Eyesight requirements for the RN....

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Cheesy_peas_please, Apr 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a few questions regarding eye sight standards required within the Royal Navy.

Could anybody provide a link to a page or document which details the criteria for VA1, VA2 and VA3 eye standards? I think my eyes are roughly -3.00 in both eyes.

I'm currently in the pipeline for CT. Being part of the warfare branch, is the eye sight requirement VA2 for this specific role? I was told by my CA that I meet the requirements but was wondering what would happen if after joining, my eyesight deteriorated slightly and I no longer met the required standard?

Lastly, a question regarding laser eye surgery which may sound boneheaded so apologies. I understand the RN do allow certain forms of corrective eye surgery such as LASEK and you need a thorough check-up post op and be 12 months clear but what is the RN stance on laser eye surgery for people who are currently serving? I'm guessing that's a no-go but just curious all the same as I've been unable to find an answer regarding this.
  2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Dodgy eyes didn't hinder Nelson, anyways a bit of the old blurred eyes helps when knobbing wrens, contrary to popular belief they're not all essence.

Use your eyes. Try doing a search for eye sight requirements, I'm sure angry doc has given more advice than he'd care to remember about it.