Eyesight requirements and waivers

NeoKuro

Midshipman
I'm sure similar things have been asked, I've seen plenty of threads on similar subjects.

But how strict do they adhere to eyesight checks.

I'm currently in the situation (29) where my prescription rides the line of what they'd accept in one eye, -6.0 sph, other eye is fine.

But I need to spend a year doing an extra ALevel. In that time my eyesight will likely change even the tiniest bit and put me beyond the threshold.

My optician said one eye (better eye) has stabilized but my worse eye is still very slightly changing (but not by much).

If I do go beyond the threshold is there any chance I could appeal or ask for a waiver? I don't see my eyesight being worse than 10% of the limit, very very close if not still on the limit. If I got statements from GP or opticians ready for an appeal could it work?

I worry I left it too late to join and now my eyesight will be too bad. I'll regret it for the rest of my life if my eyesight bars me and if I'm so close to the limit too.

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
The question of how strict has the answer - to check the capability of the individual to meet the stated requirements and to exclude the aspects that could disqualify them.

Drakey

War Hero
@NeoKuro There is no such thing as a waiver for the medical standards. You can appeal against a diagnosis or result. The medical standards are non-negotiable.

NeoKuro

Midshipman
@NeoKuro There is no such thing as a waiver for the medical standards. You can appeal against a diagnosis or result. The medical standards are non-negotiable.
So it sounds like if I fail I fail that's it.

Only option would be to redo the test and hope to pass the second time?

Chris P

War Hero
Unless the extra A level is a requirement for your entry why not move forward with your application and complete the Alevel if and when you get in down the track, you'll never know if you don't give it a go - as has been said many times before.

NeoKuro

Midshipman
Unless the extra A level is a requirement for your entry why not move forward with your application and complete the Alevel if and when you get in down the track, you'll never know if you don't give it a go - as has been said many times before.
Sadly it is a requirement. Want to go down the warfare officer (submarine) path and going down the enlisted route isn't an option either atm, me and my recruitment officer already discussed that