Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Express: "HMS Daring Ruler Of The Waves"

WhizzbangDai said:
Normong_Gruntham said:
An article full of hyperbole and falsehoods. This ships missiles don't actually work and it has nothing but a 4.5 gun to threaten other vessels with.

Plus it's recently been revealed that the reason the Sea Viper failed was a bad batch of missiles, nothing to do with the T45 and it's systems. So wrong again.

You appear to have some issues with reading comprehension. Did I not state the missiles did not work?
 

WhizzbangDai

War Hero
Normong_Gruntham said:
WhizzbangDai said:
Normong_Gruntham said:
An article full of hyperbole and falsehoods. This ships missiles don't actually work and it has nothing but a 4.5 gun to threaten other vessels with.

Plus it's recently been revealed that the reason the Sea Viper failed was a bad batch of missiles, nothing to do with the T45 and it's systems. So wrong again.

You appear to have some issues with reading comprehension. Did I not state the missiles did not work?

It's not the warhead, it is how many fires it starts and Sea Viper will be carrying more fuel when that warhead his. The kinetic effect of the faster missile also helps.

I have reading issues actually, but not in this case - your comment basically claimed every sea viper wont work. Not the specific load of the tests that day.
 

ex-GI

Midshipman
A shade under 30 years for a new class of ship built having learnt the lessons from the Falklands!!!!!!!!!!! Someone needs to learn about project management as well!
 
WhizzbangDai said:
Normong_Gruntham said:
WhizzbangDai said:
Normong_Gruntham said:
An article full of hyperbole and falsehoods. This ships missiles don't actually work and it has nothing but a 4.5 gun to threaten other vessels with.

Plus it's recently been revealed that the reason the Sea Viper failed was a bad batch of missiles, nothing to do with the T45 and it's systems. So wrong again.

You appear to have some issues with reading comprehension. Did I not state the missiles did not work?

It's not the warhead, it is how many fires it starts and Sea Viper will be carrying more fuel when that warhead his. The kinetic effect of the faster missile also helps.

I have reading issues actually, but not in this case - your comment basically claimed every sea viper wont work. Not the specific load of the tests that day.

Sea Viper, (silly name, ASTER was a perfectly good moniker),is not going to be carrying much in the way of fuel. It's a rather small missile, smaller in the size and body diameter than Sea Wolf, and that missile was never considered as an anti surface weapon. ASTER might annoy another ship, but it has neither the kinetic energy or fire starting potential to cause significant damage to a warship.
 
ex-GI said:
A shade under 30 years for a new class of ship built having learnt the lessons from the Falklands!!!!!!!!!!! Someone needs to learn about project management as well!

Despite having been designed with the lessons of the Falklands, it has a much smaller silo capacity than comparable vessels. 48 cells vs 90 cells on an Arleigh Burke Class Destroyer. It also lacks a CIWS and still retains the somewhat unimpressive 4.5" gun.

We have designed a pekinese and called it Brutus.
 

WhizzbangDai

War Hero
Normong_Gruntham said:
ex-GI said:
A shade under 30 years for a new class of ship built having learnt the lessons from the Falklands!!!!!!!!!!! Someone needs to learn about project management as well!

Despite having been designed with the lessons of the Falklands, it has a much smaller silo capacity than comparable vessels. 48 cells vs 90 cells on an Arleigh Burke Class Destroyer. It also lacks a CIWS and still retains the somewhat unimpressive 4.5" gun.

We have designed a pekinese and called it Brutus.

If it needed a CIWS urgently it would get one, same with Harpoon. As it is, it doesn't so we won't waste limited current funds. You are really beginning to irritate as well, with grand sweepin statements. As a destroyer, it is a more effective vessel than the Arleigh Burke Class. Stealthier, and far more capable in the tracking fields as well as more able to deal with missile threats, apart from ICBM (yet).

No doubt, if given the same number of years as the Burke's have had to grow and develop it will have matured into a full spectrum capable combatant it promises to be.



Thank god we have real professionals in place at MoD rather than a failed MCD Lt with a chip on his shoulder. Now go away.
 

sootblower

Lantern Swinger
All very well having great missile systems etc. but you have got to get them to sea first. Not much good having a propulsion system that fails when the ship manoeuvres, plunging everyone into darkness. Fire hydrants locked off in machinery spaces to prevent some numpty squirting water on high voltage equipment. How long before we lose the first ship to a gash bag fire......
 

