Express: "DISGRACE: War Hero Banned From Veteran's Parade For Being 'Too Old'"

Discussion in 'Charity' started by soleil, Nov 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "Royal Navy legend Albert 'Dusty' Miller served his country with distinction in World War Two.

He earned countless medals and recognition for his bravery, first in the Atlantic convoys and later as a submariner in the Burma campaign.

But the 89-year-old, who has been a parade marshal for the Royal British Legion for nearly 40 years, has now been told he can no longer represent veterans - because he's too old."

Royal Navy hero tells how Hitler couldn't stop him but health and safety zealots have | UK | News | Daily Express

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Why let a sensationalist headline get in the way of the truth..? :roll:

• Like Like x 1
  3. The worlds gone mad. Insurance required to cover a parade marshall?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

4. Im afraid thats how it is now .we used to have a reunion in Scrborough every year but had to stop the other year (we moved to brid) because the authorities wanted something like 1000 or more for police and other things .The first year this happened the moterbike riders club did the out riding for the parade but they soon stopped that

5. I don't see what all the fuss is about, the time comes to us all when we are not as physically able as we used to be. I mean we can't have some old duffer even if he is a legend holding up the march past or putting everyone out of step with his shuffling, can we?

• Like Like x 3
  6. So is he banned from the ceremony or just banned from being some kind of marshal? Is this marshal responsible for other peoples health and safety? Im not sure whats happened but I'm guessing its not as bad as what the headline makes out.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bloody hell, ours looks like old man steptoe and just as old.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

8. It says he joined aged 16 as a cadet...........looking at his photo in his tiddly suit it seems it was all downhill from then.

9. Some ******** in this old boy's local council probably 'flagged up' the H&S issue in one of a million planning meetings and had his cock stroked for being a 'forward thinker'.

The problem, as anyone who has worked in a local authority will be able to corroborate, is the fact that these institutions are run by the biggest bunch of fcukwits ever to grace the earth.Either falling asleep in meetings after the free lunch or going from one endless meeting to the next and achieving sweet F.A. Middle management are a joke and the biggest thieves of public money this country has. None of it accounted for - they're all spineless to boot yet keen to control what the rest of the population do because they Work At The Town Hall.

Media marketing, HR and Health and Safety departments kill off most initiative going. If you have any drive, you don't last long.

This old veteran would be best off going to the next borough's parade next year and hope they aren't quite so useless.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  10. Or perhaps he just is to old to carry on with it, despite what he says.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Stop being sensible Wrecks. It's outrage Sunday and you're not playing.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Submariner in the jungle? Nasty...

13. Sorry....it's a ****in' outrage, where's the bus, bloody immigrants...oops wrong rant.

14. Did you not read the thread title? It's a DISGRACE.

15. Outrageous! I am sure they made that decision purely to mug him off, selfish swines.

16. i don't corroborate (whatever the hell that actually means).

17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Yeah, the selfish swines! How dare they try to promote good working practices in order to prevent harm, injury or death... :oops:

Great; nobody's stopping him. Neither is anybody "banning" him from paying his respects; he can do what he wants, where he wants. Just not on this particular parade.

18. So I'm sensing the bus can stay in the MT section till further notice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. My two penneth worth, from the way I read the story, they are not stopping him marching, but are not allowing him to be a marshal, its got sod all to do with the local authority/government/H&S Executive.

The Local RBL are required to insure their officials on events, their insurers are stating that they will not accept liability for any one over a certain age. Ageist, probably to a degree. Good business sense, yes. Fair on Dusty, No. Outrage bus back to the garage on this one please

20. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's a disgrace. I didn't see this post until Monday and missed outrage Sunday. Why wasn't I told? What kind of forum is this?

By the way, what's the beret badge in the picture?