Eyesight question again

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by djmattyg, May 8, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there,

I've been contemplating applying for the Navy, however I wear glasses. I have done a lot of research on eyesight and the Navy and come up with a lot of results, so I thought I would take the plunge and apply.

I went for the test's at the local AFCO centre, I originally applied for the Fleet Air Arm as an aircraft handler, this is due to my age, I'm 33.

Just before the test I was asked what would be my second choice career, thus being an Aircraft Technician. I went in for the test and was advised when I came out that I had achieved a very high score and could in fact apply for the Aircraft Engineer role, much to my suprise, I thought I was too old.

However, as I have already stated I wear glasses. This is my down fall.

I have gone away and had my eyesight tested and then took the results back to the AFCO, on this trip, which was the same day as my test's, I was advised that my eye sight was not good enough.

The results that I have been given are below.

Sphere
    Right +8.75
    Left +7.00

Cylinder
    Right -3.00
    Left -3.25

Axis
    Right 95
    Left 65

Distance Acuity
    Right 6/12
    Left 6/4.5

The VA3 needed on the sheet is as follows:

Visual acuity to be achieved without correcting lenses Right 6/60, Left <6/60

Visual acuity to be achieved with correcting lenses EITHER Right 6/6N5, Left 6/24N10 OR Right 6/9N5, Left 6/18N10 OR Right 6/12N5, 6/12N10.

Refraction limit
    Spectacle correction (in any meridian)
    +/- 6.00 sphere or cyl

Now, apart from the Sphere I am in the required limits, on the bottom of the sheet I was ticked to be not suitable by the optitian due to being outside the boundaries. However, she did state and write on the bottom of the test that if she wrote it in another way (another way that the optitians can write the results) then I would be in the boundaries. She was trying to be helpful in helping me to gain entry into the Navy.

Now my question is would I be able to appeal against the decision made for me being not suitable or is it a complete bar on entry?

Sorry for the long post.

Regards

Matt

2. I'll bump this for you to get it back to the top - hopefully catch the attention of someone who can help :)

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Several angles.

Firstly, even opticians sometimes grade eye tests incorrectly, so unless a poster on here is a qualified optician, ignore any punts at guessing the correct grade. Suffice to say, your uncorrected and corrected vision must both meet the standard for the relevant grading.

Best bet? Pay for an independent eye test from a different opticians - if it is graded different, you maybe have grounds to appeal. If it is graded the same, you have no chance of a successful appeal.

Don't, under any circumstances waste your time or anybody else's by submitting an appeal without supporting, qualified evidence.

Best o'luck.

4. Hopefully this will help, I'm a dispenser not an optician but it's an issue we sometimes see, and managed to get entangled in myself.

There is two ways of writing the results of eye tests with astigmatism, positive and negative cylinder. Traditionally they were written with positive cylinder, due to how measurements could be taken. Current convention is for negative cylinder.

The way the cylinder is written impacts on the appeared strength of the sphere part of your prescription. However any visual correction is the same, how it is written is merely different. And you can interconvert between the two easily.

I don't know if the Navy require you to write a prescription in any specific way, but the +ve/-ve aspect of the cylinder and the appearance of the sphere part don't actually impact on acuity standard of your vision.

My concern would be that writing it in a way that lowers the sphere reading would make your eyesight artificially appear to be of the required standard.