IS-Potential

Lantern Swinger
lesbryan said:
IS-Potential said:
I still think we could do with a few more than 6....6 ships...6 places...if one or more are not in refit that is. Perhaps our new coalition government could look at that? (Yes and pigs might fly)
There was originaly going to be twelve wernt there ?

I think so, though someone mentioned 14. 6 is a heck of cut to numbers, even given their vastly increased capacity.
Uneducated guess here, but say potentially 2 in refit / maintenance periods at one time, that leaves 4 destroyers total. Could potentially even be less available due to breakdowns or work ups. Better hope none get sunk or run aground....

Shame the country is broke...otherwise if our new govt were to open the cheque book and perhaps order another 2 or (pigs flying high here) another 6 to return the figure to the original 12, it would reduce the unit cost a lot and show they are committed to a strong RN.

You would have though BAE would have perhaps tried to market the hull design with a potentially different sensor fit to increase their profit margins? (or was that part of the contract, only build them for UK PLC?)

We are a ship building nation, its sad that our capabilities have been run into the ground to the extent that we have only BAE able to build military ships now.

Though it seems the T26 might be aimed at the export market, which if it was sold successfully to other nations would assure about 10K - 20K jobs over a number of years along with a lot more jobs indirectly protected (those supported by other people being in work - retail, tradespeople etc) Plus fly the flag for British workers and British design quite visibly.

I know I felt pride in being British seeing the video of the launch of Daring, reminds me of Britain's previous engineering feats by people such as Brunel, Stevenson etc
 

IS-Potential

Lantern Swinger
sootblower said:
All very well having great missile systems etc. but you have got to get them to sea first. Not much good having a propulsion system that fails when the ship manoeuvres, plunging everyone into darkness. Fire hydrants locked off in machinery spaces to prevent some numpty squirting water on high voltage equipment. How long before we lose the first ship to a gash bag fire......

So what do they use for fire suppression then in said machinery spaces if no access to hydrants? (honest question not a bite)

Dry powder? CO2 extingushers? Halon?
 
When I were a lad, Aster (not to be confused with Astra) was a make of firework; bought in October, ready for November. Maybe we could call the missile Brock or Standard.
 
Once the type 45s bed in they'll be the best ship around. Not just because of their excellent design, but because of the quality of RN training and the quality of the intake. The Royal Navy have to make very tough decisions on budgets, and I'm very proud that despite everything we've got a ship thats good enough to draw such attention from our American cousins.
 

scouse

War Hero
The two Sikorsky S H 60 Embarked sway it for me IMHO!! Armament: Usually two 7.62mm machine guns mounted in the windows; can also be equipped with AGM-114 Hellfire or AGM-119 Penguin missiles, three Mk46 or Mk 50 torpedoes or additional .50-caliber machine guns mounted in the doors
:wink:
 

dublinclontarf

Badgeman
lsadirty said:
Always with the positive waves, eh Normung ?

Yeah, because positive waves are all that ships got to attack with :lol:

Never mining the digs, I do like the T45, it's a very pretty design as far as warships go. I can't say I like the price though, but if they work then it's worth it.

6 is fine if they're to be used mostly as escorts for our carriers (should they ever arrive) and an amphibious assualt task force. None to spread around.

Better or not than the Burkes? I don't know, guess we'll find out when we put them to use won't we.
 

flymo

War Hero
scouse said:
The two Sikorsky S H 60 Embarked sway it for me IMHO!! Armament: Usually two 7.62mm machine guns mounted in the windows; can also be equipped with AGM-114 Hellfire or AGM-119 Penguin missiles, three Mk46 or Mk 50 torpedoes or additional .50-caliber machine guns mounted in the doors
:wink:

