Explanation of service record

Hi, I am researching my family tree and have just obtained my grandfathers RN service record from the national archives and was hoping someone may be able to help answer some questions about it. He served between 1929 and 1952.

Firstly, it lists as his "Trade or Occupation" as "Messenger" can anyone explain exactly what a messenger was and what they did ?.

Secondly, listed on the right are "Badges G. D. or R." see below,
RN Badges.JPG

can anyone explain the meaning of the letters in the G. D. or R. column.

Thanks

Dusty70

War Hero
I think it refers to good conduct badges, it would appear ( and I'm happy to be corrected)

on 10/6/32 he got his first good conduct badge
on 26/3/35 he was 'naughty' and lost it (in red)
24/9/35 he was once again awarded his first good conduct badge
24/9/37 he got his second
on date unlisted he was awarded his third and this should have been 24/9/42

No idea about messenger - was that what he was for his whole career or just on one ship/shore base ??

Hi Dusty70,

Thanks for the quick response, your explanation makes sense, I have found a comment further down in red ink listing contempt which would match up with the entry also in red ink.
with reference to the "messenger" it was typed at the top of his record along with his name DOB, place of birth, service number etc. so I guess it was when he started in 1929 but there is nothing else in his record apart from his progression through the ratings that obviously changes.

Dusty70

War Hero
Not sure it existed - see below

http://rnranksratings.com/NEW2/

some old and bold may correct me but I thought there were messengers from the Bridge to the other parts of the ship, anyone of any branch could get detailed off to do that - there were 'messenger lines' when ships were RASing but they were usually seamen

Can't really help without seeing the record I'm afraid

Dusty70

War Hero
No Onions was right - that was his occupation before he joined

If you look at the Rating and Discharge column he was in Jan 29 a Boy seaman
June 29 Ordinary seaman
Dec 30 Able Seaman

Don't forget in 1929 they left school around 12 or 13 (or earlier) and messenger makes sense of a 'lads' trade

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Explanation of Vote on Non-proliferation (Iran) resolution MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 42: UK Explanation of Vote on Venezuela MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 42 - UK Explanation of Vote MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Explanation of vote in UNSCR to establish investigation in Syria MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UN Security Council: explanation of vote on the Syria resolution MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER Explanation of the Syria situation. Diamond Lil's 38
janner A damn fine explanation Miscellaneous 0
IcemanR6 Electrical Circuit.. quick explanation please.. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
T JPA delays... explanation from MOD PUSS Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 28
P Question for HM officers and those with an in-service degree Joining the Royal Navy 3
MoD_RSS Simon Case appointed as Cabinet Secretary and Head of the Civil Service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Veterans UK looking for new ways to help ease the pressure on the National Health Service and continue processing claims safely MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DVSA response to problems with driving test booking service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Flexible Service: Corporal Albert McDonald MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Flexible Service: Lance Corporal Kelly Hawthorne MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Flexible Service: Squadron Leader Tom Goble MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Flexible Service: Lieutenant Commander Becky Everest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Flexible Service: Lance Corporal Rosemarie Coetzer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Flexible Service: Lieutenant Sally Ashlin MoD News 0
C MEO(SM) - Submarine Service Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Improving Student Loans Company service for customers in repayment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Test and Trace service reaches more than 250,000 people since launch MoD News 0
C National Service and Special Branch query History 19
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace service to strengthen regional contact tracing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rail passengers see major service boost with new £40 million Stevenage station platform MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Appointment of the new Chief of the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6) MoD News 0
D Service Family Accommodation Nearest & Dearest 8
MoD_RSS The Insolvency Service newsletter: Summer 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New online service to improve Lasting Power of Attorney MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Public service pensions update: a GAD technical bulletin MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Alex Chisholm speech at Civil Service Live 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Online Repayment Service - you talked, we listened MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Stable service delivery for tenants continues in social housing sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS SLC Launches New Online Repayment Service MoD News 0
T What is the contract of service for the royal navy rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Coronavirus recovery in Her Majesty’s Court and Tribunal Service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS “The privilege of public service” given as the Ditchley Annual Lecture MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DWP service update MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DWP service update MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Extra UK Government funding for service charities supporting people across Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Extra funding for service charities as veterans’ support is stepped up MoD News 0
MoD_RSS SLC unveils new Digital Evidence Submission service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Register for Civil Service Live Online now MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Problem with Companies House email service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DVLA launches online service to change address on vehicle log book (V5C) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Local authorities across England receive funding to support new Test and Trace service MoD News 0
C Submarine Service Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
G Why is Length of Service so short? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
MoD_RSS National Careers Service Virtual Jobs Fair returns on June 8 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Welsh winners of the 2020 Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service announced MoD News 0