Eyesight query...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by samo_15, Apr 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First off hello to all...Just joined this forum after considering trying out for the RM in the last few months...however I am particularly worried about my eyesight being a factor that holds me back!

I have read the conditions needed for joining but my latest eye test results are at home and I won;t be able to see them for a few months.

Basically I wear contact lenses or glasses at all times in both eyes. My right eye at a power of +4.75 and my left eye at +6.00. My left eye is particularly weak and even with glasses or contacts I have difficulty reading any letters at all, however my right eye is pretty good! I was wondering if the eye test was done on overall sight using both eyes or testing each eye individually??

I'd really appreciate any help at all!

Cheers, lads.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hiya Samo, welcome.

You need to be equal to or better than Visual Acuity standard 3, below:

Standard 3 (VA3)

Visual acuity to be achieved without correcting lenses Right 6/60, Left <6/60

Visual acuity to be achieved with correcting lenses EITHER Right 6/6N5, Left 6/24N10 OR Right 6/9N5, Left 6/18N10 OR Right 6/12N5, 6/12N10.

Refraction limit
    Spectacle correction (in any meridian)
    +/- 6.00 sphere or cyl

Below VA3, unacceptable for RM or RN service.

3. Hey thanks for such a swift reply! I have seen that, unfortunately I don't understand the Visual Acuity bit, and don't know my own levels! Guess I'll just have to wait for my next eye test! Thanks again for the reply.

Damn my eyesight...I really believe I have what it takes to do this just hope I'm not hampered by something I can't control!

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, unfortunately it's a bit difficult to advise whether you'll meet the specified eyesight standards if you do not know what your prescription is.

Best of luck.