Eyesight issue

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by jackdaniels, Jun 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi couldnt find answer in other posts

Passed my medical today then was told my eyesight in my right eye wasnt good enough for CIS without my contacts

My left eye is worse than my right eye could the optician have made a mistake there or is that possible?

Do you not get to apply for something else as i was told i could only go for a shortage branch just now and the marines was only thing i could apply for?

2. Welcome to the site.

I'd check with your AFCO, but I'd go to a different optician first for a second opinion.

Our resident doc will be along soon as will our 2 recruiters. I can't see how dodgy eyes would exclude you from other branches though. Are you sure he said only Marines? There's not too many myopic booties out there, not good for markmanship, even with a SUSAT sight.

3. ...not to mention reading the music.

4. Good point, unless your manning the triangle or vuvuzela.

5. he said because of the waiting lists just now and i should call back in a year to see if theyv changed, i thought eyesight would be more important for the marines

6. That's what we were getting at. Seems odd to me.

7. Get a second opinion from another optician. I got told my hearing was duff by the AFCO doc, got a second opinion from a private doc who said the way it had been tested was flawed and my hearing was fine!

8. So you'll become a horny yeller seller

9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Its quite important to the starboard lookout as well :wink:

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Your uncorrected vision must meet Visual acuity standard 2 (VA2) for warfare trades (CIS being one of them). The reason for the standard being more stringent in the right eye is all to do with the SA80 A2 gun thingy because the cartridge ejection port prevents it being fired using anything other than the starboard Mark I eyeball..

Those scoring high enough for CIS with visual acuity below VA2 usually have few non-warfare branch options unless their maths & mechanical comprehension scores are high. Basically it's usually a toss-up between re-sitting the test or considering what options are available. Those who do not consider Royal Marine as a first choice are highly unlikely to lack the physical motivation required, those low in maths aren't going to be much use as a Steward which tends to leave Naval Airman, Aircraft Handler as a consideration, but with a 3 year wait, the quicker option is to re-sit the recruiting test and increase the range of available trades with lower eyesight parameters.

11. Why's that N_S? Serious question, not an anti-steward dig.

12. Not to keep tabs on the number of times a day they are disrespected by everyone in the armed forces?

13. Of course. Should've realised.

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Presumably it's to do with the accounting aspect of the logistics trades - all logisticans need to score over and above the basic pass mark in numeracy accepted in some other trades.

Even though we use Excel spreadsheets etc., bar work involves physical stock checks, etc.

The Branch Managers set the scores for each trade based on the phase two trade training elements.

That said, the Aircraft Controller branch manager must be on illegal substances since it became a direct entry trade as they just seemed to pluck random scores & qualifications out of the ionosphere rather than look at pass/fail rates based on individual Recruiting Test scores - like everyone else has done since about 1943.