Eye Test Appeal

Hello all,

I had my medical call on Wednesday and the nurse said I was fine for everything but the eyes' test. I did the test at boots and the optician said I met the second standard on the paper and perfectly satisfied the criteria with my contact lenses. I didn't know why I failed. The position I am applying is general rating. Does anyone know how long for the appeal process?

Thanks,
Nathan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Sorry to hear of your circumstances.

Both your corrected and uncorrected eyesight prescription must fall within the prameters for visual acuity standard three (VA3). If one or other doesn't fall within those boundaries then unfortunately an appeal would only be valid if an independent eyetest showed categorically that both the uncorrected and corrected standard are met.

Generally VA1 or VA2 applies to Warfare branches (plus AET) and it could well be that your prescription is not valid for those eyesight categories but you could feasibly be eligible for the less stringent eyesight branches such as Logistics and Marine or Weapons Engineering.

The tip? speak to your careers adviser first.

My son was told last week that his eye sight didn't meet the standards. I am confused about these standards and what it all means even though I've read all the threads and the MoD papers on it. The AFCO is on holiday for 3 weeks and we are at a loss as to what next. Phoned Moorfields Eye hospital and they have confirmed he has to be 21 years old for laser eye surgery and apply again at 22. His distance acuity is 6.6 in both eyes and N6 for near acuity. I think he needs to be N5 - would the laser work for him? Thanks in advance

soleil

War Hero
My son was told last week that his eye sight didn't meet the standards. I am confused about these standards and what it all means even though I've read all the threads and the MoD papers on it. The AFCO is on holiday for 3 weeks and we are at a loss as to what next. Phoned Moorfields Eye hospital and they have confirmed he has to be 21 years old for laser eye surgery and apply again at 22. His distance acuity is 6.6 in both eyes and N6 for near acuity. I think he needs to be N5 - would the laser work for him? Thanks in advance
Whitehorse

I wouldn't make enquiries about laser treatment at this point; there are regulations which govern laser treatment and entry to the Royal Navy and you need to know what they are and how they would apply to your son.

My advice as to what to do next is to wait until the CA returns from holiday. To be honest, a wait of three weeks isn't really that long.

Is it the case that his eyesight is below the standard for any role in the RN or is it the case that it didn't meet the standard for his particular role?

We will speak to AFCO on his return. Son is also away atm. There’s lots of info on here and it’s confusing. I’ve printed stuff off for my son to see on his return. It’s RM he applied for - hope his dreams aren’t completely shattered. Just a mum who is going through his pain too. Thanks

soleil

War Hero
We will speak to AFCO on his return. Son is also away atm. There’s lots of info on here and it’s confusing. I’ve printed stuff off for my son to see on his return. It’s RM he applied for - hope his dreams aren’t completely shattered. Just a mum who is going through his pain too. Thanks
Ah, if he is joining as a Royal Marine, there is a special forum for that. Some of the people posting on there at the moment recruit for the Royal Marines and deal with things like eyesight tests on a daily basis.

Would you like the link?

soleil

War Hero

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Eye sight test - AET Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
C Failed recruitment eye test Joining the Royal Navy 1
J Eye Test results in hard copy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
R Failed eye test for rn RFA 6
B Eye test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Q Failed eye test - what to do next? Joining the Royal Navy 7
B Eye test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
J Do I need to redo my boots eye test? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
J Boots eye test Joining the Royal Navy 3
OsmiumOxide Eye test Joining the Royal Navy 7
K Eye Test Joining the Royal Navy 21
H Is there another eye test at the medical? Health & Fitness 2
R Failed Royal Navy Eye Test | CIS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
K Eye test results Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
M navy eye test at boots Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
3 Medical questionnaire/eye test form Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
SquidlyDiddly Went for eye test today, feeling pretty gutted. Health & Fitness 6
C Eye Test (Merged Threads) The Fleet Air Arm 118
J Medical - eye test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
2 can you retake the eye test? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
sgtpepperband Management Eye Test Miscellaneous 0
R just passed PT and eye test sep 2nd for medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
A Eye test Miscellaneous 0
G Raleigh eye test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
G eye test? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
P Eye Test for wannabe Pilot Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S RN eye test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
JaFAA Eye test results Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
M i passed my eye test and interview today Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
B security check and eye test forms Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
B eye test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
K Yay, passed my tests!.. but dreading the eye test. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
R eye sight test The Corps 2
N EYE TEST Health & Fitness 3
AledJ Eye test form Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
J Eye test The Internet - Best and Worst 0
Chicogiz Eye test and medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
S Visual acuity standards re. laser eye surgery Joining the Royal Navy 8
MoD_RSS Diabetic eye screening: invitation and result letter templates MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bird's eye view of Cheshire's £43 million M6 junction improvement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Highways England keeping a watchful eye on motorway upgrade MoD News 0
vauxhall Keeping an eye on your pension! Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS Isathal 10 mg/g eye drops, suspension for dogs, cats and rabbits - product defect recall alert MoD News 0
M Joining the RNR with dry eye? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 10
MoD_RSS Press release: All British ‘eye in the sky’ to tackle oil spills, illegal shipping and deforestation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Keep an eye out for floating pennywort this winter MoD News 0
Edward-t Question about eye surgery Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
D RIP 'Squarebasher' of Private Eye Current Affairs 0
J Help - eye sight forms Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
G Will my eye condition effect my application? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34