Still can't do laps around the upper scupper though :)
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Express: "Sail From HMS Victory That Flew At Battle Of Trafalgar Is Tipped To Sell For £3,000" History 0
soleil Express: "HMS Vanguard: Experts Recommend To Extend The Exclusion Zone Around WWI Shipwreck" History 2
soleil Express and Star: "HMS Duncan Enters Service Early" The Fleet 12
soleil Aberdeen Evening Express: "Video: New Warship HMS Diamond Visits Aberdeen" The Fleet 1
soleil Express: "Submarine Sparks Panic In Scotland As Onlookers Mistake Royal Navy Exercise For Fire" Submariners 2
MoD_RSS Last chance to express interest for rural business growth grants MoD News 0
soleil Express: "Historic Flight Team Faces Chop Over MoD Funding" The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil Express: "Royal Marines Cuts U-Turn: 1,500 Troops And Assault Vessels Saved" The Corps 9
soleil Herald Express: "Dartmouth BRNC Officers Brave The Rain" Bases / Shore Est 33
soleil Herald Express: "Pupils Given Chance To Go Behind The Scenes At Dartmouth" Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil Herald Express: "Final Parade Of The Year At Britannia Royal Naval College" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Express: "Defence Cuts Imperil Our Proud Nation, Warns Top Admiral" Current Affairs 2
soleil Yeovil Express: Yeovilton Celebrates 20 Years Of Links With 'St Bart's' Church" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Express: "DISGRACE: War Hero Banned From Veteran's Parade For Being 'Too Old'" Charity 36
soleil Herald Express: "Gorilla Sets Sail On Navy Patrol Ship" The Fleet 4
soleil Express: "Marching On Their Stomachs: The British Armed Forces And Their Grub" Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil Express: "Argentina: Less Than Half Of The Country's Navy Vessels Are Operational" International 0
MoD_RSS Announcement: Foreign Office Minister summons Israeli Ambassador to express deep conc MoD News 0
soleil Express: "Royal Navy Is Now 'Too Small' To Protect Britain" The Fleet 7
soleil Express: "Navy Sub's Radiation Leak Scare" Submariners 8
soleil Herald Express: "150th Anniversary Of The RN’s Link With The Town Of Dartmouth" Bases / Shore Est 3
soleil Express: "No Bridge Over Troubled Waters As We Square Up To Iceland Again" History 0
soleil Express: "French ... With Lots Of Tears" The Fleet Air Arm 11
Polto Express: "Navy Red-Faced As Nuke Sub Stranded In The USA" Submariners 25
soleil Express: "Hero Medals Stolen" Social & Reunions 1
soleil Paisley Daily Express: "Words Kept Jim Warm At Sea" History 1
soleil Yeovil Express: "Royal Navy Pride For X Factor Winners Little Mix" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Yeovil Express: "Beards Galore At RNAS Yeovilton...Well Nearly!" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Yeovil Express: "Yeovilton Crews To Meet Prince Charles" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Yeovil Express: "845 NAS Wins Desmond Wettern Award" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Yeovil Express: "Archbishop Of Canterbury At RNAS Yeovilton" The Fleet Air Arm 2
soleil Express: "Pirates Foiled As Navy Strikes Again" The Fleet 1
soleil Express: "Pirates Outwit Us, Says Royal Marine" Current Affairs 1
soleil Express: "Yo-Ho-Ho For Tot – 35,000 Times" The Quarterdeck 3
S Daily Express The Gash Barge 3
soleil Express: British Firm Finds Weapon To Defeat Somali Pirates ... Golf Balls Current Affairs 6
soleil Sussex Express: "Hellingly Navy Commander Book Signing" The Book Club 0
soleil Express: "Yacht Couple Demand Navy Warship Escort" The Fleet 11
soleil Daily Express: "Pirates: The Shocking Truth" Current Affairs 3
soleil Sunday Express: "Terrible Fate Of The Boy Sailors" History 4
soleil Express: "Military Declares War On Home Front Fiddlers" Current Affairs 3
soleil Paisley Express: "MA Stephanie wins the Vanguard Trophy" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Express: "National Express slashes prices for Armed Forces" Finance & Pensions 1
soleil Express: "Royal Navy's Woman Stunt Pilot" The Fleet Air Arm 16
soleil Express: "Al Qaeda tells followers to launch attacks on RN" Current Affairs 9
soleil Navy News: "Express growing grey with age" The Fleet 0
soleil Express and Star: "Family of hero will receive top honour" The Fleet Air Arm 2
soleil Herald Express: "Ark Royal basks in Bay sunshine" The Fleet 0
soleil Herald Express: "Dan's on his way to a high-flying career!" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Herald Express: "BRNC Donates £10,000 to charities" Bases / Shore Est 0
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

New Posts

Top