Explosion! Museum of Naval Firepower - Special Events

For all you ex-TAS apes, bullet bosuns, sundodgers and others, the Explosion! Museum of Naval Firepower at Priddy's Hard in Gosport is planning these special events. Owing to a shortage of exhibiting space, most of the museum's artefacts are in the reserve collection and these tours provide rare opportunities to see items not normally displayed:

Mark Farrance 19 May 2010 said:
Dear All,

Just a little reminder of our two remaining events in May for Museum and Galleries Month.

This Sunday, 23rd of May, we have our behind the scenes tour of building 309. The tour will last about 45mins and include the following weapon systems: -

Mark 10 Anti Submarine Mortar, Spearfish Torpedo, 40mm Bofors and other related weapons.

On Sunday 30th of May, John Coker returns to the Conference Hall for another talk. John’s talk will explore the processes and procedure to bring the UK Polaris into service. The talk will include a guided walk to visit the Museum Reserve Collection.

For more information about these events, or to book a space, simply reply to this email or telephone 023 925 5600.

Kind Regards,

Marc

Marc Farrance
Visitor Services Officer
Explosion! Museum of Naval Firepower
Heritage Way
Priddy's Hard
Gosport
Hants
PO12 4LE

Tel: 02392 505603

NG, having worked as a volunteer, prior to the museum opening, I can assure you that probably only 10% of the sum total of artefacts are on display. I did suggest that to give the public some idea of how items were refurbished a "walk through" be establish in one of the workshops. It was not taken up because of "'elf n safety". When I asked who's, I was told to stop putting forward stupid ideas and not overstep the mark as a volunteer, after all what did I know of Priddys Hard. When I pointed out that I had worked there and knew about what went on, it was met with the same apathy.

And to make it easier to get to:

People in Portsmouth will soon be able to hop on a waterbus across the harbour to the Royal Navy Submarine Museum in Gosport.

The new link will transport visitors from Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and Gunwharf Quays to the submarine museum and Explosion in Gosport.
Portsmouth News Link

onions said:
NG, having worked as a volunteer, prior to the museum opening, I can assure you that probably only 10% of the sum total of artefacts are on display. I did suggest that to give the public some idea of how items were refurbished a "walk through" be establish in one of the workshops. It was not taken up because of "'elf n safety". When I asked who's, I was told to stop putting forward stupid ideas and not overstep the mark as a volunteer, after all what did I know of Priddys Hard. When I pointed out that I had worked there and knew about what went on, it was met with the same apathy.
I suspect we may have enjoyed the odd wobbly coffee together during the museum's early days. :)

TattooDog said:
And to make it easier to get to:

People in Portsmouth will soon be able to hop on a waterbus across the harbour to the Royal Navy Submarine Museum in Gosport.

The new link will transport visitors from Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and Gunwharf Quays to the submarine museum and Explosion in Gosport.
Portsmouth News Link
Cheers for that TD as I will be in the area from 29th May.

I detect the blinkerd short sighted apathy and the " Ohh Cant Do That " ethos that is slowly strangling any forward motion in this fair land.

If I hear anyone else where I am currently employed state,

" Why do we do it that way?, well we have always done it that way, we cant change now"

I will fall to the ground and hold my breath!!!

Many, many years ago, I had to go to a pre WINTEX/CIMEX/PROUD AMAZON "war planning" presentation in RNAD Priddy's Hard. Being Winter, the PAS boat was cancelled due crap WX. To fill the time, we had a bimble round the, then, RNAD PH Museum. The bloke who I was with was fascinated by the ancient documents and ledger pages; no interest at all in the whoosh/bang kit that had been lovingly displayed. It was the first time I'd seen a MK8 torpedo motor cut into educational sections. That was fascinating; not the bloody bumf!

He went on to high altitude great things. I spent years as a passed-over loggie. That museum taught me a number of things. Glad it's well and thriving, alas no longer on Aunty Betty's S1099.

Another special event:

Marc Farrance 1 June 2010 said:
The Museum of Naval Firepower at Priddy’s Hard in Gosport is delighted to announce its participation in the community event ‘Gosport’s Big Day Out’, on Sunday the 13th of June 2010. As part of the event, Gosport Residents can tour the Museum galleries for FREE.

Gosport Residents have been offered free entry to the Museum as part of the ‘Big Day Out’ although residents will need to show proof of residency on arrival (a household bill or similar document will be sufficient).

Marc Farrance, Visitor Services Officer at The Museum of Naval Firepower said, “People tend not to visit Museums and other attractions on their doorsteps, even when these Museums have a national or even international significance. Gosport’s Big Day Out represents a great opportunity for local people to explore many of Gosport’s hidden treasures, we hope many local residents will visit the Museum and other participating attractions in Gosportâ€.

More information on this and other events can be found by visiting www.explosion.org.uk.

Kind Regards,

Marc

Marc Farrance
Visitor Services Officer
Explosion! Museum of Naval Firepower
Heritage Way
Priddy's Hard
Gosport
Hants
PO12 4LE

Tel: 02392 505603