankyou for the advice. My eyesight has stayed exactly the same from when i did my eye test in 2009 But they couldn't use the results what they got off that one because it was to old. And i had to take a knew one but nothing has changed :)

7. Ninja_Stoker

If you need glasses it would be unusual (although not impossible) to be graded VA1.

8. Just realised i made a mistake i was VA2

9. When i got my eyesight test i was L -0.50 and R -0.75 ( think thats within the VA1 limit) and i have glasses, though i dont wear them but i do see a difference when i put them on.

10. 1)stop masturbating
    2)Eat lots of carrots for night vision.
    3)Get some glasses you chimp!

11. Ninja_Stoker

Carlsberg don't do careers advice, but if they did, NZB is your man

One of the best ways to sort out the problem is to walk into the nearest shop to where you live. When the bloke asks what you want, just say in a loud voice:

"I need an eye test, madam"

Traditionally, the proprieter will respond: "You certainly do sir, this is a greengrocers". They usually then point you in the direction of an optician.

Be aware nowadays, it is considered good form to help yourself to a large plasma TV before exiting the shop and bidding him "Good day".

• Like Like x 2
  12. If you need glasses then your optician (as someone who makes money from selling glasses) will recommend them.

13. i wear glasses and got VA1 i was shocked!