theGimpMK2 said:Laser therapy is dodgy ground,
There is plenty of info on a thread on arrse.
I joined up blind as a bat!! wore my contact lenses through the medical blagged it and had no problems through out my career other than one mud run which ended up being a bit painful!!
I cannot say whether the rules have changed in the last 4 years but until then having any sort of laser surgery was a ban to joining the RN or the RM because not enough was known about the long term affect of the treatment. I would ask at your local AFCO and get the answer from the Final Examining Medical Officer.
chris78290 said:I'm sure you have to be S1 or S2 for Royal, I was S3 and was told I didn't qualify. I had laser eye surgery in May of last year and i'm waiting until May this year to get a navy eye check down in Gosport before I can even begin the application process properly.
As far as laser surgery goes, this is how it works:
- The types of surgery which are acceptable are PRK LASEC and LASIK
- AK, RK and any others are NOT ACCEPTED!
- There is currently a dispute about whether to remove LASIK from the accepted list, so i'd stear clear of it.
- HOWEVER, in order to qualify for surgery your eyes must have been stable for 2 years also, the Navy have pre-surgery limits which you must be within before the surgery, they will ask for proof, you cannot blag it.
- After surgery, you must wait 12 months before starting the application process, going for a check up with a Navy Optician at the end of this period to get the all clear.
- NOTE you cannot go pilot, observer or Special Forces at any point in your career if you enter service having had laser surgery.
If anyone has any more questions feel free to ask or pm me
blind_marine said:I went for an eye test at the normal optician the other day and told her the eyesight requirements to go Royal Marines.
I'm 2-3 lines off even with glasses/contact lenses so as far as the Marine rules go i'm not allowed in.
What would anybody here suggest I do? This has been my plan for the past 2 years, I have dreamed of being in the Military and have been working on getting ready for my PRMC for months now and it has all been shattered.
Is there nothing I can do in the Marines? Not even a chef? That's what I do now career wise. I can't believe this is happening, I have always had weak eyes but I am no way blind and can see plenty far enough to shoot.
Help!!! Pllease! Suggestions?