Express: "DISGRACE: War Hero Banned From Veteran's Parade For Being 'Too Old'"

In response to Monty's post, I was unilaterly upgrading from DEFCON Disgrace to DEFCON Outrage as I'd included a spurious immigrant (in true Wail style) to get the bus out of the garage.

In response to Monty's post, I was unilaterly upgrading from DEFCON Disgrace to DEFCON Outrage as I'd included a spurious immigrant (in true Wail style) to get the bus out of the garage.
DEFCON Disgrace to DEFCON Outrage.

Pure genius! I'm going to pinch that for use another time methinks.

I think the beret badge is a Legion one Busterquin will no doubt know for sure, and as it's the Wail though, one thing did stick out, "he was awarded the International Submarine Medal"..er, no he wasn't. It's a made up medal from a website that makes these things, costs about £30 a go and totally un-official, but at least it'll add fuel to the bus, which is no doubt warming up now the Wail has it.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I think the beret badge is a Legion one Busterquin will no doubt know for sure, and as it's the Wail though, one thing did stick out, "he was awarded the International Submarine Medal"..er, no he wasn't. It's a made up medal from a website that makes these things, costs about £30 a go and totally un-official, but at least it'll add fuel to the bus, which is no doubt warming up now the Wail has it.
Ah, gotcha, I can make it out now.

Yep his official medals appear to be the 1939-45 Star, Atlantic Star, Burma Star, 39-45 Defence Medal & the War Medal

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
A genuine query; "What's that beret badge he's wearing?"
A genuine query; "Why is Sol continually posting links to a "story" [sic] that is not really a story in the first place?"

Funny how this has been published now rather than some weeks ago when presumably the RBL and other organisers were planning their Remembrance events, and this predicament would've identified? :roll:

Last edited:
Maybe to stimulate debate, maybe to give those of us who dont take the Mail an insight to its content, maybe to start a thread to see where it goes, maybe to wind people up, whatever, imo, her contributions add to the site and would, again imo be a loss should she cease posting.

Last edited:

cjg375

Lantern Swinger
A genuine query; "Why is Sol continually posting links to a "story" [sic] that is not really a story in the first place?"

Funny how this has been published now rather than some weeks ago when presumably the RBL and other organisers were planning their Remembrance events, and this predicament would've identified? :roll:
From what I can see Sol posts links to any story that might have a connection to something on the site and doesn't put her own spin on what's good or not. She leaves that to the other members to discuss. Pretty good IMHO.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Maybe to stimulate debate, maybe to give those of us who dont take the Mail an insight to its content, maybe to start a thread to see where it goes, maybe to wind people up, whatever, imo, her contributions add to the site and would, again imo be a loss should she cease posting.
Concur. I'd rather scroll past a post about an RN-related news story I've already clocked than risk missing something that might be of particular interest.

Some excerpts from a RBL directive we received last year, unfortunately due to the culture of litigation we seem to live these days the RBL must guard itself against the money grabbing 'claims'r'us' types
THE ROYAL BRITISH LEGION STANDARD BEARER AND STANDARD BEARER JUDGES PHYSICAL FITNESS CONFIRMATION

SECTION A – STANDARD BEARER/STANDARD BEARER JUDGE
Full Name: _______________________________
I acknowledge that:

1. During Competitions and Parades The Royal British Legion will make every effort to ensure my safety. However, as with any physical activity, I acknowledge that there are health risks and a minimum level of physical fitness required.
  2. Chapter 6 of the Ceremonial Handbook stipulates that a Standard Bearer should be “physically fit and well able to handle the Standard under all conditions”.
In signing this form I am confirming that, in accordance with Chapter 6 of the Ceremonial handbook, I have read and understood the responsibilities and risks associated with Standard Bearing and Judging, including but not limited to:

• Standard Bearing/Judging is a physical activity and so I must ensure I am both physically fit and strong enough to carry a Standard in all reasonable weather conditions.
  • As a Standard Bearer I will be expected to be able to carry a Standard which is eight foot long and up to 3.5kg in weight (in wet or windy weather conditions Standards may become heavier and/or difficult to hold upright).
  • Some actions such as Dips may put a strain on the carriers back and shoulders.
  • If I am in receipt of any disability related allowance or benefit I must inform the appropriate authorities of my intention to undertake the role of Standard Bearer and/or Judge as this may affect my eligibility status.

1. If I am over the age of eighty-five I am not fully covered by Legion Personal Accidental or Public Liability Insurance whilst undertaking Legion duties.*
In signing this form I confirm that, to my knowledge, I have no physical conditions or disability that could potentially put myself or others at harm whilst performing my duties as a Standard Bearer/Standard Bearer Judge. If I have, or suspect I have, a health problem which means I may not be able to fulfil all duties required of the role safely, I undertake to inform the appropriate Ceremonial Officer in charge of the Competition/Parade.

It's in the Express, like the Mail stories there will be an element of truth in the story but very slanted to the newspapers agenda. My wife is involved with a local charity that puts on an annual fire show. They have to have insurance for a) the council insist on it before they will grant a licence. b) to watch their own backs in case of a claim. It is the insurance companies and local authorities that make all these rules, so no doubt the RBL has it"s hands tied.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G The Corps 17
slim Diamond Lil's 36
Seadog Current Affairs 2