Eye Test Appeal

Hello all,

I had my medical call on Wednesday and the nurse said I was fine for everything but the eyes' test. I did the test at boots and the optician said I met the second standard on the paper and perfectly satisfied the criteria with my contact lenses. I didn't know why I failed. The position I am applying is general rating. Does anyone know how long for the appeal process?

Thanks,
Nathan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Sorry to hear of your circumstances.

Both your corrected and uncorrected eyesight prescription must fall within the prameters for visual acuity standard three (VA3). If one or other doesn't fall within those boundaries then unfortunately an appeal would only be valid if an independent eyetest showed categorically that both the uncorrected and corrected standard are met.

Generally VA1 or VA2 applies to Warfare branches (plus AET) and it could well be that your prescription is not valid for those eyesight categories but you could feasibly be eligible for the less stringent eyesight branches such as Logistics and Marine or Weapons Engineering.

The tip? speak to your careers adviser first.

My son was told last week that his eye sight didn't meet the standards. I am confused about these standards and what it all means even though I've read all the threads and the MoD papers on it. The AFCO is on holiday for 3 weeks and we are at a loss as to what next. Phoned Moorfields Eye hospital and they have confirmed he has to be 21 years old for laser eye surgery and apply again at 22. His distance acuity is 6.6 in both eyes and N6 for near acuity. I think he needs to be N5 - would the laser work for him? Thanks in advance

soleil

War Hero
My son was told last week that his eye sight didn't meet the standards. I am confused about these standards and what it all means even though I've read all the threads and the MoD papers on it. The AFCO is on holiday for 3 weeks and we are at a loss as to what next. Phoned Moorfields Eye hospital and they have confirmed he has to be 21 years old for laser eye surgery and apply again at 22. His distance acuity is 6.6 in both eyes and N6 for near acuity. I think he needs to be N5 - would the laser work for him? Thanks in advance

Whitehorse

I wouldn't make enquiries about laser treatment at this point; there are regulations which govern laser treatment and entry to the Royal Navy and you need to know what they are and how they would apply to your son.

My advice as to what to do next is to wait until the CA returns from holiday. To be honest, a wait of three weeks isn't really that long.

Is it the case that his eyesight is below the standard for any role in the RN or is it the case that it didn't meet the standard for his particular role?

We will speak to AFCO on his return. Son is also away atm. There’s lots of info on here and it’s confusing. I’ve printed stuff off for my son to see on his return. It’s RM he applied for - hope his dreams aren’t completely shattered. Just a mum who is going through his pain too. Thanks

soleil

War Hero
We will speak to AFCO on his return. Son is also away atm. There’s lots of info on here and it’s confusing. I’ve printed stuff off for my son to see on his return. It’s RM he applied for - hope his dreams aren’t completely shattered. Just a mum who is going through his pain too. Thanks

Ah, if he is joining as a Royal Marine, there is a special forum for that. Some of the people posting on there at the moment recruit for the Royal Marines and deal with things like eyesight tests on a daily basis.

Would you like the link?

soleil

War Hero

Latest Threads