Eyesight

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by BritishSte, Oct 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey everyone,

With regard to eyesight requirements, I am in a bit of an unusual situation and I was wondering if anyone could clarify my position on this:

I am short sighted in my right eye, but my left eye is fine. When both eyes are open, my eyesight is perfectly fine but I'm aware they test both eyes seperately. Also, my short sightedness in my right eye is correctable with glasses or contacts - but I never wear them because there really is no need, I tend not to walk round with only my right eye open.

Anyway - would I still be elligible to join. If they said I had to wear glasses I would be more than willing to.

Cheers

2. Well from all your other postings it would seem that you are a bit of a One Eye :oops:

3. As long as your not trying out for aircrew shouldn't matter unless its really bad. Here are the standards:

Standard I (VA1)
    Visual acuity to be achieved without correcting lenses Right 6/12N5, Left 6/12N5

Visual acuity to be achieved with correcting lenses Right 6/6N5, Left 6/6N5

Refraction limit:
    Total hypermetropia +3.00 sphere
    Astigmatism +1.25 cyl
    Myopia (in any meridian) -0.75 sphere or cyl +3.00 sphere

Standard 2 (VA2)

Visual acuity to be achieved without correcting lenses Right 6/60, Left <6/60.

Visual acuity to be achieved with correcting lenses Right 6/6N5, Left 6/9N5

Refraction limit
    Spectacle correction (in any meridian)
    +6.00 sphere sphere or cyl

Standard 3 (VA3)

Visual acuity to be achieved without correcting lenses Right 6/60, Left <6/60

Visual acuity to be achieved with correcting lenses EITHER Right 6/6N5, Left 6/24N10 OR Right 6/9N5, Left 6/18N10 OR Right 6/12N5, 6/12N10.

Refraction limit
    Spectacle correction (in any meridian)
    +/- 6.00 sphere or cyl

Below VA3, unacceptable for Naval service.

Courtesy of SuperMario

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

5. I'm in the same position, all be it with eyes the other way round, right eye is fine, left eye is short sighted and I passed the eye exam with no problems and wear glasses for stuff like driving, using a computer etc.

With regards to not wearing glasses/contacts I was always told by the opticians that by not correcting your vision you become dependent on the stronger eye and the weaker eye will continue to get weaker and weaker.

6. From your other posts it appears you want to go RFA.

The RFA use the MCA medical, the eyesight section of which is outlined here - MCGA Vision Info

It took me about 2 or 3 minutes to find that, if you want to get through the recruitment process you'll have to start doing a bit more for yourself and stop relying on this site every time you have a question

7. Thanks for the advice guys, appreciated.

Ok.

8. It didnt stop Nelson getting on :lol:

9. Well Hardy liked him a lot :p :oops:

10. What exactly is your problem with me?

11. Bearing in mind that they didn't mention you, I would think that your paranoia/self obsession may be a problem.

12. Seeing how it followed on from:

"Well from all your other postings it would seem that you are a bit of a One Eye"

It's a fair assumption.

Not too arsed to be honest, just seems odd.

13. or the delusion that he's Nelson

14. From your location Ste I would have thought you would have a rhino hide. Whatever you get give it back..

I had a mate who joined the TA he had a goggly eye and the other was always weeping. Last I heard he was in the air defence unit for the artillery firing blowpipes 8O not to be confused with blowthroughs :p . That was long ago the standards are for the TA have improved these days. I hope :roll:

15. Not forgeting Blind Pugh as well.

We also had a lad onboard called Isiah,thats because he had one eye higher than the other.Boom,boom :lol:

16. No problem at all, just a reply to Rods post. :p

However if you wish to take it personally I don't have a problem with that :p