eyesight

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Matt88, Nov 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does any one no the eyesight requirments I no in the army u can be correctable to -7 is it the same in the navy

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The standards are a little bit different to the 2001 version as the VA2 entry standard has been amended to reflect the VA2 "in service" standard. (My apologies for being a pedant, Lamri.)

In bite size chunks- Aircrew need to be VA1, Warfare trades VA2, most others VA3.

The newer standards are as follows:

Current Visual Acuity Standards

Standard I (VA1)
    Visual acuity to be achieved without correcting lenses Right 6/12N5, Left 6/12N5

Visual acuity to be achieved with correcting lenses Right 6/6N5, Left 6/6N5

Refraction limit:
    Total hypermetropia +3.00 sphere
    Astigmatism +1.25 cyl
    Myopia (in any meridian) -0.75 sphere or cyl +3.00 sphere

Standard 2 (VA2)

Visual acuity to be achieved without correcting lenses Right 6/60, Left <6/60.

Visual acuity to be achieved with correcting lenses Right 6/6N5, Left 6/9N5

Refraction limit
    Spectacle correction (in any meridian)
    +6.00 sphere sphere or cyl

Standard 3 (VA3)

Visual acuity to be achieved without correcting lenses Right 6/60, Left <6/60

Visual acuity to be achieved with correcting lenses EITHER Right 6/6N5, Left 6/24N10 OR Right 6/9N5, Left 6/18N10 OR Right 6/12N5, 6/12N10.

Refraction limit
    Spectacle correction (in any meridian)
    +/- 6.00 sphere or cyl

Below VA3, unacceptable for Naval service.

[align=right]Optician Report (CHG31 dated 04/01/2008)[/align]

Edited to reflect ammended VA2 standards incorporated 18 July 08

3. Hi all I've just returned from the opticians and he said I've achieved Standard 2 (VA2), will this standerd be OK for weapons engineering??

4. ..try reading the post above yours.

5. are the standards written in blood? or is case by case basis? i got 6/9 right eye and 6/24 left uncorrected, but 6/4 and 6/12 corrected and i am interested in becoming a warfare officer

6. are the standards written in blood? or is case by case basis? i got 6/9 right eye and 6/24 left uncorrected, but 6/4 right and 6/12 left corrected and i am interested in becoming a warfare officer

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You've got double vision, by the look of it... :shock:

8. is tht a good or bad thing? lol

9. sgtpepperband

Clearly a bad thing, if you can't find the "Search" option, which will no doubt help you find the information that will answer your question...

10. mate i joined like a second before i posted the question, i didnt no wat i could do on this website

11. sgtpepperband

Well you clearly did, because you managed to locate and post on a thread that had last been commented on 12 months' ago... :?

12. no i went through every page of the health and fitness section of the forum and found this one.

im here to see if anyone could answer me or give me sum advice, as i thought tht was the point of this forum, make all the sarky comments you want, dont bother me

13. sgtpepperband

14. i found the search button after your comment, thanks anyway :wink:

15. This is the test :roll http://usera.ImageCave.com/scouse/kmc086(1).jpg