EYE TEST

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by nj375, Aug 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am considering joining (as an officer) I have a masters degree, a levels etc. Have played sport at a national level and am 25... I have one problem ...my eyesight. I am blind in my left eye and wear a contact lense in the right. As it is blind from birth it doesn't affect me in everyday life in the slightest and no one ever knows I am blind in one eye until I tell them. Is there any chance I could join with this problem?

Look forward to hearing from you.
    NJ

2. Although Lord Nelson and Long John Silver, didn`t join up with the problem, they did rather well, don`t you think? :w00t:

3. Hi NJ,

I'm sorry to tell you that if you are blind in one eye they will not pass you at the medical stage of the selection into the RN.

Below I have copied the medical eligibility from the RN page I know it doesn't mention your condition, but having worked in recruiting for over 6 years, i know you will not get in.

Health
    If you are a habitual user of illegal substances, you will not be eligible to apply. Random compulsory drugs testing is practised in the Armed Forces The Armed Forces require anyone who joins to be medically fit to serve worldwide. New entrants to the Armed Forces undergo intensive training which is physically demanding and mentally taxing. New entrants must be of a robust constitution and free from disease or pre-existing injury to meet this challenge. If you do decide to apply and your application is accepted, you will be required to pass a full medical examination. Your application will be rejected if you fail to meet the minimum acceptable medical standard for entry. Before a Medical Officer examines you, you are asked to declare certain information about your medical history to identify obvious medical conditions for which rejection is automatic. Please note that your application will be rejected if:
    You suffer from Epilepsy
    You suffer from Diabetes
    You suffer or have suffered from Asthma in the past four years
    You suffer from Colitis, Crohns Disease, or any other long standing bowel disorder or have had your spleen removed
    You have ever had a detached retina or corneal transplant
    You suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis, or any other bone or joint disorders

The above list is not exhaustive and you may find that your application is rejected due to other medical conditions, not listed, but which are subject to the discretion of the examining doctor or Service Medical Authorities.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings

Neil - Supermario

:nemo:

4. Many thanks.... I guess that's me done! It makes sense I suppose... though I'm sure there is plenty I could do! Anyhow, thanks for the info.

NJ