Eyesight Again

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by djmattyg, Aug 31, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I am thinking about joining up with the Navy and have been for a long time now. I am 31 years old now and yes, have a good stable job but don't want to be stuck in this forever and a career in the Armed Forces has always appealed to me (relatives are ex-military).

Anyway, I know how many times eyesight has been covered already but am a little unsure on where I will stand.

I have looked at a few threads on here and have seen a great post from Ninja_Stoker regarding eyesight and general notes on medical requirements.

In this article, it states the following paragraph:-

"Visual standards: The minimum standards for both uncorrected and corrected visual acuity on recruitment are determined by single-Service authorities and are dependent upon the proposed employment and trade group. Spectacle or contact lens correction must not be greater than -7 dioptres or +8 dioptres in any meridian. Impaired colour perception (colour blindness) is not a bar to service but may limit career choices."

Underneath it states:-
    "Standard 3 (VA3)

Visual acuity to be achieved without correcting lenses Right 6/60, Left <6/60

Visual acuity to be achieved with correcting lenses EITHER Right 6/6N5, Left 6/24N10 OR Right 6/9N5, Left 6/18N10 OR Right 6/12N5, 6/12N10.

Refraction limit
    Spectacle correction (in any meridian)
    +/- 6.00 sphere or cyl"

Now, I am little confused regarding this. My prescription states I am +8 in right eye and +7 in left eye, this relates to the sphere.

If I reading the requirments correctly, I am on the limit to the requirments ("Spectacle or contact lens correction must not be greater than -7 dioptres or +8 dioptres in any meridian.")

However, if I am reading the VA3 correctly, I am not up to standard ("Spectacle correction (in any meridian)
    +/- 6.00 sphere or cyl")

Could someone please point me in the right direction with this if possible and I apologise in advance for the long posts, I don't want to apply for something and have my heart set on this career and then too be told NO, I would rather know from the start if thats possible.

Thanks and I look forward to any help that you can provide.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The Naval Service accepts no less than +/- 6.00 in any meridian unfortunately.

In the days when the application & guidance form was tri-service (not just RN) the wider parameters were published. You'd need to chat with the other services to be sure what standards they now apply.

Good luck.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. hi, if I have -6.00 in one eye and -5.50 in the other does this make me acceptable for entry? Sorry the standards really really confuse me!
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator